Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

Olympiad selections [2004]

Who will get selected for the Australian Olympiad squad this year?

Last time we had Rogers, Johansen, Lane, Wohl, Speck and Gluzman.

This year, I think that Rogers, Johansen and Lane are 100% sure of being selected.

Of the other 3 players chosen last year, I think Wohl will also make it, as he has had significant overseas experience, and has been a regular feature of the Australian squad, even though his Olympiad form is a little bit disapointing.

The other 2 spots are wide open. As the joint Australian Champ,Speck was I believe a good choice last year, but this year, Speck and Gluzman have not played in the Australian Champs. neither did Jean paul wallace. Smeardon I thought would have been a good chance, but he had a disapointing Australian Champs by his standard. Chapman, Tao, Solomon all I though played well in the Champs.

I am unsure who will get the last 2 spots, and the competition for that will be strong. I think the next major tournament, the Doberl, will provide a good indication of the current form of these contenders.

I wish that like laura moylan in the ffemale olympiad, we give a young male person one of the positions, and hope Zhao or Smeardon makes it. If Smeardon repeats his Doberl form of a coupleof years ago, where he beat both our GMs, he will make up for the recent Australian Champs form, and hopefully be in contention

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I won't be discussing the merits of players for selection just in case I get asked to be a selector again. I do think it's worth pointing out though, that last Olympiad we originally selected Wallace at board 4 (on tiebreak over Wohl who had the same vote tally), and Wallace's withdrawal paved the way for Gluzman (who had previously unsuccessfully appealled against Speck's selection at 6) to come into the side.

Hi all,

I have had some discussions and will continue to discuss the appointment of a well credentialed Selection Coordinator for the Olympiad squad.

I am not going to be a selector so yes the two Grandmasters and Gary seem standouts. The other positions in the mens team are ????

In the Womens squad the two women who have recently changed countries and are eligible to play for Australia will I believe put pressure on the entire Women's Squad which is a fantastic thing.

First things first I have to find an experienced top player who will not be interested in going for the Olympiad themselves but who has the tenacity and desire to do a great job and withstand the anticipated political upsets which for some reason seems to accompany Olympiad Selections.

Regards
    George Howard

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by george
    Hi all,

I have had some discussions and will continue to discuss the appointment of a well credentialed Selection Coordinator for the Olympiad squad.

I am not going to be a selector so yes the two Grandmasters and Gary seem standouts. The other positions in the mens team are ????

In the Womens squad the two women who have recently changed countries and are eligible to play for Australia will I believe put pressure on the entire Women's Squad which is a fantastic thing.

First things first I have to find an experienced top player who will not be interested in going for the Olympiad themselves but who has the tenacity and desire to do a great job and withstand the anticipated political upsets which for some reason seems to accompany Olympiad Selections.

Regards
    George Howard
    1. That arises a good point. What are the credintials to be a good olympic selector?

We know it should not be someone who plays for other olympiad countries ( ), but should it be someone one who will not playing in the current Olypiad may well be a candidate in future years, or someone who has played a lot and has retired from Olypiad selection (a Peter Parr or a Jamision for example) or should it be the team manager (jason, manuel etc)

2. I think Rogers, Johansen, Lane, Wohl for sure, with teh other 2 positions too close to call...maybe after the Doberl we will be better informed

3. As for the women who changed countries, do they have to be Australian citizens to play for Australia, or is merely being a resident here enough to enable you to play for Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    We know it should not be someone who plays for other olympiad countries ( ), but should it be someone one who will not playing in the current Olypiad may well be a candidate in future years, or someone who has played a lot and has retired from Olypiad selection (a Peter Parr or a Jamision for example) or should it be the team manager (jason, manuel etc)
    It cannot be a potential team captain due to possible conflict of interest.

CL, George here is only asking for applications for the post of Selection Co-Ordinator. This is a secretarial type task that does not involve any actual selection duties, but involves receiving + distributing relevant selection material to the relevant people, and tallying the votes of the selectors.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    CL, George here is only asking for applications for the post of Selection Co-Ordinator. This is a secretarial type task that does not involve any actual selection duties, but involves receiving + distributing relevant selection material to the relevant people, and tallying the votes of the selectors.
    if that is the case, then why ask for an "appointment of a well credentialed Selection Coordinator for the Olympiad squad"? If it is a secretarial role, any person can do it?

George may have different expectations for this role than you. After all George has asked for "an experienced top player who will not be interested in going for the Olympiad themselves". Most certainly does not seem like a secretarial role :?

Hi All,

Certainly it has a major secretarial role but also the person has to keep faith with all parties - therefore experience diplomacy and someone who can give advice as to the choice of Selectors.

The person also needs to be familiar with the ACF by-laws to correctly implement the by-laws thus making the process transparent. The role is spelt out in ACF by-laws.

Regards
    George Howard

George may have different expectations for this role than you. After all George has asked for "an experienced top player who will not be interested in going for the Olympiad themselves". Most certainly does not seem like a secretarial role :?
    i would take this to mean attempting to avoid a conflict of interest argument all the way down the line, remember how these selections are rather subjective, so it is wise to try and remove conflict of interest allegations as much as possible.

CC International Master

3. As for the women who changed countries, do they have to be Australian citizens to play for Australia, or is merely being a resident here enough to enable you to play for Australia?
    The eligibility rules are in C.05 of the FIDE Handbook:

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=C05

if that is the case, then why ask for an "appointment of a well credentialed Selection Coordinator for the Olympiad squad"? If it is a secretarial role, any person can do it?

It is certainly a position which requires the admin skills and experience to avoid mistakes and get things done in time, as George says. The tasks involved can be politically sensitive as we have seen with the World Junior selection issues. I cannot see why a "top player" is necessarily required though - for instance Gary Bekker filled the role for the last Olympiad and his ACF rating is in the 1500s.

There is one part which is not "secretarial" in nature - which is to advise Council on the selection of selectors, if required. All I meant to say was that the selection Co-Ordinator doesn't have any direct input on picking the players.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout

The eligibility rules are in C.05 of the FIDE Handbook:

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=C05
    Thanks Ian for this

Hi Kevin,

Your absolutely correct Kevin the Co-ordinator has no say in the selection of players - in fact the Council if it so wishes may override both the Selectors and Selections but correct me if I am wrong this has not been done.

The Council can take on the role of appointing selectors but this is something the Selection Co-ordinator usually takes on . Therefore he or she has to ask the selectors are they in fact thinking of nominating for the Olympiad Squad - top players may be reticent about divulging this unless they know the person and trust the person and this usually means smeone who they know on the chess scene ie a top player - but Kevin is right there is no real need for it to be a top player merely someone whom the top players respect.

Its my job to see the By-laws are implemented in the most faithful way and with the least upset to those whom are unfortunate in missing out - this obviously requires diplomacy on the part of Selection Co-ordinator myself and the Council.

Regards
    George Howard

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    It is certainly a position which requires the admin skills and experience to avoid mistakes and get things done in time, as George says. The tasks involved can be politically sensitive as we have seen with the World Junior selection issues. I cannot see why a "top player" is necessarily required though - for instance Gary Bekker filled the role for the last Olympiad and his ACF rating is in the 1500s.

There is one part which is not "secretarial" in nature - which is to advise Council on the selection of selectors, if required. All I meant to say was that the selection Co-Ordinator doesn't have any direct input on picking the players.
    Yes, I get your point now

and thus I agree with you, that you do not need a "top player" to do this job. It can be done by someone even in their 1200s as long as they have the integrity, acceptability, knowledge and diplomatic skills - as they will not be judging the players. I would have thought a chess administrator rather than a player would be the best suited

But I think like almost all selections there will still be upset people and controversy and debates

Even fi you think Wohl is not an automatic choice, given that Rogers, Johansen and Lane are in, that leaves just 3 spots open for our crop of talented candidates

Hi All,

Just another point - the Open Team doesnt have to be all males.

Anyway must go regards all!!

George Howard

Thread Information