View Poll Results: Accept queen start from God?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am with Steinitz(?)

3 100.00%
  • Would accept queen start from I Rogers @ $100 game

3 100.00%
  • Would accept bishop start from B.G. @ $100 a game

2 66.67%
  • Would give Matt bishop start @ $100 a game

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar

God giving queen start

World champion Steinitz (?) is quoted as saying that "not even God could give him a queen start".

If God offered you a queen start would you accept?

Multiply voting allowed, confidential poll
    Last edited by antichrist; 28-06-2005 at 04:03 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    mate, you've lost the plot now

if in the morning you knocked on the doors of a psychiatric facility and asked to play a game of chess against "God" ... you'd be fully preoccupied competing in a large simul that afternoon and evening ...

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by the method man
    mate, you've lost the plot now
    What do you mean "now"?

AB
    Correspondence Chess Australia (CCA) Weblog - http://correspondencechess.blogspot.com
    Correspondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA) Bulletin Board - http://ccla.caissa.cc/forum

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Another option?

This poll fails to include the now trademark 'Another silly poll by a/c' . I suppose the poll is silly enough as a/c knows, that no comment is required.

A further chess reference to the almighty God is: The late C.H.O'D Alexander wrote that "If God played God in the Benoni, I think that White would win; at lower levels, however, Black has excellent chances." ( Sourced from "The Benoni for the tournament player" by John Nunn, Batsford 1982)

As it is, I don't think that one is supposed to set oneself up as competition for God; unless of course ( gasp, horror!!!) one were the ( gasp horror!!)...

All the best and God Bless,
    Macavity

NB.-esp A/C

Just out of interest, does anyone know how the name Benoni came about? From my (limited) understanding of Aramaic, Ben-Oni means "Son of Sorrow". Is that supposed to be some indication of Black's chances?

AB
    Correspondence Chess Australia (CCA) Weblog - http://correspondencechess.blogspot.com
    Correspondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA) Bulletin Board - http://ccla.caissa.cc/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bellette
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how the name Benoni came about? From my (limited) understanding of Aramaic, Ben-Oni means "Son of Sorrow". Is that supposed to be some indication of Black's chances?

AB
    The Oxford Companion of Chess states:

The name comes from Ben-Oni oder die Vertheidigungen die Gambitzuge im Schach by Aaron Reinganum published in 1825. Ben-Oni is Hebrew for 'child of my sorrow'. When he was depressed Reinganum turned to his chessboard, and the book was the result of his analysis.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

While you are there Bill, Queens Gambit previously was Leppo, Lippo or El Leppo. Is it named after Leppo in Syria? Where I don't think they even play much chess.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    While you are there Bill, Queens Gambit previously was Leppo, Lippo or El Leppo. Is it named after Leppo in Syria? Where I don't think they even play much chess.
    Now although the Queen's Gambit was first mentioned by Lucena, the opening was recommended by Stamma, after whose home town, Aleppo, it is sometimes named.

The Aleppo Gambit is the obsolete name for the Queen's Gambit.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    From another Source:
    Benoni Tale

Rachel is dying in childbed

Jakob: He is of the rightful - and his name shall be Ben-Jamin ( Son of Joy )
    Rachel :No - I know better. Ben - Oni is the name of the new-born"

The name Ben-Oni was an allusion to the town of On in Egypt, the town where Osiris reigned - Osiris, Lord of the Dead.
    And to the emotional mind Ben - Oni equalled "Son of Death"

With apologies to Thomas Mann: Josef and his brothers, 1933, and to the old testament

- from Introductory page of " Son of Sorrow: Modern Benoni: Survry of a Structure" by Steffen Zeuthen, published by Zeuss Transactions, Denmark 1973

Take care and God Bless,
    Macavity

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Now although the Queen's Gambit was first mentioned by Lucena, the opening was recommended by Stamma, after whose home town, Aleppo, it is sometimes named.

The Aleppo Gambit is the obsolete name for the Queen's Gambit.
    Thanks, and yes it is Aleppo, Syria, I have found out.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I think anyone above about 1700 strength would vote yes to all the poll options, if they bothered voting at all. (Although, of course, the first one is a hypothetical because I don't believe God exists.)

I don't like odds games personally, and generally don't play them. They're just not chess.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    (Although, of course, the first one is a hypothetical because I don't believe God exists.)
    so then you would win on time

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    so then you would win on time
    Or, to be pedantic, KB would win on forfeit as God would not arrive at the chessboard within an hour of the prescribed starting time. Indeed, if she doesn't exist she wouldn't arrive at all.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Amusingly the wording of 6.7 actually makes no reference to the case of a player not arriving at all. It only refers to players arriving more than an hour late although it is universally understood to mean "fails to arrive ... within one hour after the scheduled start of the session" whether the player actually arrives or not.

This reminds me of the time there was some kind of atheists vs Christians debate in the ACF newsletter (of all places - no idea what started it) and I interjected with a silly discussion of whether DOPs who believe God exists should penalise players praying during their games for having recourse to sources of advice under 12.2a.

A brief search of the FIDE rating list reveals no Gods but over 100 Jesuses.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 07-07-2005 at 07:15 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information