CC Candidate Master

The Lisitsyn Gambit

I came over this opening in a book made by Eduard Gufeld, and I like the structure and play of it, though it seems odd there is little to no theory of it other than the name in the book. Could someone help me?

1. Nf3 f5
    Ultimate Patzer!

I have an exceedingly limited file of ECO stuff which shows the opening code for this as A04. There are a couple of variants. One shows this as a Reti-Dutch, there's also an immediate Pirc-Lisitsin gambit by White (2.e4) and a deferred Lisitsin gambit where White first plays 2.d3 and then 3.e4

I don't mind playing the Black side of a Reti-Dutch style setup, but I usually defer f5 until I am sure that White is playing a "normal" (quiet) Reti. That way f5 makes them think for a bit and they know I'm up for a fight. If someone played 1.Nf3 f5 2.e4 I would be feeling a bit uncomfortable as Black I think ... "out of book", etc. So I usually play g6 and Bg7 first as Black, deferring f5 and Nf6, and am happy enough to go for a Pirc/Modern setup and leave f5 out if I'm not feeling aggressive myself.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I have an exceedingly limited file of ECO stuff which shows the opening code for this as A04. There are a couple of variants. One shows this as a Reti-Dutch, there's also an immediate Pirc-Lisitsin gambit by White (2.e4) and a deferred Lisitsin gambit where White first plays 2.d3 and then 3.e4
    I didn't see any Nf3 f5 e4 games that stood out but here's an interesting one with Nf3 f5 d3 I noticed a while back. Dolmatov gets completely smashed by Carlsen.

[Event "Moscow Aeroflot op"]
    [Site "Moscow"]
    [Date "2004.02.17"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Carlsen,Magnus"]
    [Black "Dolmatov,Sergey"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [Eco "A04"]
    PGN Viewer

I think the reason Black resigned is if gxh4 Nxd5 (threat Qxh8+) Qg5+(for example) f4 Qxg2 Nf6 bites down on the Bd7 and Black's busted.
    Last edited by Lucena; 14-06-2005 at 12:18 AM.

Thread Information