Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commonman 2005

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar

Commonman 2005

C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N
    and
    NSW Open Transfer Chess Championship

100% of all entry fees paid back in prizes!

Commonman Weekender entry $40 ($20 for Health Card holders). Prizes: 1st and 2nd will be the same in 3 to 5 equally sized rating divisions, and pro rata 2 equally sized junior rating divisions. Juniors eligible for junior prizes only. Estimate 1st places $120, 2nd places $80.

NSW Open Transfer entry $20 per team. Outright 1st wins Trophy + all non-Junior entry fees collected. Best performed Junior team (1st) wins all junior entry fees collected + Trophy. (This Championship is not currently a NSWCA recognised title - we live in hope - so please bring a clock if you have one.)

Commonman Weekender: 25/26 June 2005. Entries from 10 am. Half point bye available by arrangement. Games 60 min followed by 10 sec/move.

Saturday R1 10:30, Lunch 12:30, R2 1:00, R3 3:15 (Transfer Open starts Saturday 7 pm) Sunday R4 10:00, Lunch 12:00, R5 1:00, R6 3:15, and an early finish ~5:30 and Free Beer! (or other drink)

NSW Open Transfer: Saturday evening 25th June 2005. ***Entries can only be made in person between 10:00 and 10:30 am.*** 7 round Swiss, start 7 pm, finish 9 pm.

Venue: Wollongong Collegians Club, Princes Highway Wollongong 30 minute drive from Sutherland, or 2.5 hours from Canberra.

Accommodation less than $100 for 2 persons: Keiraview Accommodation 4229 9700, Downtown Motel 42298344, Sky Accommodation 4228 9320.

Info: Matthew Sweeney, 42299107, 0402407873, mhjs@bigpond.net.au, http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mazzieri/chess/wgong.htm

This weekend!

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Matt, about two years ago when a put a blurb up for the SEC, in the same thread you posted a below-the-belt piece telling people to go to the Doeberl instead - not very nice you know. I wonder if I should try and sabotage your Commonman tourney?

Your sins will find you out.
    Last edited by antichrist; 20-06-2005 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Matt, about two years ago when a put a blurb up for the SEC, in the same thread you posted a below-the-belt piece telling people to go to the Doeberl instead - not very nice you know. I wonder if I should try and sabotage your Commonman tourney?

Your sins will find you out.
    If I remember correctly - and you are welcome to research it and correct me if I am wrong - I started by being very antiSEC and finished up some time later, changing to a pro stance. I think it was along the lines of, "If you CANNOT play Doeberl, the SEC is a good option. If you CAN play Doeberl, that is where you ought to be." The entry stats confirmed that the SEC was not a threat to Deoberl and that is why I gave it the OK.

Please Peter, I am not your enemy, so can we not start a some silly flame war.

CC Rookie
    This transfer tournament was well advertised and it could be good only I think its a bit too short.
    7 rounds for a chess tournament is ok but its not enough for a transfer tournament because transfer games last only 5 minutes and not 3 hours. There should be 7 rounds and 4 games in each round against the same opponent, for a total of 28 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Bjelobrk
    This transfer tournament was well advertised and it could be good only I think its a bit too short.
    7 rounds for a chess tournament is ok but its not enough for a transfer tournament because transfer games last only 5 minutes and not 3 hours. There should be 7 rounds and 4 games in each round against the same opponent, for a total of 28 games.
    Thanks for the advice, Igor. I thought seven rounds would be enough. However, you suggest that teams can play against each other more than once, I s'pose we can at least go to 12 or more games.

Since most people who will be playing the transfer obviously LIKE transfer, I am sure that a proposed increase in the number of games would be acceptable to them.

Yours in Chess
    Matt

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    I will be playing the Common Man.....

I won't be playing the transfer.....

I used to be alright at transfer when i was in high school but back then it wasn't plonk mate and you actually had to work to get checkmate.

I would prefer a seventh round for the Common Man tournament......

Oh well.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    I will be playing the Common Man.....

I won't be playing the transfer.....

I used to be alright at transfer when i was in high school but back then it wasn't plonk mate and you actually had to work to get checkmate.

I would prefer a seventh round for the Common Man tournament......

Oh well.....
    Basically I am against this tourney because it does not attract excellence. When I run a tourney it is the only time when I can boss the big boys around. BTW, who was arbiter for SEC?

CC Grandmaster
    Basically I am against this tourney because it does not attract excellence. When I run a tourney it is the only time when I can boss the big boys around. BTW, who was arbiter for SEC?
    Eh? The SEC doesn't attract excellence either (for different reasons). Why not spread the joy every now and then..

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Bjelobrk
    28 games = 5 hours or more. Could be tricky to fit into the scheduled 2 hour timeslot. If you stretch it to 10:30pm, you could probably manage 7x2 game rounds, but 4 games would be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Eh? The SEC doesn't attract excellence either (for different reasons). Why not spread the joy every now and then..
    Well Matt cannot boss the big boys around because they are disencouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    [To A/C]Why not spread the joy every now and then..

Too right.

Many of us play for the fun of the play and an occational top personal performance. We are the Common Man.

Go here and feel some pride. http://www.ttimbers.com/sound/fanfare.au
    Last edited by PHAT; 23-06-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Well Matt cannot boss the big boys around because they are disencouraged. [bold by MS]
    I think the word you were looking for there, Peter, was "discouraged." Unfortuntately, that word is not correct either. How about we try the word "ignored."

The big boys - as you toadyingly describe them - can choose to play in the Commonman, there by paying due respect to, and encouraging the vast bulk of players who pay for the big Open paypackets all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    I think the word you were looking for there, Peter, was "discouraged." Unfortuntately, that word is not correct either. How about we try the word "ignored."

The big boys - as you toadyingly describe them - can choose to play in the Commonman, there by paying due respect to, and encouraging the vast bulk of players who pay for the big Open paypackets all year.
    next you will be saying that pro-active is wrong as well

CC Grandmaster
    Well Matt cannot boss the big boys around because they are disencouraged.
    Disencouraged - that's a good one: worthy of George W himself

Thread Information