Thread: Wendy Terry

Wendy Terry

I was saddened to hear that Wendy Terry has passed away. She was a charming and enthusiastic member of the Australian female chess population.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Yes, it's some time since I last saw Wendy Terry. The Method Man tells me he saw her at the Surfers Paradise Mindgames event 12 months ago.

She was a keen organiser in Brisbane, particularly with junior chess and womens/disabled chess.

Perhaps somebody in Queensland (Ian Murray?) can provide more details on her long career.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Yes, it's some time since I last saw Wendy Terry. The Method Man tells me he saw her at the Surfers Paradise Mindgames event 12 months ago.

She was a keen organiser in Brisbane, particularly with junior chess and womens/disabled chess.

Perhaps somebody in Queensland (Ian Murray?) can provide more details on her long career.
    yep. i played wendy in that tournament.
    she was a very nice lady.
    and always encouraging the kids (there were quite a few in that tournament!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones

From Graeme Gardiner, sent out as an email to Qld players etc.

This is a special bulletin to report the sad passing of Wendy Terry.

Wendy's husband Clive reports that after struggling with health problems for the last 6 months, Wendy passed away at 10am on Sunday 5th June after two days of hard struggle. Details of the funeral will be in Tuesday's Courier Mail.

Many of you will know that Wendy ran the Rookies Chess Club in Wynnum for many years and was heavily involved with the Queensland Women's Chess League. Many top players, both male and female, have been through Wendy's club over the years. Wendy and Clive for years ran the Chess Association of Queensland as Secretary and Treasurer.

Wendy was for a long time the Queensland rep on the Australian Women's Chess League. Wendy was a great advocate for equity issues involving disabled people. She created and organised the Queensland Veterans and Disabled Championships.

Her energy and achievements were even more remarkable as she was confined to a wheelchair for many years with multiple sclerosis.

Wendy loved the sport of chess, and regrettably she never quite managed to win the Queensland Women's title, although her daughter Andrea won it in 1985.

Up until very recently she was still coaching chess to students at Cleveland Primary School.

Wendy will be sadly missed by the chess community, especially in Queensland.

A full monthly bulletin will be issued next weekend.

With very best wishes to all.

Thread Information