Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Inter School Schermozzle

Round one of the Victorian Interschool competitions today.
    16 children from our school turned up to the host school in anticipation of a great day of chess.
    The host school were expecting us.
    No other school turned up.
    Chess Victoria didn't turn up.
    No notice received from chess Victoria notifying host school or our school of change of plans.
    The kids were disappointed.
    Many parents had taken valuable time off work.
    Other parents expended time and petrol ferrying team members to and from the venue.
    Our school spent $200 to hire as relief teacher for the day.
    Chess Victoria seem uncontactable.
    What a schermozzle.

further more...just last week our school had confirmation of entry to this event on this date at this venue.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    And to think of all the houha of me having an innocent nap at a JCL meeting going late into the night after me commencing work about 6am that morning

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Mischa,

What can I say. A disappointing result, one that clearly demonstrates the amatuerish nature of Victorian chess, not to mention the lack of political will by its leaders to become accountable for things. A sad story of repeated failure to deliver the goods.

Nevertheless, I am amazed the schools almost actually physically participated in the event, since I myself could not decipher the boo-row-crass-tic legality of the forms themselves. I rang up up the Interschool directer (who confused me even more), then had a heated localised discussion with an anonymous friend, over the interpretation of the, said rules. In effect I gave up because I was paralysed, like burdens ass I died not knowing which bale of hay to eat.

Moreover, you have a right to express your disappointment. It is not good enough , a story I have labored time and time again on this BB. No doubt the bots will start complaining about, why don't you change it, when of course, most of them display little interest in the actual reality of the Victorian chess problem.

Anyway, for what it is worth I can offer you this. MCC has all its own equipment and would be willing to provide a venue free of charge and with an arbiter if the appropriate school organisers email me. Please PM me if you want this to happen. Unfortunately, I can not offer anything in relation to Victorian competitions (ie qualifying), but I can guarantee that the kids will be able to play chess against each other in a relaxed and friendly environment.

As a side point, would you be prepared to explain on this forum, who exactly let you down and who organised the particular event.

Cheers Fg7

Hey Klyall....
    you were there and pretty upset too.
    Have you nothing to say about it?

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Can I talk on her behalf, and how come you have all those green lights?

CC FIDE Master

Organisation

You don't need to be intelligent to be organised, but it does help...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberace
    You don't need to be intelligent to be organised, but it does help...
    Lets keep the financially motivated posts to a minimum. (Preferrably zero).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I think the point was made in china trip thread. Desist or this thread will be purged of all marketing material. It's a pity no one from CV has been able to add anything relevent to topic. Of all the posts thus far only fg7 has added anything constructive.
    Last edited by Rincewind; 01-06-2005 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Marketing

Perhaps the problem stems from the lack of a Junior League in Victoria.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I think the point was made in china trip thread. Desist or this thread will be purged of all marketing material. It's a pity no one from CV has been able to add anything relevent to topic. Of all the posts thus far only fg7 has added anything constructive.
    Get it?

(Oh, and now add Bill to list of constructive posters)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I agree entirely. The NSWJCL is probably the best run chess body in the country along with the ACT chess player factory.

Cheers.

Maybe you could enlighten us ignorant victorians as to why there is no junior chess league in the state?

Cheers Fg7

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Maybe you could enlighten us ignorant victorians as to why there is no junior chess league in the state?
    Not all Victorians are ignornant. Perhaps one of them can shed some light on what on my part was clearly a question not a statement.
    After all I simply asked if perhaps the problem is due to Victorias lack of a Junior League.
    Perhaps a Victorian who knows what they are talking about can inform us non Victorians why Victoria seems to have a problem with being able to have a functioning JCL.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Perhaps one of them can shed some light on what on my part was clearly a question not a statement.
    May I suggest that you start getting familiar with this key ?????? That way we can tell if your statement is in fact a question

Perhaps a Victorian who knows what they are talking about can inform us non Victorians why Victoria seems to have a problem with being able to have a functioning JCL.
    Of course the assumption is that because N.S.W has a junior chess league Victoria ought to have one. It has already been clarified why there is no VJCL. We have been informing you for a while, its not a Victorian problem if you cant hear, or then again maybe it is if you wear two hats.

Cheers fg7

Thread Information