Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned

Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series start

The first evening of the Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series began on 9/1/4 as Box Hill opened the Club-rooms for the first time this year.
    Evening number 1 was three rounds of RAPID play at 20 minutes + 10seconds/move. The initial winner, and only picket fence, was Anthony Miller who has taken home all the money on offer in the first evening of this series that will run during the year at various weeks.
    Higher rated players such as Marcus Raine, Howard Liston and Janusz Dutka fell at various hurdles and will have make up lost ground in the next two weeks when the SERIES continues till 23/1/4.
    Visitors are welcome and $5 covers the visitors fee for January.
    Entry fee is also payable.

As an interesting aside, the proprietor of the chess book-room at Box Hill, Marcus Raine, showed me an interesting book called Play the Fischer-Random, authored by Szvetozar Gligoric (not sure if I spelt that correctly). Marcus judged that my interest in the F_R thread on this BB would be enhanced by reading the book. Frankly, I think the book is inferior to the material already on our thread (particularly the stuff on 'opening principles' on the old BB). In fact, if White wins the game against the troika then the distilled wisdom from the thread would make a useful article. Now I wonder where I should publish?

Next week at Box Hill we continue with three more rounds of RAPID Play starting at 8pm.

starter

Re: Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series star

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Now I wonder where I should publish?
    i think you should wait till the end of the game, that way you can save yourself typing time

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Now I wonder where I should publish?
    i think you should wait till the end of the game, that way you can save yourself typing time
    'ra'ra

Are you suggesting then that you will be typing an article from the Black-side?
    If so, best of British luck to you making something out of the postings of one of the others in the troika.

starter

Since I figure you are not referring to Kevin, that only leaves one suspect.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Since I figure you are not referring to Kevin, that only leaves one suspect.
    Bill
    Very early on in my post history I was revealed as oblique, not pointed.
    starter

The first evening of the Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series began on 9/1/4 as Box Hill opened the Club-rooms for the first time this year.
    Evening number 1 was three rounds of RAPID play at 20 minutes + 10seconds/move. The initial winner, and only picket fence, was Anthony Miller who has taken home all the money on offer in the first evening of this series that will run during the year at various weeks.
    Higher rated players such as Marcus Raine, Howard Liston and Janusz Dutka fell at various hurdles and will have make up lost ground in the next two weeks when the SERIES continues till 23/1/4.
    Visitors are welcome and $5 covers the visitors fee for January.
    Entry fee is also payable.

As an interesting aside, the proprietor of the chess book-room at Box Hill, Marcus Raine, showed me an interesting book called Play the Fischer-Random, authored by Szvetozar Gligoric (not sure if I spelt that correctly). Marcus judged that my interest in the F_R thread on this BB would be enhanced by reading the book. Frankly, I think the book is inferior to the material already on our thread (particularly the stuff on 'opening principles' on the old BB). In fact, if White wins the game against the troika then the distilled wisdom from the thread would make a useful article. Now I wonder where I should publish?

Next week at Box Hill we continue with three more rounds of RAPID Play starting at 8pm.

starter
    The second evening of the Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series began on 16/1/4 as Box Hill opened the Club-rooms for the second time this year.
    Evening number 2 was three rounds of RAPID play at 20 minutes + 10seconds/move. The winner, with a picket fence, was David Flude, on count-back from Nur Yachou. Fluedy has taken home all the money on offer in the second evening of this series that will run during the year at various weeks.

starter

when you say fludy has taken home all the money.well done flude,how much hard cash are we talking about $$$$??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1972
    when you say fludy has taken home all the money.well done flude,how much hard cash are we talking about $$$$??????????????????
    Ascaro

You are not going to introduce 'mickey mouse' again are you?

starter
    ps WBA ...I thought you had disciplined this character?

no nothing to do with that it just a question.

Small fish taste sweet.

no nothing to do with that it just a question.
    Ascaro

Standard BH appoach was used.

Add all the revenue up for the evening.
    Take out an amount to cover rating (yes we rate RAPID play).
    Divide into 2 pieces.
    One portion covers local costs.
    The rest goes to the winner.

Fluedy went home with a very small prize, but was happy.
    starter

no politics this is just a question i was a member and played in the open,if you had 86 yes 86 players and entry was $20,$15 and visitor fee $10
    if the policy is divide all money by 2,why is the tournament page say $5 for every entry into prize money.1st was $100 ,2 person shared 2nd for $50
    now say do the math and it does not add up this divide by 2 system. just would like to know the real formula for prize money .all numbers given here are taken from web page .i was at prize giving so i know this prizes are correct.for all the people out there who like statistics do the math on this one.

no politics this is just a question i was a member and played in the open,if you had 86 yes 86 players and entry was $20,$15 and visitor fee $10
    if the policy is divide all money by 2,why is the tournament page say $5 for every entry into prize money.1st was $100 ,2 person shared 2nd for $50
    now say do the math and it does not add up this divide by 2 system. just would like to know the real formula for prize money .all numbers given here are taken from web page .i was at prize giving so i know this prizes are correct.for all the people out there who like statistics do the math on this one.
    Good morning Ascaro
    Your MCC week-ender prizes sure look attractive, and I did like the links to the re-painted premises.

The formula I gave applies to BH rapid events like the ALLEGRO and the RAPID play.
    Bigger events have their own prize distributions which are usually described in the flyer; as you quoted from the OPEN. We honour these even if we lose money due to unforeseens.

And no, before you ask, I don't know anyone who even makes a meagre living from our prizes. Not even Fluedy who always picks up the best senior prize. But then the Club policy statement says we concentrate on other objectives. When you next drop in I will hand you a copy.

Chess World and the MCC offer the best prizes for the guns.

starter

very quick answer,you know no one plays for the money.i mean who gets 86 players in a turney,not even the reserves so why not make more prize money .everything else is great it has to be to attract 86 players.
    at another club only 10 players yes 10 turned up for a $300 garanteed 1st. $80 each for 2nd 3rd shared .and still the club suffered no loss . so if you get 86 players surely prizes can be improved.

very quick answer,you know no one plays for the money.i mean who gets 86 players in a turney,not even the reserves so why not make more prize money .everything else is great it has to be to attract 86 players.
    at another club only 10 players yes 10 turned up for a $300 garanteed 1st. $80 each for 2nd 3rd shared .and still the club suffered no loss . so if you get 86 players surely prizes can be improved.
    hi Ascaro
    You are starting to ask questions like an administrator. Be Careful. You could find yourself on the MCC Committee and then who knows.

It comes down to business models for a chess club I think.
    We open three days a week, and therefore always have 3 tournaments running at least. So, an active player could be paying entry fees for tournaments very regularly.

More than 50% of our entrants pay only the concession entry fee which indicates they are not flush with funds. A 7-evening tournament usually has the entry fee set at $15 concession and this attracts anywhere between 86 and 120 entrants. Your MCC Australia Day OPEN charges more than double this...$40 concession, for the long week-end.
    We could not attract 86 entrants to three tournaments a week if we charged $40 entry to each.

Our cost structure is probably a bit different from where you own your premises. We have to cover $50 per session on rent.

The down-side of our business model is that we are unlikely to attract to any SWISS tournaments those very strong chess players who like to win substantial prizes.
    The only time we attract a significant number of strong players is to the Interclub competition. This is not a SWISS tournament; has no junk rounds, and is therefore very attractive to players like Mike Woodhams, Doug Hamilton, and many more. (Late edit: Hence the thread called "How competititive do you want it to be", where the significant difference in competitiveness between SWISS and grades is measured by a metric for all to see why strong players like grades.)

starter

PS
    Ascaro. There is one big change planned for our program this year. The VIC OPEN moves to Box Hill and there are plans for some sponsorship money. So, the prizes for this event will be higher than our normal bread and water rations.

hi Ascaro
    You are starting to ask questions like an administrator. Be Careful. You could find yourself on the MCC Committee and then who knows.
    starter
    and would either of you want that

Thread Information