Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 211
  1. #61
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Perhaps you're not being clear enough.
    Can't be clear enough for some people. However you might have noticied I edited my post as it was not as clear as it could have been.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  2. #62
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    Thank you garethbcharles....you have said it more succinctly

  3. #63
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I don't know why the Junior prizes weren't in the mailout, but you really should check the website before claiming there is no information!
    I wouldn't blame any parent for being bemused by lack of prize info on a flyer, for many people the flyer is the principal source of information and as such one would expect it to have all relevant details on it. In my 5/6 years of reading AJC tournament flyers I can't recall any that didn't contain prize info.

  4. #64
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    I personally don't think it is a great format, especially for juniors who might want to play both events.

    I suspect there are economical issues involved, the organisers save a lot of money by having the venue tied up for half as many days, etc. This sort of arrangement has been done before, the last time it happened I seem to remember was in Sydney, 1995/6 sort of thing I think. Someone correct me if there is a more recent precedent.

    One last thing, I would not wish 8am starts on anyone playing in a chess tournament, let alone kids and their parents!
    The reason for holding the events together are two fold:

    1) Cost of venue, much cheaper for two weeks instead of four
    2) Queenstown

  5. #65
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    The reason for holding the events together are two fold:

    1) Cost of venue, much cheaper for two weeks instead of four
    2) Queenstown
    yeah, I forgot Queenstown, actually that's probably the main reason and not a bad one it is too.

    I notice you appear to be returning to your "spokesman" position again...
    Nevertheless I acknowledge your point looks valid.
    Last edited by Lucena; 14-08-2005 at 01:13 AM.

  6. #66
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    The reason for holding the events together are two fold:

    1) Cost of venue, much cheaper for two weeks instead of four
    2) Queenstown
    I remember when I was a kid - 8am starts were fine. True though, it's likely the parents suffering! Us uni students Gareth are likely far more averse to those early starts

    Yet, it is a good idea for cost-cutting. As for queenstown.. much less of a factor I reckon.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  7. #67
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    I remember when I was a kid - 8am starts were fine. True though, it's likely the parents suffering! Us uni students Gareth are likely far more averse to those early starts

    Yet, it is a good idea for cost-cutting. As for queenstown.. much less of a factor I reckon.
    My understanding is that Queenstown was a major factor. If the Junior was held as it normally is following the Adult event then it would directly clash with Queenstown and it was believed that many of the more promising juniors would play in Queenstown.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

  8. #68
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    My understanding is that Queenstown was a major factor. If the Junior was held as it normally is following the Adult event then it would directly clash with Queenstown and it was believed that many of the more promising juniors would play in Queenstown.
    Interesting.. how many juniors played in Queenstown last tournament?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  9. #69
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    I remember when I was a kid - 8am starts were fine. True though, it's likely the parents suffering! Us uni students Gareth are likely far more averse to those early starts

    Yet, it is a good idea for cost-cutting. As for queenstown.. much less of a factor I reckon.
    I'm going to check the dates. If running the AJC and aus champs consecutively would have clashed with the Queenstown tournament I think that would be a major problem especially for juniors wanting to get some more experience(I assume if one were to run the tournaments consecutively, then the Auschamps would be first, as having it later and clashing with Qtown would cause bigger problems).

  10. #70
    CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    Hello everybody,

    if no one is playing chess the next day, nor are they required to fly out to Queenstown immediately, why not start the last days rounds for the juniors at the normal time (9 am ) for the rest of the tournament, the championship at 2pm rather than 1 pm and let there be that one extra hour at the end? I have the opinion that the extra hour at those places is a better use of the rescheduling of the final day and may mean additional entries; as yet no-one has actually responded to that particular part of my suggestion,

    Take care and God Bless, Macavity

  11. #71
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Interesting.. how many juniors played in Queenstown last tournament?
    It's a one off tournament and I believe it is one of the most hyped/publicised tournaments in Australasian chess history. I believe GM Murray Chandler has personally overseen the organising etc and there will be numerous GMs (seriously, Chandler will get substantially more GMs to play there than we managed to get on this side of the Tasman a year ago)
    Last edited by Lucena; 14-08-2005 at 01:24 AM.

  12. #72
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    yeah, I forgot Queenstown, actually that's probably the main reason and not a bad one it is too.

    I notice you appear to be returning to your "spokesman" position again...
    Nevertheless I acknowledge your point looks valid.
    i was expecting some smart-gareth to give a reply like that

  13. #73
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Interesting.. how many juniors played in Queenstown last tournament?
    I do not believe there has previously been an event the size and scope of the Queenstown 2006 event which sort of renders your question irrelevant.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 14-08-2005 at 01:23 AM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

  14. #74
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    I'm going to check the dates. If running the AJC and aus champs consecutively would have clashed with the Queenstown tournament I think that would be a major problem especially for juniors wanting to get some more experience(I assume if one were to run the tournaments consecutively, then the Auschamps would be first, as having it later and clashing with Qtown would cause bigger problems).
    Queenstown runs from 15-24 January 2006.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

  15. #75
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Queenstown runs from 15-24 January 2006.
    Thanks Bill. So I guess that confirms what I suspected after Garvin mentioned Qtown. If they ran(this is for Belthasar's benefit) the juniors after Seniors, they would be competing with Qtown, which is not an enviable prospect. That event was being publicised aggressively about a year in advance, I think, probably more than that. And there is a definite attraction for the juniors who have already got plenty of adult scalps to try to add some GMs (or in some cases, some more GMs) to their collection.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Schools Championships
    By jeffrei in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 27-02-2010, 08:57 PM
  2. 2006 Queenstown Chess Classic
    By Brian_Jones in forum New Zealand Chess
    Replies: 349
    Last Post: 28-05-2006, 11:25 AM
  3. paid CEO for Australian chess
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21-02-2006, 06:53 PM
  4. Mt Buller Australian Minor Chess Championships
    By cincinnatus in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 24-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  5. Australian Clubs Team Champions
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 26-02-2004, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •