Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Interesting flier

Hi everyone,
    I received a copy of the flier in the mail during last week, and presumed that many others had as well. The detail of an 8 o'clock start on the last round of the juniors is correct. But for me perhaps the most interesting part of this whole flier was the extensive and comprehansive list of prizes for all of the events for which all ages were eligible, but not as far as I can see, though I have been mistaken before, there are absolutely no prizes stipulated for the juniors.

It seems a bit strange to me that such a complete list of prizes is able to be projected for a yet to be specified number of adults, but not for a yet to be specified number of juniors.

I will watch the ACF bulletin with interest for when we get the first mention of how much incentive is being given to children and their families to spend at least two weeks interstate at a chess tournament.

Take care all, and God Bless, Macavity

NB I have not asked anyone to answer this, but anyone who likes is welcome to comment.

PS On a personal note, I don't imagine how anyone is supposed to play anything like good chess at 8:00am, and that is leaving aside the other concerns raised with additional family members to deal with, which turns this quite disturbed dream into an absolute nightmare , M

CC Grandmaster
    While 8am is an early start time, keep in mind that the fact of having Australian Championship and Junior events simultaneously mean quite some logistical juggling.

It is very common for chess tournaments to have an early start on the final day, because you have to have a prizegiving afterwards, and often you have to pack up the playing hall in order not to be charged for an extra day.

With the Championship events due to start at 1pm on the final day, 8am is the latest the Junior events can start (allowing for the time control). The 1pm start means at that the final Championship round will probably not finish before 6pm. Then you need to allow time for prizes to be allocated (and you need to be very sure not to get it wrong at the Oz Champs), and for the closing ceremony. I would be surprised if all of that is finished before 9pm, even with the early start.

If the final round was postponed, the closing ceremony would have to be postponed which would mean a pretty late night for the kids, which could be even worse than an early morning (especially when most people are checking out of hotels and travelling the next day). And remember that the organisers will probably be working very late into the night as it is.

By all means talk to Graeme about it, I'm sure he is quite happy to discuss it. Just remember that a lot of thought has probably gone in to the schedule, and a small change early in the day will have a lot of knock on effects.

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the organising committee, and these are just my observations. If you want an official reply, talk to Graeme.

NO prizes for the juniors?????

CC Grandmaster
    Of course there are prizes for the Juniors:
    http://www.ozchess2006.com/junprizes.htm

Thank you Pax, will look at the link, but one would have guessed that they would have made it onto the flier????

probably just an oversight by those overseeing, ( a bit like running two events concurrently to the detriment of both??)

Take care all and God Bless, Macavity

Oh and if there must be a time shift, I would suggest it is to lengthen the day at the night time end, as after all, no-one will have to play the next day will they?

It would seem to to be far worse that there could potentially be later discussions or controversies owing to upsets in the last round of the junior aside from over the board, eg, missed bus, late siblings, or anything else, and of course one would be more than upset in such a case; or doesn't this concern those running the tournament as long as the schedule fits????

yours, M
    Last edited by Bereaved; 13-08-2005 at 10:55 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    I don't know why the Junior prizes weren't in the mailout, but you really should check the website before claiming there is no information!

Incidentally, the prizes seem to me to be very substantial - nearly $8000 for Juniors across all events.

ok thanks
    Just another question...why the discrepency in prize money for the girls under 14 and 16 and the Australian junior under 14 and 16?
    If we are trying to encourage girls to play and enter, surely this won't help?

and why should I check the website for a piece of information when I merely expressed a surprise at the absence of it being on the flier? And Mischa is right; are women still to be second class citizens? It would seem that if we wish to perpetuate the current gender balance in chess at all times, we are going about it the right way

From reading the posts already on here, this is exactly why there will be no trial by bulletin board as I put it earlier. Instead of emailing Graeme or Ian, posts are made on here where there will not be any answers given.

Mr. No Spokesperson speaks again!!

the spokesperson one has when one doesn't have a spokesperson??

take care all and God Bless, Macavity

So not to speak

Quote Originally Posted by macavity
    the spokesperson one has when one doesn't have a spokesperson??

take care all and God Bless, Macavity
    why dont you make your take care line your signature Macavity

I havent actually provided any answers as to official policy, so i am not a spokesperson

What is it about august that brings out all the criticisms for australian tournaments

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I havent actually provided any answers as to official policy, so i am not a spokesperson

What is it about august that brings out all the criticisms for australian tournaments
    Criticisms? Seems to be nothing but people talking about details of a chess event. Is this that inappropriate for a chess bulletin board? I can't work out why it needles you so. Perhaps you should just stop not being the unofficial non-spokesperson for the event and the defensive tone of this thread may abate.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Garvin on the soles of your shoe

Thread Information