Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    CC Rookie
    From my memory the game that sticks in my mind is the 8th? round game against Justin Chow, it was a forced loss within the first 15 moves, he had obviously been prepped for the game but wasn't familiar with the move orders and continued playing moves that didnt quite fit with the position. There was another game but i have no clue who it was against.

I understand its an individual choice, and there should be no pressure to play in any division, but the point im trying to make is there is this general conception that playing in the harder division will benefit your chess in the long term which i dont beleive is always true. In Victoria especially since there are many high rated players there will always be strong fields to play in, but playing as favourite in the U12's is a unique situation where you must perform under expectations. Having the skill to win tournaments (and yes it is a skill, many strong players find it difficult to actually win a tournament) will benefit your chess greatly in the long term. Not in terms of improving the technical aspect of your chess, rather the psychological toughness and confidence it brings.

cheers

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    8am is a TOTALLY CRAZY start time,what on earth were the organisers thinking? I mean its the last round ,but come off it.

Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    8am is a TOTALLY CRAZY start time,what on earth were the organisers thinking? I mean its the last round ,but come off it.
    From earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    While 8am is an early start time, keep in mind that the fact of having Australian Championship and Junior events simultaneously mean quite some logistical juggling.

It is very common for chess tournaments to have an early start on the final day, because you have to have a prizegiving afterwards, and often you have to pack up the playing hall in order not to be charged for an extra day.

With the Championship events due to start at 1pm on the final day, 8am is the latest the Junior events can start (allowing for the time control). The 1pm start means at that the final Championship round will probably not finish before 6pm. Then you need to allow time for prizes to be allocated (and you need to be very sure not to get it wrong at the Oz Champs), and for the closing ceremony. I would be surprised if all of that is finished before 9pm, even with the early start.

If the final round was postponed, the closing ceremony would have to be postponed which would mean a pretty late night for the kids, which could be even worse than an early morning (especially when most people are checking out of hotels and travelling the next day). And remember that the organisers will probably be working very late into the night as it is.

By all means talk to Graeme about it, I'm sure he is quite happy to discuss it. Just remember that a lot of thought has probably gone in to the schedule, and a small change early in the day will have a lot of knock on effects.

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the organising committee, and these are just my observations. If you want an official reply, talk to Graeme.

a forced loss for whom?
    I never watch James' games as I have little idea of what is going on.
    James hates me to watch his games as it makes him nervous.
    The game you refer to is the ONLY game in his short chess caareer that James has asked me to watch. HE came over during the game and sasid come and watch. Later I asked him why and he replied something like...I felt confident of a win...I knew I had a postition that was good.
    The game went on for a long time after he asked me to watch...so I don't understand what you mean.
    Are you familiar with James' style of play?
    And for the record, being top seed and Not winning did more to sap his confidence than anything I know. This is his Hobby...NOT a career choice! I fail to see the necessity of putting a 10 year old under pressure for a hobby!

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    a forced loss for whom?
    In chess commentary, "forced" doesn't mean inevitable; a "forced" win (or loss for the other side) means that there is a sequence of forcing moves (checks, captures, threats) leading to an obviously won position. This is distinct from positions where one side may have a clear advantage but it can't be analysed out to a win.

Positions with "forced" wins are often not won.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Positions with "forced" wins are often not won.
    And more so the lower the rating of the player with the 'forced' win as it is more likely that he or she may simply miss the line or underestimate it. As we are talking about the Australian U12 competition I think the word "lucky" has to be put into context, lest 70% of the game or more be judged as lucky. For something to be worthy of being called lucky it has to be of a magnitude which makes it exceptional for the standard of play in that competition. Far be it from me to deride the U12 standard of play. I lost to one u12 on the weekend and had a needed a houdini act to escape a loss from another.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Tell us about it

I did talk to Graeme about it, but he didin't want to make prize-giving any later and with the potential of playoffs for the juniors and adults, 8am is when the last round of the juniors has to start. I think most people are staying an extra night, but if you are trying to check out of a hotel or apartment and trying to get kids to the venue by 8am it is going to create unbelievable stress for all concerned.

Well it looks like the last round needs to be sponsored by Nescafe,the junior comps could be decided by someone falling asleep at the board!

CC Candidate Master
    I love being a coach

Can't stand the early final rounds... Never could play a good final game

Hey Dunwann,just give you and your pupils 2 black coffees and 3 choclate bars,that will keep em buzzed.

CC Candidate Master
    Lol, Four Four Two, that was my approach to Mt. Buller, and I dont think it helped. 2 Litres of Coke a day.. sickening by most standards. If you want best results, just get enough sleep, another factor in my bad Mount Buller. Wa players- cricket lovers you'd forever be up barracking and when not, blitz with Yita kept you up
    Ultimate Patzer!

8 am coffee

Funny about the whole coca cola, coffee thing.

There was a NASA study involving spiders spinning their webs after they’d used various substances: “Of all the chemicals tested, including marijuana and chloral hydrate, the web produced by the spider on caffeine was the worst, showing no sign of the 'hub and spokes' pattern that is fundamental to convention web design.”
    It was later suggested that the web study only really shows the power of caffeine as an insecticide; the results have no bearing on human behaviour.
    This is probably correct, but I’m certain I’d spin a hopeless web under the influence of caffeine and I’d spin a better one without… !

Used to be completely addicted to coffee but gave it up a few years ago when it became too obvious how intolerant I’d become to it. Couldn’t concentrate long enough to read anything longer than newspaper articles, couldn’t remember basic words, a real short circuiting of the brain went on, not to mention racing blood pressure and shakiness. (I wasn’t taking anything else, just coffee )

Since I’ve taken up chess, because of the unusual level of mental gymnastics involved, the contrast has been even more obvious. If I’m caffeine free, what calculation I’m capable of is clear, the brain’s sharp. If I fall back into drinking caffeine (even just regular cups of tea) because I’m tired, well, a few days down the track, genuine toxic dementia sets in… plans drift off and take a while to come back, can’t remember the variation I’m trying to calculate, sight of the board really deteriorates to the point where it’s hardly worth playing, you name it.

Then I give up caffeine and within a few days the brain is sharp again and remains that way.

It sounds a bit extreme but who knows there might be others who have similar symptoms (related to caffeine )

I can just see it now Watto,one of your opponents offers you some innocent looking edible laced with caffeine hoping your middlegame plans go awry.

Computer oriented caffeine addicts usually end up discovering the "magic" elixir of mountain dew with caffeine tablets,did this concoction ever come across your path Watto?

CC Grandmaster
    I can just see it now Watto,one of your opponents offers you some innocent looking edible laced with caffeine hoping your middlegame plans go awry.

Computer oriented caffeine addicts usually end up discovering the "magic" elixir of mountain dew with caffeine tablets,did this concoction ever come across your path Watto?
    I don't believe the Mountain Dew you get in Australia actually has any caffeine in it (I could be wrong). The American version has about twice the amount of Coke
    Last edited by pax; 25-11-2005 at 05:20 PM.

hehe- they don't need a secret weapon at this stage.
    no, I was (almost) always loyal to coffee, no soft drinks for me!

Thread Information