Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Arrogant-One has sent us the following apology to Ian Murray:

Dear Ian Murray,

I am sorry for making the assumption that I did regarding the advertisements in the CAQ newsletter. I should have checked my facts beforehand. Thank you for informing me of my error.

Alex
    Arrogant-One has also agreed to be more careful to check his facts when criticising other posters in the future.

As a result his ban has been reduced to the original one week and he will be allowed to post from late tomorrow.

For those wondering about antichrist, he has been booted for a week for effectively reposting material previously deleted by mods. He reposted a comment that was very derogatory towards female posters on the board but with letters starred out. After this it was also noticed that he had posted particularly provocative comments about Israel/Palestine on a chess thread (albeit one about him) in violation of warnings to not post about I/P on chess threads.

The post above re "Use and abuse of the post report function" is to be read as applying to all forms of contact with the mods, including but not limited to email, msn, PM, fax, letter, phone, telepathy and carrier pigeon.

starter suspended for one day for posting the bulk of an email from ACF Secretary Jey Hoole to Matthew Sweeney on the board apparently without Hoole's written consent. No indication that Hoole had consented was given in the post, and when I asked starter via PM if he had any statement from Hoole authorising its republication he provided no evidence that Hoole had authorised publication on the BB. (The unclassified security clearance present on Hoole's emails as a consequence of work duties unrelated to chess is not sufficient evidence of permission to post material here.)

It appears that starter had the consent of the person who forwarded the email to him to publish it, but as that person was apparently not the author of the text (and starter's post made it clear he was aware of this), that is irrelevant.

The moderation rules concerning the reposting of potentially non-public emails written by others state:

The onus is strongly on the poster of a communication to ensure that its posting is permitted prior to doing so, if necessary by asking a moderator.

There have been a few queries about why bigredcar was banned.

bigredcar was banned by Rincewind for being an unnecessary hydra of an existing user. That user had restarted under a new account name, perhaps to evade responsibility for flames made under the old account, or perhaps so he could pretend to be something he wasn't (namely: 14 years old). bigredcar was offered the choice of merging his accounts under the old name or the new one, or losing his second account. He chose to lose the bigredcar account, but is still permitted to post under his original account name.

Posters who want to rename their acount for any reason should make such requests to an admin rather than starting a new one.

Arrogant-One is banned for four weeks. His recent behaviour has included:

* vulgar abuse
    * misleading and defamatory claims about a poster's business situation
    * use of the forum to attempt to organise the distribution of confidential emails against the author's wishes - this is close to tantamount to public posting of the same
    * comprehensively and very repeatedly failing to live up to his agreement to be more careful to avoid unfactual criticisms of posters.

His ban is three weeks plus one week added on - he obtained a one-week reduction in a previous ban by the agreement in question but because he did not go anywhere near living up to it, he gets that week back.

The thread on which most problems occurred, started by AO, has been moved offline.

Furthermore, AO is placed on a permanent warning that any further material he posts that places the site at legal risk will result in a minimum ban of three months.

Nutter banned for 24hrs for unsolicited spamming of users via PM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Accounts Nutter and Purple banned. These are anonymous posters who were making abusive posts. In each case they are strongly suspected of being hydras of the currently suspended user Arrogant-One, but since there is not absolute proof of this, I have not extended AO's current ban.

Owing to the difficulty of proving hydras where posters are posting from certain environments, I reserve the right to ban any poster to whom all of the following apply:

* Poster is anonymous.
    * Poster engages in criticism of other posters.
    * Posts by poster justify suspicion that they are a hydra of a banned user.
    * IP address info is consistent with them being a hydra of a banned user.

Furthermore, someone has attempted to hack the account of a Chesschat poster. IP info is logged in these cases and we have our suspicions as to the culprit. Should there be further such incidents and should IP info place the culprit's identity beyond doubt, the person responsible will be banned permanently.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Howard Duggan banned for 1 day (first offense) for choosing an inapproriate image as an avatar.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Owing to the difficulty of proving hydras where posters are posting from certain environments, I reserve the right to ban any poster to whom all of the following apply:

* Poster is anonymous.
    * Poster engages in criticism of other posters.
    * Posts by poster justify suspicion that they are a hydra of a banned user.
    * IP address info is consistent with them being a hydra of a banned user.
    "William Tell" banned under this policy.

Arrogant-One has asked why his ban did not expire yesterday, four weeks after it was imposed. The board has autoban options including three weeks or one month so I auto-banned him for a month. I originally intended to lift this ban manually when his four weeks expired, but decided not to on account of him posting while banned (he signed up an account and made a post immediately after being banned.)

In only extending his ban by three days when normally posting while banned leads to a ban being doubled at least, I took into account that it was probably just a rash impetuous act immediately after being banned, and that if he persisted beyond that we have no firm proof of it (although we do have our suspicions ... )

I deleted Arrogant-One's thread "Howard Duggan Ducks For Cover". It repeated claims that had previously been a subject of moderation. While AO's purpose in repeating the claims was to attack them, the person AO was defending preferred not to have the matter raised again.

Posts attempting to circumvent the auto censoring of words is not permitted and will be deleted.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

User PHAT (Matthew Sweeney) having again crudely abused at least one other poster while on a zero-tolerance policy for breaches of the board rules, has now been banned permanently from this board. Should he wish to be readmitted he must agree to abide by all site rules in future, and even if he does so he will serve a substantial suspension for the current offence before being allowed back on.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 29-12-2006 at 12:08 AM.

I've deleted some posts in which a poster called another poster a liar.

I initially misunderstood the situation and have now also deleted the post that led to the accusations - see here for full gory details. My apologies for the mistake.

Please do not call other posters liars unless all logically possible explanations for their behaviour other than knowingly making a false statement have been exhausted.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 29-08-2006 at 09:47 PM.

antichrist suspended for two days for posting Israel/Palestine rubbish on a thread not in the non-chess section (the [AO] to Appeal thread).
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 22-09-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Thread Information