Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The account "Publicist" has been moved to the Compromised User group as evidence has been found, not for the first time, of apparent operation by a banned user.

If the owner of the account is not a banned user then they should contact site staff stating their full real name and guaranteeing that they will not allow any banned user to operate the account or know the password. Until this is done the account is suspended.

antichrist has been warned before and not so long ago that he is not to comment about people who have recently died unless he knew them personally, as his comments are almost always insensitive.

As a result of antichrist breaching this ban he is excluded from the Australian Chess section for a year. Any comment that attempts to circumvent this exclusion will be deleted and may result in other exclusions or a full-site ban. This ban may not be negotiated and any attempt to complain about it will result in it doubling. Parole will be considered after six months if he has not been moderated for insensitivity anywhere on the forum in that time.

I have deleted a thread containing one post about the matter of a NSW chess tutor who has been charged with indecent assault of a child.

The post was not deleted for asking about the name of the tutor, which is already a matter of public knowledge.

The post was deleted for assuming the charged person to be without doubt guilty, when he has not yet had his day in court and is entitled to the presumption of innocence until such a finding has been made. This is a matter of very basic justice, but is also necessary to protect the site from potential defamation actions if the defendant is innocent. If he is found guilty then such comments may be made then.

I have a number of suspicions about the "Johns" account based on its posting style, its combination of apparently deliberate misspellings with sometimes scientific-sounding arguments, its choice of common opponents, and so on. Specifically, I can't rule out that Johns could be Matthew Sweeney, who is permanently banned. Sweeney has often disguised his posting style when using hydras in the past.

Four days ago I emailed Johns asking him to state his real name, and I have received no reply. Johns is now suspended until he advises his real identity and I am satisfied that this information is correct, or am otherwise convinced that Johns is not Sweeney. Failing a reply the account is banned permanently. As the forum rules state " We will frequently ban anonymous accounts that are suspected of being operated by banned users [..]"

I deleted a post from a thread about correspondence chess because the post was obviously defamatory.

Account deanhogg banned to the Compromised Users group.

It's been apparent in the past sometimes that Dean was posting on Axiom's behalf and in cases that Axiom may have been using his account.

Recently the behaviour of the deanhogg account has been extremely suspicious and site data has confirmed that it is being operated by Axiom.

The account deanhogg is now permanently banned.

I believe this situation is quite likely a result of a consensual transfer of the account by Dean to Axiom and will take a lot of convincing to allow Dean to start posting again from a new account in view of that.

I have culled all shouts from the last two days and a few earlier ones because of an excess of culture-war flaming (Nazis, Hitler, Jews, derogatory terms about the gay community, and related insults and rubbish from various political perspectives.)

Account signed up in name of Edward McClain banned for off-topic link-spamming for the Millionaire Chess website in its opening post.

I don't guarantee this account was genuine (rather than someone trying to make MC look bad by spamming for them) but I don't have any concrete evidence it is fake. The same email address appears on apparently genuine MC announcements with about the same dubious relationship to the English language as the deleted post.

User olantirn <gildyshows@gmail.com> is permanently banned from Chesschat for threatening the site with legal action without contacting the moderators first and for personally threatening the site staff of Chesschat in an unspecified and open-ended manner. A threat emailed to me was as follows:

"U BETTER TAKE [abuse removed] KOHSER'S THREAD OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE HAPPY LIFE..."

There have since been further more serious - if comically ungrammatical - threats. I do not normally post the email addresses of users but in the case of threateners I will. Especially homophobic threateners.

A hydra account of the same person "Fred Johnson" <fredcoldstone@gmail.com> has also been banned. The following are email addresses that this person has used to abuse and threaten CC staff and spam Australian chess authorities:

"F.C.Classics" <generalf55@gmail.com>, "John Lary - OTR Shows" <gildyshows@gmail.com>, "Michael Harris" <mikeharriswdca@gmail.com>, "Jan Lubek" <janlubekhere@gmail.com>, "Vesna (Vanessa) I" <macamalena2@gmail.com>, "lupco4ride44" <lupco4ride44@gmail.com>

This is clearly one person posting under multiple names (although he claims Lubek and Steriev are different people), and may be a result of a multiple personality disorder. Whether this person really has any of these names is unknown to us.

The initial threat arose from a response olantirn posted to some comments posted by thekohser about internet pest behaviour by this person. olantirn's response defamed a person who was not a party to his dispute with thekohser by implying they had behaved improperly in a correspondence tournament. No evidence was provided for this accusation and another moderator responded by removing olantirn's reply and locking the thread. olantirn then tried to take the matter up on a completely irrelevant thread, and when the off-topic posts there were deleted, responded by threatening the site and us personally.

As a result of this not only is olantirn permanently banned, but any new poster who attempts to discuss the Lubek/Steriev matter or who is suspected of being olantirn will also be immediately permanently banned.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 16-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.

antichrist banned indefinitely for inciting cross-forum fights by posting idiotic insults about yours truly on the other forum, which I saw because somebody else quoted them.

I strongly suspect AC has been behaving like this for some time, only I have not seen him do this because I have had his ghastly gibberish on ignore.

antichrist having apologised and agreed not to do anything so stupid of such form again, the ban is lifted.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 23-12-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Ragnar banned and some posts and replies removed. Hydra of banned user Axiom based on use of junk IPs, obvious concern-trolling and sealioning to avoid answering questions in the Toolbox-Detox thread, and certain other correspondences.

We thought there was a high chance Ragnar was a banned user from the start but there was one initial contra-indication to it being Axiom so we decided to wait for clearer evidence regarding which banned user it was so as to even more accurately identify and block these losers in the future.

Because of work commitments over the next few weeks, if anyone has any minor moderation requests (title or content edits, thread splits etc) and wants quick action on them they might be best off contacting one of the other moderators. I aim to still be online sometime each evening but don't guarantee to succeed.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Because of work commitments over the next few weeks, if anyone has any minor moderation requests (title or content edits, thread splits etc) and wants quick action on them they might be best off contacting one of the other moderators. I aim to still be online sometime each evening but don't guarantee to succeed.
    Also note that I will be interstate between February 7 and 11 and so will only be checking in occasionally as well.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Merged three threads dealing with the Candidates and made merged thread a sticky thread.

Thread Information