Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Deleted four posts of Baron/jammo spelling stuff from a chess thread. Will also be deleting posts that invite people to continue spelling-related injokes on chess threads whenever I feel like it without warning or necessarily logging the deletions.

If posters want to engage in silly spelling-related comments all the time then start a new thread in the non-chess section and copy posts you want to make fun of there. No problem with one-post spelling corrections but less silly banter on chess threads please. Ta.

User zarkoth banned and post and replies removed. zarkoth engaged in what is known to me as "street team" spamming in which the poster pretends to have found the product they are advertising and to be a genuine poster asking for advice about it.

For the time being I've deleted an extreme and in my view insensitive post from the Muhammad Ali thread and replies to it. I was thinking of at least splitting it when another moderator suggested it should probably be moderated.

We are of course happy for there to be general discussion for or against boxing on the site at any time but stomping on the grave of a person loved by many - in large part for reasons other than boxing - in the process of making a general point is only likely to derail a thread and cause annoyance.

Merkury banned for unsolicited commercial posting. It was fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    We will frequently ban anonymous accounts that are suspected of being operated by banned users, any account that misrepresents the nature of the person operating it (eg adult posters pretending to be juniors) and any account employing a proxy IP.
    I emailed the account Rahane_S because I believe that account may be being operated by a banned user. No response in five days so account suspended at least until there is an adequate response. If no response within a week I intend to permanently ban the account.

[Updates: 1 - Rahane_S permanently banned
    2 -Users Mordechai and normanghaskell have been proven to be hydras of Rahane_S and also banned. I am treating all three as clearly hydras of banned user Axiom.]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 21-11-2016 at 11:45 PM.

I've just merged the ridiculous number of Graeme Anthony set threads on this site, and made it a sticky in General Chess.

Members are reminded they are not permitted to quote postings of banned posters without any critical comment as per the following.

* While a poster is banned from chesschat it is not permitted to post on their behalf in any way, or to post links to anything they have written while banned. Quoting of banned posters is permitted only if (i) the material quoted was written before the poster's current ban commenced (onus is on the quoter to demonstrate this) or (ii) the quoting is clearly for the purposes of critical discussion (not necessarily negative) rather than deliberately helping the banned poster to circumvent their ban by having their comments appear here.

Any post consisting largely of quoting of material by one or more banned posters with little or no original comment added will breach this rule, as will any post that quotes a banned user without discussing the comments quoted in relation to points being discussed on the thread. In any case all material quoted must be clearly within the site rules. If in doubt about this rule, please check your intended post with a moderator before posting it.
    The following toolbox posters are on a permanent ban:

Alex Tool-sie - Just2Good
    Trevor Stanning - Moz, Sobriquet and other hydras
    David Beaumont - Firegoat7
    ?????? - Axiom and his numerous hydras
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

This one is a moderation indecision. I am trying to keep up with the rapid thread drifting on some of the issues threads at the moment, some of it caused by me, but "working migrants" (itself a split thread) is a daunting assignment in this regard.

If anyone reckons the thread should be split please PM me a suggested post to split it from and a suggested title or broad subject area and I'll consider such requests favourably.

Otherwise I'm inclined to accept that the thread is hopelessly off-topic and just let it go, at least until a really clear dividing line emerges.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    User Basil banned for seven days for offensive language in the shoutbox.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Cardinal Pell thread taken offline

Out of an abundance of caution I have moved the Cardinal Pell thread offline temporarily for legal review. Some posts appear to me to be potentially sub judice in that they are prejudging the guilt or innocence of the accused. This is potentially illegal under Australian law although Chesschat being a relatively low profile forum would probably mean that the risks of prosecution of a poster or the forum were extremely low.

When we have considered the issue carefully I expect the thread will be restored, but it may be that part or all of it will be restored in the Coffee Lounge only rather than to the main board.

I recommend anyone considering public comment on the Pell matter now that Pell has been charged:

1. read the advice sheet here:

http://www.vgso.vic.gov.au/content/m...ontempt#whatis

2. remember that just because something has been published elsewhere doesn't mean it isn't sub judice or that it can be safely reproduced.

I hope to have completed reviewing the thread within 2 days.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-07-2017 at 01:00 PM.

About half the posts involved have been restored to a general discussion thread relating to sex abuse by the clergy and allegations of such abuse (including false allegations). Please try to keep that thread in general Pell-free.

The remainder are still under review.

For the duration of the current plebiscite proposal, the "strictly on topic" nature of the same-sex marriage thread is suspended.

Posters may use the thread to discuss anything they consider relevant to the plebiscite, subject to the usual legal requirement that material posted must be legal in every Australian state and territory (this includes copyright law). Natural thread drift is also permitted, though prolonged streams of entirely off-topic posts may be moved.

If posters want to post material about same-sex issues other than marriage and don't specifically wish to connect it to the plebiscite debate, they should keep using the other same-sex issues thread.

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ts-here-please
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 12-08-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Ten years ago I promised to never again edit a user sigfile unless it breached the site rules. I have just edited a sigfile that was in breach of the following rule:

* Failing to follow a directive from an admin or moderator may result in immediate action being taken against the poster. If you disagree with any decision or directive from the admins or moderators, take it up by PM with the admin or moderator concerned, in the moderation discussion thread or by starting a new thread in the non-chess or Help and Feedback sections. If still not satisfied you may contact the site owner.
    and arguably also in breach of:

Action may also be taken against members who encourage other members to break site rules or breach moderation directives, no matter where or how the encouragement occurs.
    Use of sigfiles to complain about moderation isn't allowed and may result in obsequious, hand-wringing lefty bans, but anyone with a moderation complaint is welcome to take it up in the ways specified above.

Thread Information