This is a thread for moderators to post details of decisions made about moderation standards - may also include details of reasons for any further bannings or deletions for non-obvious reasons. This thread has been created so that there is less confusion about what the existing standards are (including for the various moderators!)
No list of rules will be complete and the mods reserve the right to moderate anything at any stage for any reason. In general standards here are fairly liberal, however these are some of the standards that are already in place:
* No illegal material (the main issues here are defamation, illegal vilification and threats of violence).
* No swearing or excessive crudity. Some latitude is shown in mild cases but there is a low tolerance for crude/vulgar abuse towards other posters, particularly those who are relatively new to the board.
* Irrelevant insults about personal attributes are not permitted. For instance, irrelevant insults related to age, appearance, weight, gender, sexuality, personal life or lifestyle will generally not be tolerated.
* No spamming or post-flooding. Advertising coming chess events within Australia is strongly encouraged within the tournaments section, but posts advertising general chess websites from overseas will generally be deleted, especially if made by posters without previous posts. Any use of the forum's PM or email facilities to send the same unsolicited message to many users will be considered spam.
* Please keep your posts relevant to the original topic of the thread, or at least to other posts on it, especially within chess-related sections of the board. Posts that are off-topic may be deleted or moved to new or other threads. Threadjacking (deliberately disrupting discussions with off-topic posts or irrelevant issues) is not permitted.
* The shoutbox often provides the first impression new users receive of the Chess Chat community. Posters should therefore be respectful of other conversations and avoid even low level vulgarity. Excessive trolling may result in loss of shouting rights. Further shoutbox guidelines may be found here.
* Attempts at circumventing the board's auto-censoring of words feature are not permitted.
* Unnecessary thread proliferation (eg deliberately creating a new thread that duplicates existing discussion or starting multiple copies of the same thread) is not permitted. However, starting new threads to explore side-issues that are not relevant to the original subject is strongly encouraged.
* Impersonation of other users or of Australian chess personalities generally, including via PM, is not permitted. Multiple accounts for a single poster may be permitted, or not, at our discretion. We will frequently ban anonymous accounts that are suspected of being operated by banned users, any account that misrepresents the nature of the person operating it (eg adult posters pretending to be juniors) and any account employing a proxy IP.
* When quoting posts made on this board, please attribute them to the username of the poster who posted them, rather than the poster's real name (where different) or any other "name". The real names of posters who post under an alias may, however, be mentioned sparingly where known.
* Links to material that falls outside the site rules must be clearly labelled "not work safe" and must contain additional warnings if the material linked to is unusually gross, potentially disturbing etc. In extreme cases links may be deleted even if a disclaimer is provided. Some links may be better posted in the Coffee Lounge rather than the main board.
* Any user posting a link to something they have written elsewhere grants permission for CC members to quote part or all of the relevant section of the material they are referring to, on this forum. A user wishing to link to something they have written elsewhere, where the portion relevant to the thread being posted to is short (eg less than twenty lines long), should quote the part relevant to the thread instead of just posting a link. The moderators reserve the right to delete links to, or quotes of, self-written material that is out of date and of no interest to the thread at the time of posting.
* While a poster is banned they cannot cause material to be posted on chesschat, including posting under a different account name or arranging for another poster to post material on their behalf. Any attempt to evade a ban in this manner will lead to a much longer ban. Starting a new account or using a hydra account while banned are also not permitted, even if not posting at the time.
* While a poster is banned from chesschat it is not permitted to post on their behalf in any way, or to post links to anything they have written while banned. Quoting of banned posters is permitted only if (i) the material quoted was written before the poster's current ban commenced (onus is on the quoter to demonstrate this) or (ii) the quoting is clearly for the purposes of critical discussion (not necessarily negative) rather than deliberately helping the banned poster to circumvent their ban by having their comments appear here.
Any post consisting largely of quoting of material by one or more banned posters with little or no original comment added will breach this rule, as will any post that quotes a banned user without discussing the comments quoted in relation to points being discussed on the thread. In any case all material quoted must be clearly within the site rules. If in doubt about this rule, please check your intended post with a moderator before posting it.
* Issues related to suicide or depression must be handled sensitively. Also, it is not permitted to use expressions that can be reasonably read as suggesting that posters take their own lives, that posters should die, or that posters should come to serious harm, unless the context is clearly amicable and harmless.
* The Coffee Lounge is a private bonus subforum for users with at least 500 posts. Material written there may not be republished in any other medium whatsoever, including on other forums, except with the written consent of the author(s) of all material being republished. Links to the Coffee Lounge from the main board (or posts having the same effect as links) are not permitted.
Moderators will moderate the following matter within the Coffee Lounge: defamation where a risk of legal action is perceived, crude abuse, gratuitous or excessive swearing, and material likely to offend many adults. If the site owner does not approve of a poster's behaviour in the Coffee Lounge for any reason, he may take any action he considers appropriate.
* Private communications of any sort, including but not limited to PMs, emails and letters, may not be posted or quoted publicly (including elsewhere in the case of PMs or emails from this site) without the written consent of the author(s) of all material being quoted. A communication is private if its author has, or may reasonably have, an expectation of confidentiality. Exceptions include tournament announcements, newsletters and some other materials with a wide circulation that are clearly not in confidence. Internal proceedings of chess organisations and businesses are in confidence unless stated otherwise no matter how many recipients there are.
The onus is strongly on the poster of a communication to ensure that its posting is permitted prior to doing so, if necessary by asking a moderator.
* No legal threats (including threatening to "seek legal advice") may be made anywhere, including outside the site, against either the site or another poster on account of material posted here without first contacting the moderators and asking that the offending material be removed. Such a request may state that material is defamatory but may not include any reference to the possibility of legal action.
* Posters who have been repeatedly moderated will be suspended if they post while apparently drunk.
* The moderators/admins reserve the right to take any action they deem appropriate against members who make demonstrably false or misleading claims about this site or its administration/moderation on other sites. We recommend that members having issues with administration/moderation pursue those issues on this site. Action may also be taken against members who encourage other members to break site rules or breach moderation directives, no matter where or how the encouragement occurs.
* The site has a responsibility for posts policy to make it possible to determine when those posters who also hold formal positions in the chess community are posting on behalf of their organisations. Comments that contravene this policy (ie that accuse posters of posting on behalf of organisations when they are not, and vice versa) may be moderated.
* Failing to follow a directive from an admin or moderator may result in immediate action being taken against the poster. If you disagree with any decision or directive from the admins or moderators, take it up by PM with the admin or moderator concerned, in the moderation discussion thread or by starting a new thread in the non-chess or Help and Feedback sections. If still not satisfied you may contact the site owner.
* The moderators/admins reserve the right to delete any sig files they deem to be inflammatory or controversial. This includes but is not limited to criticism of other members, this site or its moderation/administration.
* Sig files that are excessively long, garish or otherwise detract from the primary purpose of the site, will lead to the member being requested to 'tone it down'. Failure to comply with such requests may also result in the sigfile being deleted.
* If a member sends another member any PM that the recipient has previously indicated is not wanted, then the offending member may have their PM rights revoked or other action taken.
* Premium members who obtain information not available to other members are not allowed to reveal that information publicly. Penalties include immediate loss of premium membership rights without refund and immediate banning.
* The use of temporary, disposable or password-unprotected email addresses to sign up is strongly discouraged. Apparently genuine registrants from such addresses will be emailed and asked to provide a permanent email address instead. No response after 24 hours will lead to the original account being banned. All such email address domains that we discover will be added to our blocked domain list.