Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Australian Universities Championships

At the moment this still has "unofficial" status, but I am hoping for it to become an "official" one soon. (Denis will be putting a proposal to the ACF).

The first one will be held in Sydney in February 2006 (dates and venue TBA).

Because we are assuming a variable number of entrants (from 1 to x) from a University, it will be held as an individual swiss. There will be an individual Uni Champion, as well as a team champion. (adding the best 3 scores from each Uni). There will be a small entry fee ($10?) to cover costs and trophies.

I would like some input

- any negative/positive comments

- should members from a Uni play each other (we can use the "club" mechanism in Swiss perfect to prevent it).

- is early in Feb better, or should it be as closer to the start of Uni

- I would think limiting it to "students" rather than "staff" will create a better atmosphere - any comment?

If people could provide contact details (either here or via PM or e-mail) for Uni chess clubs, that would be great. Individual e-mail details would be good as well so I can create a distribution list for info.

Account Permanently Banned
    hi jenni

Sounds good.
    One of my favourite old memories was participating in INTERVARSITY Championships...golf, and football, and squash.

Do they still hold INTERVARSITY Championships? Which month?
    Anyone?
    Last edited by ursogr8; 24-05-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Do they still hold INTERVARSITY Championships? Which month?
    Anyone?
    yes they do i think. I have seen advertising for this year somewhere, I think it is being held in cairns. Dont quote me on that though i just remember seeing something about it somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Because we are assuming a variable number of entrants (from 1 to x) from a University, it will be held as an individual swiss. There will be an individual Uni Champion, as well as a team champion. (adding the best 3 scores from each Uni). There will be a small entry fee ($10?) to cover costs and trophies.

I would like some input

- should members from a Uni play each other (we can use the "club" mechanism in Swiss perfect to prevent it).

- I would think limiting it to "students" rather than "staff" will create a better atmosphere - any comment?

If people could provide contact details (either here or via PM or e-mail) for Uni chess clubs, that would be great. Individual e-mail details would be good as well so I can create a distribution list for info.
    How much prize money is there going to be etc, because unless it is substantial, i dont think it will be too much of a NATIONAL event. I would find it hard to see anyone from QLD travelling down to it.

For university of qld chess club, I am the person to send tournament information to, so send it my way Jenni.

hi Libby

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    How much prize money is there going to be etc, because unless it is substantial, i dont think it will be too much of a NATIONAL event. I would find it hard to see anyone from QLD travelling down to it.

For university of qld chess club, I am the person to send tournament information to, so send it my way Jenni.
    No prize money - trophies only. I don't believe the University games has prize money for the various divsion?

You are right that we are going to find it hard to attract all states, but we can build on it. I have interest from Vic, ACT and NSW so far and I am hoping to get at least one person from QLd and SA.

You are right that we are going to find it hard to attract all states, but we can build on it. I have interest from Vic, ACT and NSW so far and I am hoping to get at least one person from QLd and SA.
    ok you might get one person from qld i am sure you will get that many

Account Permanently Banned
    Now corrected.

I know what I was thinking.

starter

Now corrected.

I know what I was thinking.

starter
    We are used to being consdered interchangeable....

CC Candidate Master
    I think few players will play if the tournament is run in Febuary. It needs to be run after university clubs have had a chance to get into motion for the year. Most university chess clubs have a very unstable nature because the turnover rate for the committee is very high (students come and go in only a few years). I think the most successful time of the year for this event is early semster 2, so probably July/August.

The tournament must be an individual swiss. A teams event wont work for universities. In the past, a similar tournament for universities was attempted and failed to get enough entries simply because teams of 4 could not be formed. For example, if 3 players are interested, a team cannot be formed.

If you can, try to make the entry fee smaller. If the cost is too high and clubs cannot pay for the players, then there will be few players because students are a poor demographic. $10 is considered high by many students.

I think it is best if you decide on the day whether players from the same uni can play each other. Basically, the determining factor is how many players from each uni, but other things such as where the best few players are from the same uni may come into it. This detail is not likely to influence participation rates.

I don't think excluding staff makes a big difference. There are not that many staff that would play anyway. So you may as well include them.

It will be very difficult to get players from interstate. If you can achieve this then it would be great, but I think it is unlikely.

The SU Chess Club contact details are on our website:

http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jchan3/succ

CC Candidate Master
    I should explain why I think running this tournament early semester 2 is the best time. Basically, the club has had enough time to run some events and get into motion by that time of year. Also, it is the time of semester when there are few assignments, exams are not close enough yet, etc.

Most university chess clubs do nothing during the end of year break (December to February). If you run the tournament in Febuary, they may not give notice for the event, and many players from the club will not be meeting each other to discuss about the event, give word-of-mouth, etc. Finally, there are international (and even local) students who are not in Australia in Febuary, they wait just before the start of semester before they come back.

Finally, dont run the tournament in the middle of the semester, get as close to the start as you can, otherwise assessments will prevent people from playing. Different unis have different weeks schedules, so you have to take this into account too.

There are some good points there against a Feb comp - does anyone else have a feeling about this?

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Hi Jenni, I agree with 1min GM.

February is a very bad month to hold it, the first year students won't have enrolled until late February, early March. Then they will have all the worries of starting a new course, familiarizing themselves with their new surrounds, finding a place to stay, making new friends, joining social clubs, coming up with money to buy text books, parking permits, course fees, etc.

Perhaps the the last thing they would want to do is uproot themselves during the middle of all this to go on a possibly expensive trip to play in a chess tournament.

I think the break between first and second semester would be an ideal time. Students have had time to settle their affairs, and might be looking for a diversion before the next semester starts.

One question: is entry restricted just to students? Or can university employees participate too?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    One question: is entry restricted just to students? Or can university employees participate too?
    It's kind of all up for discussion at the moment - I'd like to take all points of view and then come up with a comp that hopefully works. The accent is on "participation" rather than "elite" and trying to create something that gives kids who've played the schools comp something to move to. I guess my main thrust is to create something for the 18 to 25 group, but I am not against including employees if people think that would work?

CC FIDE Master

Australian Universities Championships

At the moment this still has "unofficial" status, but I am hoping for it to become an "official" one soon. (Denis will be putting a proposal to the ACF).

The first one will be held in Sydney in February 2006 (dates and venue TBA).

I would like some input

Geeze... This is a tough one Jenni, even for you. This was tried a few years back while I was still a student at UNSW. Allen Richards from Sydney Uni, tried really hard to get something going, but only UNSW and Sydney turned up. Sydney had 1 team or 4, and UNSW had three teams. To make things worse Macquarie Uni pulled out the night before. I was a little disapointed ANU didn't send a team either.

You are facing an up hill battle. Firstly any true universities event should not contain staff- just students from Undergrad to Phd. While a lot of chess players work at uni's, you loose what I believe you are trying to achieve. Which is a social event, for really big kids!

Then there is apathy... This frustrated me terribly at UNSW. We had some super players who studied there, but trying to get them to play an allergo on one afternoon was tough, it was almost impossible to run my UNSW FIDE invitationals. I have Kerry Stead partially to thank.

I think your best bet, which will be expensive is a Uni masters. A 10 player RR with Australia's Top Uni Players. (Smurf, Zong-Yuan, George Xie, Tomek, etc...) But you'll have to offer good conditons, so that may be too expensive.

A teams event (though the fun bet, won't work...) Trying to get 4 people from the one uni, to commit to one weekend is impossible.

Another idea is just an individiual swiss, but to be honest you may hit 20-30 if you are super lucky and the event is held in Sydney for that to happen. I plan to go back to uni part time soon, and I would like to play but I can't see it being too popular.

There are too many other factors that compete... Study, Work, Booze, Women (for the guys that is...) and apathy. Most tournament players don't play much through uni, though its getting better, it still far from good...

Good luck...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Thread Information