December 29 2004 - January 10 2005

Australian Junior Championships
    January 13 - 23 2005

$20,000+ of prizes

Venue: Mercure Grand Chalet Mt Buller
    - GM's, IM's and Internationals!
    - Lucky-prize draws (value $5000+)
    - Fantastic accommodation packages
    - Daily activities (movies, GM lectures, social events)
    - Events and activities for families, siblings and friends
    - Non chess events
    - Free chair-lift, swimming pool access, sports and much more!

Website coming soon...

What dates are you planning for the Australian Schools Teams Championship?
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    samspade wrote:
    Hey David which GMs and IMs have you heard from so far?
    hehehehe! very funny hehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    hey shut up I had a sincere interest in what titled players have expressed interest in playing, no humour was intended.
    but it showed absolutely no knowledge of australian chess players habits lol, most ppl wont decide till about one month before hand

Relax Samspade I wasn't having a go at you. Its just well...let's say....there is a big dispute in Victoria going on about....errr....dare I say it......ummmm....Chessguru dosen't actually always tend to ask people if they are playing, he just sort of makes it up according to rumor.....needless to say a number of people are upset at about this questionable practice........what did Huxley call the term? hypnopaedia, maybe Orwell called it propaganda, I think Yuppies call the term Marketing, I'm not sure what it is,but it aint always the truth.

Cheers FG7
    P.S Don't believe the hype-Public Enemy

How about plain old b*ll_sch*t? So fg7, you're calling the Guru a b*ll_sch*t-artist then?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    How about plain old b*ll_sch*t? So fg7, you're calling the Guru a b*ll_sch*t-artist then?

AR
    i thought all the cv mcc stuff was going to be sorted out in house from now on. this stuff from firegoat doesnt help.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    i thought all the cv mcc stuff was going to be sorted out in house from now on. this stuff from firegoat doesnt help.
    You are a bore gray. Where's the fun in that? No wonder you cane toads haven't had one b*tc-h fight on this BB.

AR

I dont think fg7's opinion here is related to a mcc v CV issue but more FG7 simply relating an expression of a number of peoples views V CG's ability to state an actual fact as opposed to a hope/belief.

Hell that was pretty damn diplomatic for me now wasnt it.

Account Permanently Banned

We don't know Queensland rules

i thought all the cv mcc stuff was going to be sorted out in house from now on.
    This is news to me g'ag'y.
    Since when did the Mexicans agree to these Queensland rules? The mexican History thread is working, and just because jammo has used the R - word does not mean we have abandoned the bulletin board as a way of airing our differences. In fact, the results so far have been air-clearing. Even WBA seems convinced. So, we are just going to hang-up any dirty washing we like for you to see; if it proves beneficial. If you don't want to know the score; turn away now.

Go for it fg7 if you want to know the answer. And the spectators hanging over the fence will keep score.

This stuff from firegoat doesnt help.
    To negotiate one must talk gg.

Say on fg7.
    (But trim the tripe will ya. Cutting-and-pasting your course notes <into posts> from whatever you are doing, is costing me heaps on my dial-up downloads).

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 23-02-2004 at 06:02 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    At this stage the following players have confirmed their intention to play in the Australian Open 2005 under conditions offered to them:

GM Shabalov, Alex (2636) USCF 2700
    GM Ehlvehst, Jaan (2599) USCF 2665
    GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2564) USCF 2675

I don't know how to phrase it any other way....they are coming! Whether they show up or not I guess you won't know until the day, but I assume Firegoat that you will be there to check up on me?

Also I have received interest from:
    GM Yermolinsky, Alex (2566)
    GM Atalik, Suat (2554)

And I am currently negotiating their attendance also.

I know that is only 5, and I did promise 6, but there is still plenty of time. With regards to IM's they will enter soon enough...

Dear Hoodooguru,

Your word should be enough for me. Unfortunately, let me say I am a cynic.
    It would be great if these GM's turn up, you should be congratulated on such an achievement when it happens.

However, I see you haven't advertised GM Johansen, or IM Froehilch, am I right to presume that this is because they may be upset with previous attempts by you to associate their names with your tournaments without physically asking them?

Hoping to find the truth,
    FG7

Account Permanently Banned

How to do pre-publicity?

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Dear Hoodooguru,

Your word should be enough for me. Unfortunately, let me say I am a cynic.
    It would be great if these GM's turn up, you should be congratulated on such an achievement when it happens.

However, I see you haven't advertised GM Johansen, or IM Froehilch, am I right to presume that this is because they may be upset with previous attempts by you to associate their names with your tournaments without physically asking them?

Hoping to find the truth,
    FG7
    An interesting point you raise fg7.

How to do pre-publicity?

Box Hill are holding a week-ender in June. If I advertised
    GM Shabalov, Alex (2636) USCF 2700
    GM Ehlvehst, Jaan (2599) USCF 2665
    GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2564) USCF 2675

Also I have received interest from:
    GM Yermolinsky, Alex (2566)
    GM Atalik, Suat (2554)

definitely will not be with us; then I would not attract interest.

And the two locals you have mentioned will not confirm entry.

Then I would be left with something like the advertising slogan
    "Come to the XXXXXXX week-ender and play with Pecori, who has been asked but doesn't read here anymore, and possibly play with jammo who said he might".
    Doesn't have much of a ring to it, does it.
    On the other hand, if the promoter doesn't advertise then it makes success very difficult

starter

ps

ggray,
    Notice in the above I resisted to mention the VIC OPEN week-ender as a gratuitous promotion. Just for you.

CC FIDE Master
    An interesting question has been raised. Let us call for any students of logic who read this BB to umpire.

What is "to invite someone" to a tournament? As our first premise let us assume that an entry form or tournament flyer is an "invitation". Being the only way people are made aware that an event is happening, this seems a reasonable assumption.

So, the moment a players reads the invitation with their name on it they cannot claim not to have been invited. Should they not read the invitation then they cannot know they have been named.

In fact, an invitation with a player's NAME on it is surely a more personal invitation than one without? So any players who are supposedly upset at not being invited should in fact be thrilled if they get named. Not only does it imply a PERSONAL invitation to that player, but also it is free publicity.

As a final thought; what is the only thing worse than being talked about?

What do you guys back home want. I can tell you it aint going to be easy to lure 'big guns' (GM's) back to Australia at this time of the year! For a lot that i know they tell me its about the only period of the year they have off competive chess.

I have 3 GM's in mind when I think about the Aus Open 2004-2005. They have expressed interest to myself.

GM's Andrei Scheckashev, Michail Ivanov and Alex Karpatchev have spoken to myself and requested more 'firm' details on the event (by firm they are ussually talking about $$$) I will be playing in an tourney with these guys next month and it will probably be one of my last chances to round up some European players for our tourneys back home.

As much as I know these guys want to play here (and I know them pretty well) Its going to be tough getting back to Aus. Ill be trying my best to get an Aussie event a Gm standard event (that would be nice).

James

Thread Information