CC Candidate Master The_Wise_Man's Avatar

Team Events - Ratings Caps...

What do people think of a tournament that has a rating cap of 6400 for 4 players (1600*4). Something to think about....

How would you play it... do you play a really strong player and a really weak player... 4 x 1600 players....

Have such caps been used in any tournaments in the past...

Wise
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wise_Man
    What do people think of a tournament that has a rating cap of 6400 for 4 players (1600*4). Something to think about....

How would you play it... do you play a really strong player and a really weak player... 4 x 1600 players....

Wise
    The Nell Van Der Graff tournament on the Gold Coast, which is also a gp cat 3 tournament, has a team component. Players can choose their own teams or be allocated a team by the arbiter.
    The team must have an average rating of less than 1400 normally (last year it was raised to 1500 as the arbiter couldnt get everyone into teams with a 1400 average).

But still it is a individual competition first and team competition second.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Wise_Man
    Wise
    I believe this is a common format for team competitions in the USCF.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    wouldn't it be better to play 3*1800+1*1000 for a 1600 average?
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC FIDE Master
    They run a team comp. on the Central Coast based on a rating point cap every year. Kieth Farrell, the NSWCA country Rep would be the one to talk to about it.

CC FIDE Master
    The ACTCA ran a teams comp a few years back with the average rating having to be below X, where the formula was (R1+R2*2+R3*2+R4)/6 ie the two middle players had a bigger influence on the average than Players 1 and 4. This was to avoid the situation where you have 3 strong players and one very weak player, with the intention of winning 3-1 every match. Of course you can still go for 1 strong, two average and 1 weak, but this is less of a problem. And by using game points rather than match points as a scoring system reduces the temptation a little further.

CC FIDE Master

Rating Limits

Chris,
    You pose an interesting question though I think the NSWCA has got it right here. Your suggestion has some issues. One is what do you do with U/R players in the 6400? Another (and this would favour`St George) is clubs with a lot of strong players in each division could get away with having 3 players 1600-1700 in the U1600 grade (lets say) and playing a soild adult on B4, but it's not so good for the smaller clubs. This has been frustrating at times with 3 players last year rated between 1600-1650 and all 3 having been members of the St George Grade Match team the year before. We were even more grumpy as it was the 70 pt increase that put these three players over 1600 and so only one could play. As a result I couldn't play U1600 as another player had that spot, and I didn't enjoy the U1800 because the U1600 it was a fun team to play in.`

I have to say the one thing I really liked about European grade matches is that any player can play in any division and as much I would like the same to happen in Sydney the players wouldn't accept it. I'd love Ian Rogers to play Division C of the grade matches if we needed him, but I can't see that ever happening!
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

CC Grandmaster
    I think it's a great idea for a few low key (and low prize) events. Unrated players would obviously have to enter either with an estimated rating, or with a pre determined rating for the purpose of team construction (say 1000).

I think there would be issues in a major event about preventing rating manipulation. There are also going to be fights over the underrated players. I daresay there could be some bidders for a 1400 rated James Bonning if the event was long time control

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I daresay there could be some bidders for a 1400 rated James Bonning if the event was long time control
    i suspect that mr bonning's fide rating would be used

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    i suspect that mr bonning's fide rating would be used
    I suspect it wouldnt be.

Thread Information