Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar

NSWCA NSW Open 2005

The NSW Chess Association invites your participation in this category 3 Grand Prix Event
    Total prizes of $6700 with $5000 guaranteed..

Run in 2 divisions Open & U1600

Where:
    Ryde-Eastwood Leagues Club
    117 Ryedale Rd, West Ryde (1 minute from West Ryde Station)

When:
    Saturday 12th / Sunday 13th / Monday 14th June

Director:
    Charles Zworestine [International Arbiter]

Time Control:
    FIDE time control 90 minutes + 30 seconds per move from the start

Entry Open

Entry U1600
    Adult: $80.00 Junior [u/18]: $60.00 If registered by Monday 6th of June
    Entry fee after June 6th Adult: $100.00 Junior [u/18]: $75.00

Adult: $70.00 * Junior [u/18]: $50.00 If registered by Monday 6th of June
    Entry fee after June 6th Adult: $90.00 Junior [u/18]: $65.00
    Entries will be accepted on Saturday June 11th till 12.30pm only.

Schedule:

Saturday
    noon-12:30 Registration; 1.00pm Round 1; 5:30pm round 2;

Sunday
    10:30 Round 3; 3:00 round 4; 7:00 round 5;;

Monday
    Monday 10:30 Round 6; 3:00 round 7; 7:00 presentation

Prizes:
    Open Division: 1st $1200, 2nd $700 3rd $500 4th $400 5th $300, U2000-1850 1st $250 2nd $150, U1850-1700 1st $250 2nd $150, U1700 1st $200

Richest u1600 tournament in Australia
    U1600 1st $750 2nd $500 3rd $350,
    U1500-1350 1st $250 2nd $150, U1350-1200 1st $250 2nd $150, U1200 1st $200

Prize fund of $6700 based on 100 entries. $5000 is guaranteed by NSWCA irrespective of entries

Players are eligible for only 1 prize.
    All NSW resident players must be members of (or join) the NSWCA or the NSWJCL
    For further information phone Trent Parker on 0419469764 , email trentthechessnut@yahoo.com.au or visit the NSWCA website: http://www.nswca.org.au/
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC International Master
    Not good enough, the NSWCA should have garanteed all the prize money. It is a total cop out to say $6,700 in prize money, only if we get 100 punters to play.

If $5,000 is garanteed then that's what you advertise. I think it's dishonest to do otherwise considering the dollars you have in the bank.

Now I know someone will say: you can't keep losing money on every tournament? and that maybe true, but this is the State title.

As only those who are members of the NSWCA can play and every member pays to join. It should be that NSWCA fully funds it.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bergil
    It is a total cop out to say $6,700 in prize money, only if we get 100 punters to play
    AFAIK this sort of thing has been pretty much accepted practice in Australian chess for a while now, I don't find it particularly misleading or scandalous. Generally speaking if your revenue decreases, you cut costs. Over to you, Bill.

CC International Master
    So why pay a NSWCA membership fee? Don't get me wrong I'm all for the fee, but some of it should go toward supporting this tournament.

So why pay a NSWCA membership fee? Don't get me wrong I'm all for the fee, but some of it should go toward supporting this tournament.
    You mean the $25 fee?

AR

CC International Master
    Yes but not everyone pays that much, with country and so on.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    AFAIK this sort of thing has been pretty much accepted practice in Australian chess for a while now, I don't find it particularly misleading or scandalous. Generally speaking if your revenue decreases, you cut costs. Over to you, Bill.
    Firstly I think that organisers should only advertise fully guaranteed prize pools, for two reasons. A) It forces the organisers to do a better job of budgeting their tournaments B) To not do so leaves the organisers open to charges of shonky advertising tricks.

I have been involved in 2 major events where prizes were reduced because of a shortfall in entries. One was the Australian Open in Canberra 2000/01 where a number of people complained despite the entry form only guaranteeing a portion of the prizes. The consensus from the organisers was that in hindsight we should have just advertised a fully guaranteed prize pool.
    The other was a Gosford tournament in 1998(?) where fantastic prizes were on offer, but the entry number fell about 50% short of the (wild) projections. When the organiser got up to announce the rather substantial drop in prizes I was expecting a full scale riot. Instead the players just shrugged their shoulders and went on with the tournament.

Not good enough, the NSWCA should have garanteed all the prize money. It is a total cop out to say $6,700 in prize money, only if we get 100 punters to play.
    It is entirely valid to say it.
    There is $6,700 advertised in prize money and that is based on 100 entries.
    The advert makes that clear.
    If $5,000 is garanteed then that's what you advertise. I think it's dishonest to do otherwise considering the dollars you have in the bank.
    It isnt dishonest at all and the NSWCA bank balance is irrelevant.
    It is abundandtly clear that the prize fund adds up to $6,700 and that this is based on 100 entires.
    It is also abundantly clear that the NSWCA is guaranteeing $5,000 of the prize fund irrespective of entries.

If we didnt tie the $6700 to 100 entries and we got 140 players then you would obviously have no problem with us paying only the advertised $6,700 in prize money and us pocketing the rest as profit.
    Pull the other one it plays jingle bells.
    Now I know someone will say: you can't keep losing money on every tournament? and that maybe true, but this is the State title.
    Incorrect it is not the state Title. The State title is the NSW Championship.
    As only those who are members of the NSWCA can play and every member pays to join. It should be that NSWCA fully funds it.
    No, all NSWCA events are self funding.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 07-06-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Firstly I think that organisers should only advertise fully guaranteed prize pools, for two reasons. A) It forces the organisers to do a better job of budgeting their tournaments B) To not do so leaves the organisers open to charges of shonky advertising tricks.
    The NSWCA Council disagrees.
    We see no reason not to tie the prize fund to entries, provided that if you lower the prize due to less entries, then you increase the prize fund if you get more. The situations of the later has been rare in recent times. Last year however the NSW Open met its target and the advertised prize fund was fully paid.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 07-06-2005 at 10:55 PM.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I agree with Mr Press. Keeps things tight.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I agree with Mr Press. Keeps things tight.
    So what you are saying is that if we didnt tie the $6700 to 100 entries and we got 140 players then we should only pay the advertised $6,700 in prize money and the NSWCA pockets the rest as profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    So what you are saying is that if we didnt tie the $6700 to 100 entries and we got 140 players then we should only pay the advertised $6,700 in prize money and the NSWCA pockets the rest as profit.
    I would gree to that. The $2k "profit" could then be used to boost the next big event.

It is not sensable to try and runn every event as revenue nuetral. It would make sense to make the summ of all events revenue nuetral. Some down $1k some up a $1k

I gree with Press. No headline prize*

*(plus small print)

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMcKagan
    I would gree to that. The $2k "profit" could then be used to boost the next big event.
    Feedback the Council has received previously suggests that many people disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuffMcKagan
    It is not sensable to try and runn every event as revenue nuetral. It would make sense to make the summ of all events revenue nuetral. Some down $1k some up a $1k
    Actually we dont always reduce the prize fund as much as we should. e.g. the numbers in the recent May weekender were only 50% of the numbers required for the listed prizes but instead of paying 50% of the prizes we actually paid 60% and ran at a bigger loss.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Grand Total of 95 Early Entries So Far!
    50 in open and 45 in minor.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC International Master
    If we didnt tie the $6700 to 100 entries and we got 140 players then you would obviously have no problem with us paying only the advertised $6,700 in prize money and us pocketing the rest as profit.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Pull the other one it plays jingle bells.

Testy aren't you

Thread Information