Thread: PIPE Brisbane

chmod -x /bin/chmod

PIPE Brisbane

Hi,

The Chess Chat server is now located in PIPE's Brisbane datacenter, so the lag is minimal. The forum should be loading lightning fast now.

Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    The Chess Chat server is now located in PIPE's Brisbane datacenter, so the lag is minimal. The forum should be loading lightning fast now.
    Interesting development STML .... I'm getting ~50ms pings now which seems about right.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Interesting development STML .... I'm getting ~50ms pings now which seems about right.
    I'm getting an average ping time of around 30ms.
    Interestingly back at the end of January when STML got us to do a speed test you were averaging 353ms whilst I was averaging 238ms.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 08-05-2005 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I'm getting an average ping time of around 30ms.
    Interestingly back when STML got us to do a speed test you were averaging 353ms whilst I was averaging 238ms.
    Yep ... but I was on a modem dialup account at that time I think ... I've now got a 1500/256 ADSL VLAN connection into work here in Melbourne with a 6Mbit pipe from there to the 'Net.

Things are noticeably snappier now which is good. I average 18ms to my 'Net gateway, so that means its about another 30ms from Melb. to Bris.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Yep ... but I was on a modem dialup account at that time I think ... I've now got a 1500/256 ADSL VLAN connection into work here in Melbourne with a 6Mbit pipe from there to the 'Net.

Things are noticeably snappier now which is good. I average 18ms to my 'Net gateway, so that means its about another 30ms from Melb. to Bris.
    However I was on Optus cable back then and I'm still on Optus cable. Hence the improvement in my ping times would seem to be due to STML's movement of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    However I was on Optus cable back then and I'm still on Optus cable. Hence the improvement in my ping times would seem to be due to STML's movement of the board.
    Yep, seems so. I am guessing that he probably had it located in the USA previously??? If so, then that would account for 200ms+ of the difference I suppose.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Yeah, the previous server was a Dual Xeon, 2GB RAM, but that was overkill when I stopped developing chesslib on it.

Server will be taken down for hardware upgrade around 6PM sydney time

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Sorry for recent downtimes. Should be stable now.

Thread Information