Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Frosty vs ElevatorEscapee

OK, I'll kick things off .... hmmmm .... how about:

1.b4

just to make things interesting. I've never tried to play the Orang-Utan before, so this might be a bit of fun...
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    *EE experiences the following internal monologue prior to his first move.

Ah, up to monkey business right from the start. I've always thought that White was saying "welcome to the jungle" when he plays that as a first move. (Oh great, now I'll have that song going through my head for the whole game!)

I think I remember this opening. If Black plays the 'natural' moves 1... e5 2.Bb2 Nc6? (this looks like a good move as it 1) develops a piece, 2) defends Black's attacked pawn on e5 and 3) attacks White's own undefended pawn on b4. Black reasons that if a move that does two things at once is considered good, then a move that does three things at once must be even better!

Then he runs into the continuation 3.b5 (uh-oh, knight's attacked, better move it) 3... Nd4 (blocking the e5 pawn from capture by the bishop and attacking the undefended pawn on b5 ... again a move with multiple purpose, therefore it must be good!). 4.e3 (uh-oh, knight is attacked again and can't now take the pawn on b5 because the Bishop on f1 defends it.) Poor Black, if only he could find a move that defended both the knight and pawn at the same time he would be ok.

I think the moral of this variation is that moves that do two things at once are good, but beware of moves that do three things at once.

I don't think I'll go into that line, as I have a sneaking suspicion that my opponent might be aware of it...

Better do something conservative instead:

My first move is: 1... c6

(I wonder if anything like that ever went through Bronstein's mind in one of his marathon thinks over his first move).
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Thanks for the inner monologue (did I say that out loud just now?). Conservative eh? Mmmm, sounds plausible. I'll stick to the script:

2.Bb2
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

2... a5

Weee! Here we go!

Oh my wordy Lordy yes Janelle .... Mmmmmmm .... threatening to liquidate my beloved B-pawn. Does wickedness know no bounds??? OK, I'm up for some fun.

3.e4

PGN Viewer

Snatch!!!

3... axb4

Don't worry about the pawn, don't worry about the pawn, don't worry about the pawn .... <deep breathing exercises> ... develop your pieces, control the centre, protect your king ...

4.Bc4

Just got a PM from EE ... he has been getting "Error 404" messages trying to post his next move. No idea why he can't post that whereas he can send to me via PM alright. Anyway, EE wrote:

' "Attack at once! Attack everywhere! and if you fail, attack again!", Stalin's orders to his troops just before 40 divisions of Siberian soldiers were removed from the front against the Japanese and brought into the war against the Nazis.)

Attack!

4... d5

Interesting ... now I'm getting errors trying to post ... maybe the server is undergoing a DoS attack again??? Anyway, mustn't lose my nerve now:

5.exd4

I'm on the road tomorrow, driving to Canberra, then again on Monday up to Sydney, so I'll probably not be on the board much over that timeframe.

Erm,

J'adoube

*picks up Frotsy's pawn from e4 and instead of placing it on d4, places it on d5 and removes his own pawn on that square.

5... cxd5
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 30-04-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Whilst Frosty takes his time thinking over his next move, EE starts singing softly to himself... just loud enough for Frosty to hear, but no one else...

"Don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart, I just don't think he'd understand... and if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart, he might blow up and kill this man!".

EE chuckles to himself, "Heh heh heh, he will have that horrible song repeating through his brain for the rest of the game! Beware my weapons of Music Distraction!"

I'm back @ home. Sorry for the long delay, but Sydney was a LOT busier than I expected and I had no time at all to look in on the board. The move I was trying to post before I left was:

6.Bb5+

but unfortunately my ADSL link was down-and-out last Sunday morning. Anyway, there it is ...

6... Nc6

Sorry ... I'm stuck with a huge work commitment ... we've had a break-in and some of our computer equipment has been "sabotaged". I'll reply at the weekend ...

Okies... no pressure.

Congratulations by the way on avoiding the "book trap" in this line. ;-)

Thread Information