Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

Mt Buller Bulletins....

I had a discussion yesterday with an annoyed chess mum over the state of the Mt Buller Bullietns and the fact that they haven't been produced. I was prettty relaxed (I was thinking it's $20, it's annoying but it's not such a big deal...)

My opinion changed when she said that was my son's pocket money for a month. You'd be pretty annoyed if someone took a month wages of you, and you never got it back.

George do you realise that your sloppiness is really annoying and hurting people. You should do the right thing and offer the money back to those who want it. It's not good enough to say, I'm busy and I'm working... Bite the bullet.

And forget Buller part 2, it will never happen. There is no way Australian chess will give the go ahead for the second event if something this basic hasn't been done 4 mths after the event.

To be fair to George the arbiters at the event were paid well in adavnce. In my case I got paid for the Open and Juniors even before the Open had finished. I needed the money and George in a nice gesture helped out... you gotta finish the job though...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Isn't there some sort of fair trading thing you can invoke?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Liberaci
    I had a discussion yesterday with an annoyed chess mum over the state of the Mt Buller Bullietns and the fact that they haven't been produced. I was prettty relaxed (I was thinking it's $20, it's annoying but it's not such a big deal...)

My opinion changed when she said that was my son's pocket money for a month. You'd be pretty annoyed if someone took a month wages of you, and you never got it back.

George do you realise that your sloppiness is really annoying and hurting people. You should do the right thing and offer the money back to those who want it. It's not good enough to say, I'm busy and I'm working... Bite the bullet.

And forget Buller part 2, it will never happen. There is no way Australian chess will give the go ahead for the second event if something this basic hasn't been done 4 mths after the event.

To be fair to George the arbiters at the event were paid well in adavnce. In my case I got paid for the Open and Juniors even before the Open had finished. I needed the money and George in a nice gesture helped out... you gotta finish the job though...
    Hi Lee

I take it you are referring to the famous CD.

It is unlikely that George will see your posting so I shall reply based on what he told us at last Monday's ACF Council meeting.

George said that he is ready to go with the CDs and he promised to get them out to people this week. I'm one of those who paid so I'll look forward to it too!

Incidentally, the cost was $12, not $20 but whatever it was, we agreed it is time the matter was attended to.

DJ

CC FIDE Master

Fair trading

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Isn't there some sort of fair trading thing you can invoke?

AR

That was also discussed. It's over kill, but it maybe necessary...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

CC Candidate Master

Mt Buller Bulletins

Great to hear that the Bulletins are on their way. Four months is a very long time to wait. Better late than never!

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Hi Lee

I take it you are referring to the famous CD.

It is unlikely that George will see your posting so I shall reply based on what he told us at last Monday's ACF Council meeting.

George said that he is ready to go with the CDs and he promised to get them out to people this week. I'm one of those who paid so I'll look forward to it too!

Incidentally, the cost was $12, not $20 but whatever it was, we agreed it is time the matter was attended to.

DJ
    I'm sure everyone will be very excited to see them in the mailbox Was there a reason behind the hold-up?

We've had so much b.itching and carry-on over the whole event on the BB it would be nice to know what George provided in his verbal report to the ACF. It may be none of our business and there may be no obligation to provide a run-down but it would be good to know what the conclusions and outcomes and "positives" were.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    I'm sure everyone will be very excited to see them in the mailbox Was there a reason behind the hold-up?

We've had so much b.itching and carry-on over the whole event on the BB it would be nice to know what George provided in his verbal report to the ACF. It may be none of our business and there may be no obligation to provide a run-down but it would be good to know what the conclusions and outcomes and "positives" were.
    My first hope is that the CDs materialise as promised.

As for the rest, George really didn't give any general report on the past event and was not pressed to at that stage. I think people were most interested in a financial report. George did promise a full financial report by 31 May. Our next Council meeting is not due until 18 July but there is always scope for e-mail contact between meetings. Other matters have perhaps been so fully canvassed already that they are now regarded a bit as history. Most people have their views of how the events went and George probably could not add much to what has already been said.

He did say that Mt Buller are still wanting to hold another one in 2007 but as of now George is not inclined to want to run it. Although I am convenor of the ACF Council's Steering Committee on a possible Mt Buller III/IV, I have heard nothing from them. Goerge has spoken to Roman (or vice versa) but the ball is in Mt Buller's court to provide a concrete proposal. I think we are all determined not to consider anything less.

I know of at least one other possible bid for some or all of the events in 2006/2007.

My intention, if the States having the options for 2006/2007 don't exercise them, is to call for bids for the Open and Juniors (and the Schools Teams 2006) as soon as possible after the option deadline of 1 July 2005 expires.

DJ

My first hope is that the CDs materialise as promised.

As for the rest, George really didn't give any general report on the past event and was not pressed to at that stage. I think people were most interested in a financial report. George did promise a full financial report by 31 May. Our next Council meeting is not due until 18 July but there is always scope for e-mail contact between meetings. Other matters have perhaps been so fully canvassed already that they are now regarded a bit as history. Most people have their views of how the events went and George probably could not add much to what has already been said.

He did say that Mt Buller are still wanting to hold another one in 2007 but as of now George is not inclined to want to run it. Although I am convenor of the ACF Council's Steering Committee on a possible Mt Buller III/IV, I have heard nothing from them. Goerge has spoken to Roman (or vice versa) but the ball is in Mt Buller's court to provide a concrete proposal. I think we are all determined not to consider anything less.

I know of at least one other possible bid for some or all of the events in 2006/2007.

My intention, if the States having the options for 2006/2007 don't exercise them, is to call for bids for the Open and Juniors (and the Schools Teams 2006) as soon as possible after the option deadline of 1 July 2005 expires.

DJ
    Thanks Denis

I guess my interest stemmed from the stated possibility of a future bid and reasoning that there must be feedback from the first event, or from Mt Buller itself, to support the idea. Partly that is addressed by the financial position of the event but I thought there may be some ideas from George or Mt Buller people, based on our experience there, as well.

I think I've said to you before that I feel it could run well in a venue like that, and that most of the ACT juniors & parents enjoyed their time there, so I'm not really trawling for "nasties."

After all, the only perspective we haven't really had, in any sensible context, is George's. There are a lot of things George and the ACF obviously shouldn't post on a BB when it comes to financial or commercial-in confidence issues etc but there are things to learn should any of us contemplate something like this again - whether it's Mt Buller, Thredbo, or any other remote or resort-type of deal in the future.

Libby

Thredbo
    now there is an idea where are my warm clothes again

CC Grandmaster
    Libby. Unfortunately it appears the reason why nobody has recieved the CD bulletins is George has not sent them out. There is no other reason as far as I know.
    Scott

Thanks Denis

I guess my interest stemmed from the stated possibility of a future bid and reasoning that there must be feedback from the first event, or from Mt Buller itself, to support the idea. Partly that is addressed by the financial position of the event but I thought there may be some ideas from George or Mt Buller people, based on our experience there, as well.

I think I've said to you before that I feel it could run well in a venue like that, and that most of the ACT juniors & parents enjoyed their time there, so I'm not really trawling for "nasties."

After all, the only perspective we haven't really had, in any sensible context, is George's. There are a lot of things George and the ACF obviously shouldn't post on a BB when it comes to financial or commercial-in confidence issues etc but there are things to learn should any of us contemplate something like this again - whether it's Mt Buller, Thredbo, or any other remote or resort-type of deal in the future.

Libby
    I pretty much agree and certainly the ACF Council will not, in my estimation, agree to another Mt Buller without some examination of how the last one could have been better and, just as importantly, without clear terms of any deal with Mt Buller. At the last meeting George did not give much info about the last one and was not pressed to do so. I think that that may occur when the financial report is received and considered.

Incidentally, Thredbo is not as out of the question as some may think as I, as ACTCA President, received an e-mail earlier this year from a Thredbo lodge inviting the ACT to think of holding tournaments or coaching sessions there . Perhaps they had read about Buller and want to stake their claim .

DJ

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Incidentally, Thredbo is not as out of the question as some may think as I, as ACTCA President, received an e-mail earlier this year from a Thredbo lodge inviting the ACT to think of holding tournaments or coaching sessions there . Perhaps they had read about Buller and want to stake their claim .

DJ
    Ditto NSWCA
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

and we can see from this picture that the car has disappeared.

http://ski.mtbuller.com.au/snowcams/bourke.html

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    and we can see from this picture that the car has disappeared.

http://ski.mtbuller.com.au/snowcams/bourke.html
    Ooh isn't that horrible. Brings back memories of many hours spent there on tennis duty!

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Umm, well... Has anyone received their copy of the bulletins yet?
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Thread Information