Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

moderation in all things ... important

Jeo has agreed to hand full and exclusive admin and moderating rights to myself and Kevin Bonham, and to allow posting according to the familiar rules of the old ACF board on this site, without any restriction to particular areas. He and Gandalf will not moderate or admin here any more.

A requirement of the new situation is that all posters agree to indemnify ChessKit, the ACF, the admins and moderators and any other concerned parties for the full cost of any legal action caused by illegal posts made by them. This means that if you make an illegal (eg defamatory) post and someone else is sued for it (eg me), you agree to cover all costs.

This is a very generous move by Jeo and I thank him. It gives access to a very fast, very functional board for robust but reasonable discussion of Australian chess and other matters.

There has of course been a vigorous debate about the future of the bulletin board in recent days, and I suspect that will continue. But notwithstanding my suggestions of earlier today, I think this is a very significant offer which should be looked at favourably.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    *applause to Paul and Jeo*

(I had nothing to do with this one)

This is a promising breakthrough indeed - that removes the issue of conflicting moderation standards in different parts of the board. Assuming this holds, the case in favour of staying is much stronger.

Private ownership and culture clash with CK juniors may still be an issue but I was more concerned about the possible conflict from having bits of the board under different rules.

Paul, we may want to have a chat offline about how (if at all) we want to change standards compared to the old BB. Send me a PM or email if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.

I agree.

Well done Paul and Jeo. =D>

I propose that we either remove, or otherwise indicate as out of date, all the several previous moderation notices that have been rendered redundant by this latest development. This will avoid confusion for new posters.

All those with strong opinions against this, or strong opinions for one of remove/indicate as out of date, please speak within the next day or so.

Kevin, i will admit that i dont understand what your previous post means, can you explain further please?

There are a couple of places on the board where the moderation policy is decribed under announcements or moderation policy as it was prior to Paul's announcement above.

As such this could lead to confusion for people reading the old announcements.

Kevin is therefore suggesting they either be deleted or marked as out of date.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Sorry for explaining myself poorly. Bill's right - there is a long post up by Jeo explaining how we would run the board split into two halves, and there is one up by me outlining a rather strict policy on swearing. These are now out of date, so they will be confusing to new members. I was proposing to either put an "out of date" comment on them or else delete them. Maybe the first is best as they are still part of the site's history, I don't know.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    DO NOT delete. It is "history" and should be preserved. Just mark them as OUT OF DATE - [Link]

Its been up less than 2 days with 70 odd views.

I suggest its deleted so as not to cause confusion and for the simple reason that way I'm not agreeing with Sweeney.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    It should be easy to preserve them by moving them all to a new thread called "***Obsoleted moderation posts***" or some such. That way they should not confuse newbies but can be found by oldbies if needs be.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.
    I certainly did benefit. Much experience gained.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    Like sharing a cell with a lifer who likes the colour of your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Like sharing a cell with a lifer who likes the colour of your eyes.
    Yet another fine demonstration of your class.

CC International Master

Re: moderation in all things ... important

Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Jeo has agreed to hand full and exclusive admin and moderating rights to myself and Kevin Bonham, and to allow posting according to the familiar rules of the old ACF board on this site, without any restriction to particular areas. He and Gandalf will not moderate or admin here any more.

A requirement of the new situation is that all posters agree to indemnify ChessKit, the ACF, the admins and moderators and any other concerned parties for the full cost of any legal action caused by illegal posts made by them. This means that if you make an illegal (eg defamatory) post and someone else is sued for it (eg me), you agree to cover all costs.

This is a very generous move by Jeo and I thank him. It gives access to a very fast, very functional board for robust but reasonable discussion of Australian chess and other matters.

There has of course been a vigorous debate about the future of the bulletin board in recent days, and I suspect that will continue. But notwithstanding my suggestions of earlier today, I think this is a very significant offer which should be looked at favourably.

What a wonderful agreement between Paul and Kartick. This is a very fine outcome, and you both should be very proud for your efforts. Welll done indeed

That was a very magnimonious guesture by Jeo. This is indeed a very significant guesture, and I hope others in this BB respond in kind by now agreeing to stay in this very functional new BB - rather than have 2 boards.

Paul's policy of making it a term of agreement for posting , to indemnify the ACF and Chesskit for defamatory posts is a inspired choice. This addresses the main arguement for having 2 boards, and also addresses the concerns raised by Bill about the chess kit moderators.

Well done. Australian chess is well served by you'll
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thank you for your very magnimonious guesture
    Always do your Best

Thread Information