Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    236

    moderation in all things ... important

    Jeo has agreed to hand full and exclusive admin and moderating rights to myself and Kevin Bonham, and to allow posting according to the familiar rules of the old ACF board on this site, without any restriction to particular areas. He and Gandalf will not moderate or admin here any more.

    A requirement of the new situation is that all posters agree to indemnify ChessKit, the ACF, the admins and moderators and any other concerned parties for the full cost of any legal action caused by illegal posts made by them. This means that if you make an illegal (eg defamatory) post and someone else is sued for it (eg me), you agree to cover all costs.

    This is a very generous move by Jeo and I thank him. It gives access to a very fast, very functional board for robust but reasonable discussion of Australian chess and other matters.

    There has of course been a vigorous debate about the future of the bulletin board in recent days, and I suspect that will continue. But notwithstanding my suggestions of earlier today, I think this is a very significant offer which should be looked at favourably.
    _________________
    cheers - paulb
    cheers - paulb

  2. #2
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,325
    *applause to Paul and Jeo*

    (I had nothing to do with this one)

    This is a promising breakthrough indeed - that removes the issue of conflicting moderation standards in different parts of the board. Assuming this holds, the case in favour of staying is much stronger.

    Private ownership and culture clash with CK juniors may still be an issue but I was more concerned about the possible conflict from having bits of the board under different rules.

    Paul, we may want to have a chat offline about how (if at all) we want to change standards compared to the old BB. Send me a PM or email if you have any thoughts on this.

    Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.

  3. #3
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,054
    I agree.

    Well done Paul and Jeo. =D>

  4. #4
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,325
    I propose that we either remove, or otherwise indicate as out of date, all the several previous moderation notices that have been rendered redundant by this latest development. This will avoid confusion for new posters.

    All those with strong opinions against this, or strong opinions for one of remove/indicate as out of date, please speak within the next day or so.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,308
    Kevin, i will admit that i dont understand what your previous post means, can you explain further please?

  6. #6
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,054
    There are a couple of places on the board where the moderation policy is decribed under announcements or moderation policy as it was prior to Paul's announcement above.

    As such this could lead to confusion for people reading the old announcements.

    Kevin is therefore suggesting they either be deleted or marked as out of date.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  7. #7
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,325
    Sorry for explaining myself poorly. Bill's right - there is a long post up by Jeo explaining how we would run the board split into two halves, and there is one up by me outlining a rather strict policy on swearing. These are now out of date, so they will be confusing to new members. I was proposing to either put an "out of date" comment on them or else delete them. Maybe the first is best as they are still part of the site's history, I don't know.

  8. #8
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    DO NOT delete. It is "history" and should be preserved. Just mark them as OUT OF DATE - [Link]

  9. #9
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,054
    Its been up less than 2 days with 70 odd views.

    I suggest its deleted so as not to cause confusion and for the simple reason that way I'm not agreeing with Sweeney.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  10. #10
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    It should be easy to preserve them by moving them all to a new thread called "***Obsoleted moderation posts***" or some such. That way they should not confuse newbies but can be found by oldbies if needs be.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.
    I certainly did benefit. Much experience gained.

  12. #12
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    I certainly did benefit. Much experience gained.
    Like sharing a cell with a lifer who likes the colour of your eyes.

  13. #13
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    I certainly did benefit. Much experience gained.
    Like sharing a cell with a lifer who likes the colour of your eyes.
    Yet another fine demonstration of your class.

  14. #14
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: moderation in all things ... important

    Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Jeo has agreed to hand full and exclusive admin and moderating rights to myself and Kevin Bonham, and to allow posting according to the familiar rules of the old ACF board on this site, without any restriction to particular areas. He and Gandalf will not moderate or admin here any more.

    A requirement of the new situation is that all posters agree to indemnify ChessKit, the ACF, the admins and moderators and any other concerned parties for the full cost of any legal action caused by illegal posts made by them. This means that if you make an illegal (eg defamatory) post and someone else is sued for it (eg me), you agree to cover all costs.

    This is a very generous move by Jeo and I thank him. It gives access to a very fast, very functional board for robust but reasonable discussion of Australian chess and other matters.

    There has of course been a vigorous debate about the future of the bulletin board in recent days, and I suspect that will continue. But notwithstanding my suggestions of earlier today, I think this is a very significant offer which should be looked at favourably.
    _________________
    cheers - paulb
    WOW

    What a wonderful agreement between Paul and Kartick. This is a very fine outcome, and you both should be very proud for your efforts. Welll done indeed

    That was a very magnimonious guesture by Jeo. This is indeed a very significant guesture, and I hope others in this BB respond in kind by now agreeing to stay in this very functional new BB - rather than have 2 boards.

    Paul's policy of making it a term of agreement for posting , to indemnify the ACF and Chesskit for defamatory posts is a inspired choice. This addresses the main arguement for having 2 boards, and also addresses the concerns raised by Bill about the chess kit moderators.

    Well done. Australian chess is well served by you'll
    Always do your Best

  15. #15
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.
    I certainly did benefit. Much experience gained.
    Thank you for your very magnimonious guesture
    Always do your Best

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Openings Vs Endgames: Which is more important to learn?
    By ToeAndno in forum Chess Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
  2. moderation style changes
    By Garvinator in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 27-02-2004, 12:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •