Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actca Agm

CC FIDE Master

Actca Agm

I've got to say that I was extremely disapointed by many of the results of the recent ACTCA AGM. It stuns me to see the lack of forward thinking by many in my home town. (Many Canberreans would say that this is a bit rich, seeing I haven't lived in Canberra for six years, but I still know heaps about ACT chess).

Firstly I want to congratulate Mos on becoming ACTCA president. It's good to see 2 people fighting, wanting to do the job. Though I must say I am dissapointed that Shuan didn't get the nod, I wish Mos the best of luck.

The one thing I dislike about it though that it was a 'secret ballot'. These are incredibly gutless. People say one thing to someone's face and then vote another way. I believe in putting your paw up in the air and having enough guts to vote one way or the other.

Other prosposals that completely stunned me where as follows. The decision not to have the ACT Championship run as an alternate Swiss/Round Robin. I don't get it. As a young junior playing in the Reserves, I wanted to be able to play in the top event, it was special. You earnt the right to play. Entry for most players was through qualifying by being a Club Champ, Jnr Champ, Last years winner, Last Reserves winner and the last couple went to the highest rated non championship players.

There were a few whinges who were about 1700 who would alway miss out, and they cried when they didn't get in. Boo Hoo... The last time it was played in this format was in 1997 at Canberra CC. Andre Bliznyuk didn't qualify for the Champs, and though was clearly good enough happily played and slaughtered the Reserves. He scored 8/9 1.5 points clear of =2nd who included Simon Ayling who beat him in last round!

The decision not to FIDE rate the ACT Championship is just stupid. With the exception of Doeberl Cup there are no FIDE rated events in Canberra. This astonishes and dispoints me. There are heaps of smart enough people, and tons of FIDE rated players, it's not hard to run a 10 player FIDE`Rated RR. Geeze I did it! To be fair Shuan did try for a while to get one up and running at Belconnen but ran into stupdity from an old stalwart. Why can't Belco do something now?? Can the JCL Fide rate the ACT Jnr?? (Assuming the Time limit is OK....)

The only good thing to come out of the meeting was a propsal was scraped that would have made all ex-ACTCA`presidents life members. Assuming that included Acting presidents that would have included me! Me an ACTCA life member... LOL...

Come on Canberra, there's some great chess, and some tops minds down there, I just don't get the stupidity!

On a different topic I have asked Bill to remove my name from the ACT ratings list. My idea of keeping it there all these years was that after uni I would move back to Canberra for good. I've just moved to Melbourne and will be here until at least X'mas so I'll be a Mexican soon. This will please Shuan and Ian who have wanted it for years...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberaci
    I've got to say that I was extremely disapointed by many of the results of the recent ACTCA AGM. It stuns me to see the lack of forward thinking by many in my home town. (Many Canberreans would say that this is a bit rich, seeing I haven't lived in Canberra for six years, but I still know heaps about ACT chess).

Firstly I want to congratulate Mos on becoming ACTCA president. It's good to see 2 people fighting, wanting to do the job. Though I must say I am dissapointed that Shuan didn't get the nod, I wish Mos the best of luck.

The one thing I dislike about it though that it was a 'secret ballot'. These are incredibly gutless. People say one thing to someone's face and then vote another way. I believe in putting your paw up in the air and having enough guts to vote one way or the other.

Other prosposals that completely stunned me where as follows. The decision not to have the ACT Championship run as an alternate Swiss/Round Robin. I don't get it. As a young junior playing in the Reserves, I wanted to be able to play in the top event, it was special. You earnt the right to play. Entry for most players was through qualifying by being a Club Champ, Jnr Champ, Last years winner, Last Reserves winner and the last couple went to the highest rated non championship players.

There were a few whinges who were about 1700 who would alway miss out, and they cried when they didn't get in. Boo Hoo... The last time it was played in this format was in 1997 at Canberra CC. Andre Bliznyuk didn't qualify for the Champs, and though was clearly good enough happily played and slaughtered the Reserves. He scored 8/9 1.5 points clear of =2nd who included Simon Ayling who beat him in last round!

The decision not to FIDE rate the ACT Championship is just stupid. With the exception of Doeberl Cup there are no FIDE rated events in Canberra. This astonishes and dispoints me. There are heaps of smart enough people, and tons of FIDE rated players, it's not hard to run a 10 player FIDE`Rated RR. Geeze I did it! To be fair Shuan did try for a while to get one up and running at Belconnen but ran into stupdity from an old stalwart. Why can't Belco do something now?? Can the JCL Fide rate the ACT Jnr?? (Assuming the Time limit is OK....)

The only good thing to come out of the meeting was a propsal was scraped that would have made all ex-ACTCA`presidents life members. Assuming that included Acting presidents that would have included me! Me an ACTCA life member... LOL...

Come on Canberra, there's some great chess, and some tops minds down there, I just don't get the stupidity!

On a different topic I have asked Bill to remove my name from the ACT ratings list. My idea of keeping it there all these years was that after uni I would move back to Canberra for good. I've just moved to Melbourne and will be here until at least X'mas so I'll be a Mexican soon. This will please Shuan and Ian who have wanted it for years...

Liberace a Mexican. That is a crime punishable by constant abuse on the BB at the least and by much worse

On the serious side I cannot understand the attitude of those who voted not to FIDE rate the ACT Championship, in the preocess overturning an ACTCA Committee decision to do so. But I do understand that Belconnen CC is to FIDE rate the Belconnen Premier as the meeting had no power to overturn that decision.

The format of the ACT championship has always been a matter of contention, three different formulae having been used in the last 10 years. The Open Swiss seems to have the fewest critics and that may be the reason for its continued adoption. Restricted entry tournaments in such a close-knit chess community have always seemed to me open to criticism, especially too as they would exclude many juniors every second year and juniors are the backbone of ACT chess at present as far as numbers go. (You could let every adult, who wanted to play, enter and be pushing to get an entry of over 20 depending on venue.)

DJ

CC FIDE Master

Actca Agm

I didn't realise Belco have a FIDE rated event. Well done... More could be done though...

As for abuse: You wouldn't do that presidente, would you??
    Last edited by Thunderspirit; 08-04-2005 at 09:26 PM.
    Lee Forace

CC FIDE Master

The strangest thing about this decision was the major objection seemed to be how players qualified for a Round Robin championship. After a purely objective method was presented which dealt with the complaints of the people at the meeting the objection then shifted to the fact the the ACTCA committee could change the qualification regulations at some later date. What was truly bizarre was that the 3 people who complained most about this happening were the newly elected president, the re-elected vice-president, and the re-elected secretary. Maybe they thought there was another ACTCA committee making decisions behind their backs?

This was a decision taken at the end of the meeting and was motivated mainly out of self interest by some players who either had FIDE ratings and didn't want to lose points to up and coming juniors, or in the case of Mr X, didn't want to get a FIDE rating in such a tournament in case it didn't match what he felt was his level of ability as a chess player (The figure of 2200 was mentioned).
    Of course the decison to run the championship as a swiss meant, at least to me, that FIDE rating the event was fairly pointless and consequently I was one who voted for the motion (In fact I seconded it).

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    ...or in the case of Mr X, didn't want to get a FIDE rating in such a tournament in case it didn't match what he felt was his level of ability as a chess player (The figure of 2200 was mentioned).
    You have 2200 players in Canberra??

(sorry, that was uncalled for )

CC FIDE Master

2200 Canberra Players

There are two players that I can think of over 2200 FIDE. The first is FM Tristan Reeves who has long retired and Andre Bliznyuk who may also be a CM.
    Lee Forace

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    You have 2200 players in Canberra??
    Not by any *objective* measure, but that doesn't stop some people dreaming that they are.

It is easy to call 'secret ballots' gutless, but open ballots have problems of their own in that the official that is elected in an open ballot may well hold a grude against those members who did not voter for them.

Yes, you will show up as a Mexican on the June 2005 list.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 08-04-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    On the serious side I cannot understand the attitude of those who voted not to FIDE rate the ACT Championship, in the preocess overturning an ACTCA Committee decision to do so. But I do understand that Belconnen CC is to FIDE rate the Belconnen Premier as the meeting had no power to overturn that decision.
    I'm not so sure that the ACTCA could not block the FIDE rating of the Belconnen event.

Given FIDE only accept events submitted for rating by member Federations, then that means it must be submtted via the ACF and with the ACF's approval.
    Since the ACTCA is a member of the ACF and not Belconnen, then surely if the ACTCA opposed the FIDE rating of the event then the ACF would not submit it for FIDE rating.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 08-04-2005 at 11:39 PM.

Can the JCL Fide rate the ACT Jnr?? (Assuming the Time limit is OK....)
    Without disagreeing with you on everything Lee, I would be wary of criticising decisions made at meetings where you are not in attendance.

The JCL has talked about a FIDE rated event. At the moment we are stuck in a position where our better juniors just don't play junior events. I accept players move onwards and upwards but I also think in Canberra (being a geographically small location with one Club in a very dominant - player - position) our players are meeting the same field at every location. Our junior events attract a very similar field to the Belconnen Chess Club with the adults removed. There's no excitement in playing the same guy on Saturday that you just played on Friday night and probably played in last month's tournament as well.

We've asked the kids themselves for some feedback. We certainly have a number who don't want to risk their "normal" rating by playing our up-and-comers already. I'd be very suprised if those same players would want to share their FIDE points around if we couldn't attract a significant out-of-town field to bolster it.

So we'd consider it but it takes player support - as do many things in chess. Can't think how I ever coped playing a softball carnival if there were good pitchers on the other teams - my batting average used to take a hammering.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    Without disagreeing with you on everything Lee, I would be wary of criticising decisions made at meetings where you are not in attendance.

The JCL has talked about a FIDE rated event. At the moment we are stuck in a position where our better juniors just don't play junior events. I accept players move onwards and upwards but I also think in Canberra (being a geographically small location with one Club in a very dominant - player - position) our players are meeting the same field at every location. Our junior events attract a very similar field to the Belconnen Chess Club with the adults removed. There's no excitement in playing the same guy on Saturday that you just played on Friday night and probably played in last month's tournament as well.

We've asked the kids themselves for some feedback. We certainly have a number who don't want to risk their "normal" rating by playing our up-and-comers already. I'd be very suprised if those same players would want to share their FIDE points around if we couldn't attract a significant out-of-town field to bolster it.

So we'd consider it but it takes player support - as do many things in chess. Can't think how I ever coped playing a softball carnival if there were good pitchers on the other teams - my batting average used to take a hammering.
    Have to agree with a lot of what you have said. Firstly it is a little dodgy to be critical of decisions made at a meeting where I didn't attend.

The 'fishbowl' problem is impossible to break in Canberra. I was talking to Ian Rout once who said he played Milan Grcic 18 times in one year. There were all the club events and 5 weekenders I think. My suggestion wasn't to create another event in jnr chess, just make the ACT juniors FIDE rated. Give the kids a good time limit, and hopefully the quality of the chess will improve.
    The same limit wouldn't be used for supporting events. The admin work would increase a bit, but its managable.

As for the "I'm too scared to loose my rating points" that's a cop out by the kids. A recent ex NSW jnr and a mate of mine was not considering play a weekender because of the under rated kids in the event. Charles convinced him to play as once he was a little demon eating up points, and if you take that attidute, you'd never play...
    Last edited by Thunderspirit; 09-04-2005 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo
    Lee Forace

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    It is easy to call 'secret ballots' gutless, but open ballots have problems of their own in that the official that is elected in an open ballot may well hold a grude against those members who did not voter for them.

Yes, you will show up as a Mexican on the June 2005 list.
    That's a cop out (not that it is a personal attack on you though). A friend once told me that "the man that walks in the middle of road cops crap from both sides..."

Anyone for Tacos??
    Last edited by Thunderspirit; 09-04-2005 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typo
    Lee Forace

CC FIDE Master

FIDE ratings..

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Not by any *objective* measure, but that doesn't stop some people dreaming that they are.
    Ok Shuan,
    You're a good player and heaps better than me, but Tristan dominated ACT Chess in the late 1990's and proved he was the territory's best local home grown talent. He no longer plays, that's a shame though I can understand why. And do you forget Andre went a period in Canberra where he practically lost to no-one for a couple of years, until the Russian School boy had worn off, and he learnt some bad habits..

Mr 2100... you're not quite there yet!
    Lee Forace

I didn't realise Belco have a FIDE rated event. Well done... More could be done though...

I'm not sure we do. We were planning to FIDE rate the Premier, but have had objections from some players. I did a little survey last night, but haven't asked all the players involved as yet. It seems to be going towards a no vote, but is very close. The problem is some players are saying they won't play if it is FIDE rated. So do you FIDE rate it and have a weaker tournament, or don't and have everyone play. If you give into the "I'm going to take my bat and ball brigade" are you givng into blackmail, or being receptive to the wishes of the players. These things are never easy and a vote by likely players seems the fairest thing.

Incidentally the upstart juniors were soundly whacked by the adults last night in adults vs juniors match. Will put a report and results up, once I have finished working out who has paid what accommodation money for the world Youth.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I'm not sure we do. We were planning to FIDE rate the Premier, but have had objections from some players. I did a little survey last night, but haven't asked all the players involved as yet. It seems to be going towards a no vote, but is very close. The problem is some players are saying they won't play if it is FIDE rated. So do you FIDE rate it and have a weaker tournament, or don't and have everyone play. If you give into the "I'm going to take my bat and ball brigade" are you givng into blackmail, or being receptive to the wishes of the players. These things are never easy and a vote by likely players seems the fairest thing.
    It's a pretty astonishing attitude, really. Australian FIDE ratings are pretty inaccurate at the lower levels (especially below 2200), and this sort of attitude seems determined to keep it that way. Lets all just put in one or two good performances in FIDE events, get that 2100 rating (or whatever) and then never play a FIDE event again to keep it that way.

Thread Information