Upcoming Tournament:

Anzac Day Weekender: a 7 round Swiss 23rd – 25th April
    7 Round Swiss
    Time Control: 60 minutes + 30 seconds\move
    Saturday 23rd April: Entries close: 2.00pm; Round 1: 3.00 pm; Round 2: 7 pm
    Sunday 24th April: Round 3: 11.00 am; Round 4: 3.00 pm; Round 5: 7.00 pm
    Monday 25th April: Round 6: 11.00 am; Round 7: 3.00 pm & then prizegiving
    Entry fee: $50 full, $40 concession, less $5 MCC Members

I have heard posters on here say that playing mcc comps are more expensive than elsewhere, something like that anyways, but I see from this tournament information that the entry fees are pretty much the same as elsewhere.

Am I missing something?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I have heard posters on here say that playing mcc comps are more expensive than elsewhere, something like that anyways, but I see from this tournament information that the entry fees are pretty much the same as elsewhere.

Am I missing something?
    I thought what was said was that club membership at Melbourne Chess Club is more expensive than elsewhere. Don't remember anything particularly on tourny entries (but I might have missed it).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I thought what was said was that club membership at Melbourne Chess Club is more expensive than elsewhere. Don't remember anything particularly on tourny entries (but I might have missed it).
    as i said i wasnt sure, just wanted to know if what i remembered was correct or not.

Account Permanently Banned

Am I missing something?
    hi gg''

I must admit that I raised an eyebrow when I saw the cost of the NSW OPEN advertised a day or so back. But I guess that is a title event.

I don't recall seeing a comparative analysis of sample events posted here before. Sounds like a good metric task for someone.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I don't recall seeing a comparative analysis of sample events posted here before. Sounds like a good metric task for someone.

starter
    well you are the king of metrics and it would be something that i would be interested in.

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Prize Money

Guaranteed 1st $300 on behalf of MCC; other prizes will be proportional to entries,
    for and on behalf of the MCC

CC FIDE Master

Am I missing something?
    I've said something similar to that. I can't speak for anyone else that may have, but I can speak for myself.

What I've said:

MCC membership is more expensive (about double what I pay at Box Hill, from memory, and those are the only two clubs that are remotely accessible to me).

MCC tournament entry is more expensive. That is, significantly more expensive per game than the tournaments I play in at Box Hill.

That said, MCC is not out of line with the pricing on other weekender tournaments. But I don't play in those either. I can't afford it, and they aren't value for money (for me). The only ones I've played in so far are the Mt Buller and Doeberl Minors. Both of which I felt I had a reasonable chance of doing well in. I ultimately went to Buller because I thought I was likely to win enough to pay for most, if not all, of my costs (in the end I won exactly what it cost me, down almost to the dollar), and because I thought I might not get another opportunity at a "Minor" tournament like that. I went to Doeberl because I'd had fun at Buller, and the prospect of a Minor with 70+ participants was very exciting.

What I haven't said:

MCC doesn't provide value for money. An MCC membership can provide you with an enormous amount of chess, especially if you like social blitz. I just can't afford it, regardless of how much value I might get out of it.
    we have between us the barrier of a common language

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    MCC tournament entry is more expensive. That is, significantly more expensive per game than the tournaments I play in at Box Hill.
    Cost per game doesn't mean much. How does it compare when you look at prize funds?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Cost per game doesn't mean much. How does it compare when you look at prize funds?
    I think Recherche's way of looking at value for money is a good way for the average person to look at it. The reason being is that they are not looking at how much money they can make from the tournament, but what value (financial ie cost per game) and standard of opposition they are going to have an opportunity to play.

I will be interested in Rob's reply.
    But essentially, BH must come out on the wrong side of the %_equation.
    A Tuesday event over 6 nights (as a SWISS) typically has an entry fee of $15. Of that, $5 goes to rating fees, another $5 covers overheads, and the remaining $5 is prizes. So the bottom line % is 33% distribution.
    Notice that if the entry fee was $20 then we would be distributing 50%.

starter

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Hello,

I present a mini play.

Chessplayer (selfus focus)
    Organiser (slavus bitternus)
    Strong Chessplayer (competitivus dominus)
    Elite Official (taxemus Maximus)

picture a group of people gathering together 15 minutes before a chess tournament in the middle of nowhere on the other side of somewhere

(Selfus focus): Good evening Bitternus, I was thinking of playing in your tournament

(Slavus bitternus): Hello Focus, thats great news, we havent seen you around here for quite a while.

(Selfus focus): Whats the prize money?

(Slavus bitternus) $300 guaranteed

(Selfus focus) Thats a bit low, I thought it would be $500, more in line with the Welshie district.

(Slavus bitternus) Well we only had twenty players last year, so we really need to balance the books

(Selfus focus) hmmmm, (shows disgust)....well whats the entry fee then?

(Slavus bitternus) $30

(Selfus focus) $30!! thats outrageous!...in the cordless district, entry is only $15

(Slavus bitternus) Yes but they don't pay a rating fee there do they?

(Selfus focus) Thats true they don't

(Slavus bitternus) Nor do they give out cash prizes

(Selfus focus) Well Im not playing for first prize am I,so i don't care, afterall I presume dominus is playing?

(Slavus bitternus) Yes he is a confirmed entry, here he is now

(Competitivus dominus) (enters the room) Greetings everyone, focus, how are you? hows the antique business going?, long time no see, it must be two years since we last played?

(Selfus focus) Yes two years, you swindled me two pawns down in the bishop of opposite color ending, remember?

(Competitivus dominus) How could I forget, I almost had a lost position at one point in the game.

(Selfus focus) I was winning the whole way into I blundered

(Competitivus dominus) If you recall I won the analysis aswell.

(Selfus focus) (leaves in a huff)

(Slavus bitternus) How are you dominus?

(Competitivus dominus) great bitternus, yourself? When are you going to play chess again?

(Slavus bitternus) Im ok Dominus, just a bit tired, no time for chess.

(Competitivus dominus) Chear up old chap, its a beautiful day, you really ought to make some time for chess, it helps balance your life.

(Slavus bitternus) Yes.. I really would like to play...but someone has to do this

(Competitivus dominus) There you are, your already thinking more positive!, by the way is Grandmasterus superdominatis playing?

(Selfus focus) (re-joins the conversation)

(Slavus bitternus) Yes, he is dominus

(Competitivus dominus) Great it will be nice to play for the competition instead of the money and the conditions are great.

(Slavus bitternus) Yes it should be a good tourney, we have an unknown from antarticamus playing with a huge Fodder rating!

(Competitivus dominus) Where is he?

(Slavus bitternus) Over there in the corner playing blitz

(Competitvus dominus) I think I will go and watch a liitle bit (dominus blends in with the gallery watching the blitz players)

(Selfus focus) I see I am paired in the top half, why is that?

(Slavus bitternus) The imperial authority gave you 150 points for not playing

(Selfus focus) Jeeez..... but I thought I would be in the bottom half and a certainty for the rating prize

(Slavus bitternus) Hey I don't make the rules, they did it to everyone

(Selfus focus) Well on 2nd thoughts I want to withdraw, give me my money back!, such a crappy tournament, I have better things to do.

(Slavus bitternus) sigh (hands over the money)

4 days later the phone rings as slavus maximus finishes the crosstable for the umbi bumbi dumbi open.

(Slavus bitternus) Umbi bumbi dumbi chess club- Maximus speaking

(Taxemus maximus) How many players bitternus?

(Slavus bitternus) 42

(Taxemus maximus) Not a bad turn out Bitternus, make sure you make the $430 credits payable to the Imperial alliance by last Monday, otherwise you will risk being disaffilliated (phone disconnects)

(Slavus bitternus) sigh

Cheers Fg7

Very humourous firegoat7

But aren't you worried that you may have diverted the thread off-topic?

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Very humourous firegoat7

But aren't you worried that you may have diverted the thread off-topic?

starter
    i actually thought it was a rather true but depressing account of a conversation that could happen quite often, if chess people spoke that amount of times together

CC FIDE Master
    Cost per game means everything, as far as I'm concerned. I play chess tournaments assuming I won't be winning any money. I'd play in a tournament without prizes. In fact my ideal tournament would be one without prizes that simply charged enough to cover ratings fees and other costs. Unfortunately I suspect it might not be too popular. Prizes seem very deeply ingrained into the psyche of chess players, even the ones who hardly ever (or even never) win any.

As for prize funds, I don't really know. I've always been very happy with the prizes I've won at Box Hill, but any prize is a bonus from my point of view, so I may not be the best judge.
    we have between us the barrier of a common language

Thread Information