Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Have this mob gone bonkers?

    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2297

    They seem to have gone a wee bit too far. What say youse wise chesschatters?

    AR

  2. #2
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    I notice they have secured the services of Buster as the strong GM advisor. He may also be providing crowd control.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    I'd say look at the date.

  4. #4
    CC Candidate Master pballard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Have this mob gone bonkers?

    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2297

    They seem to have gone a wee bit too far. What say youse wise chesschatters?

    AR
    It's not an April Fool's joke. I've seen it discussed earlier.

    I think it's a great idea, although I don't like the details. Specifically, I don't like the idea of an arbiter determining if it's a draw or not. Also nothing about stalemate or the 50 move rule being draws. It looks like the rules were thrown together in a hurry.

    Better to have no draw offers before a certain move (say 60). I believe GM Maurice Ashley organised a tournament like this a while ago, and the results were encouraging.

    --
    Peter

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    It seems it isn't a joke (TWIC mentioned it before today). Interesting idea. It will be great to see if it works.

  6. #6
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    The participants have to play on until the arbiter says they can stop.
    The following mental picture is brought to my mind: Two grandmasters are on their knees begging the arbiter to let them agree to a draw: "please let us call it a draw and go to bed... we have been playing this bishops of opposite colours ending for the past 5 hours!" "No!", demands the arbiter, "you must keep playing!"

    Of course grandmasters could in effect "agree to draw" by deliberately repeating moves and claiming a draw by threefold repitition. One wonders if the threefold repetition rule would need to be modified to prevent such abuse.

    Otherwise, if this takes off, tournament bulletins of the future could be filled with games such as: 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ng1 Ng8 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Ng1 whereby black could claim a draw by signalling his intention of playing 4... Ng8 thereby satisfying the requirements of the draw by threefold repetition rule.

    PS as a footnonte, I find it ironic that the tournament is sponsored by a mobile phone company.
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 02-04-2005 at 06:01 PM.

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master pballard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Of course grandmasters could in effect "agree to draw" by deliberately repeating moves and claiming a draw by threefold repitition. One wonders if the threefold repetition rule would need to be modified to prevent such abuse.
    Maurice Ashley addresses this in his essay "The End of the Draw Offer?", which can be found at http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/ashley03.html
    He writes:

    "They could always create a game that ends in perpetual check or three move repetition. This is true, but I think the vast majority of players are more honorable than that. Almost all early draws are not due to prior agreement, but more out of convenience or fear of losing. If players were not allowed to have quick draws, they would simply erase this option from their minds and just play chess. "

    I suspect he is right. Time will tell.

  8. #8
    CC International Master JGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,120
    I can just imagine players before the game agreeing to a draw anyway... "Ok same precedure as the Pirc last year... this time the Lopez draw"

    PGN Viewer
     

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    How about playing that 12 (?) move stalemate?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  10. #10
    CC Candidate Master Javier Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia or Spain.
    Posts
    141
    PGN Viewer
     

    This amazing game is a stalemate in 10 moves! It was posted on the rec.games.chess.misc newsgroup by David Barr, who asked: “Does anyone know the story behind this game? A stalemate in 10 moves. From the bizarre moves made by both players at the Swedish Junior Championship 1995, it looks like they had all of the moves planned beforehand.”

    Now, these guys really worked hard for the draw!!
    Last edited by Javier Gil; 15-04-2005 at 01:51 PM.
    International Master and Professional Chess Coach.
    Website: http://www.chess.clinic
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/chessclinic

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Hey, senior Gil. Since you are reading here I will ask you here. Are you playing for a team in the NSW Teams Challenge?

    We can discuss in the Spanish Club on Liverpool St. Jug of sangria is on me.

    AR

  12. #12
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wynyard,Tas
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier Gil

    This amazing game is a stalemate in 10 moves! It was posted on the rec.games.chess.misc newsgroup by David Barr, who asked: “Does anyone know the story behind this game? A stalemate in 10 moves. From the bizarre moves made by both players at the Swedish Junior Championship 1995, it looks like they had all of the moves planned beforehand.”

    Now, these guys really worked hard for the draw!!
    There is some other information on composed short stalemates at item 3679 of Edward Winter's Chess Notes:

    http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/#...talemate_games

  13. #13
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey, senior Gil. Since you are reading here I will ask you here. Are you playing for a team in the NSW Teams Challenge?

    We can discuss in the Spanish Club on Liverpool St. Jug of sangria is on me.

    AR
    ar, will you be shouting drinks for the runners up if your team takes out the title?! it's only fair.

    what is the proposed name for this super-team?

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by the method man
    ar, will you be shouting drinks for the runners up if your team takes out the title?! it's only fair.

    what is the proposed name for this super-team?
    Well, we can always consider this I suppose. Do you have a team or you play for Koala?

    AR

  15. #15
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Well, we can always consider this I suppose. Do you have a team or you play for Koala?

    AR
    think brian will muster up a koala team...will be
    a good runout for some emerging talent.
    could be rooty hill team as well - not too sure.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •