Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blindfold Chess

Blindfold Chess

Just reading the CB news on Amber a few moments ago made me wonder. Has anyone here played blindfold? I reckon it'd be fun to have a mini tourn as part of a bigger event (say, Aus Open). It could be held during the trivia night and set at G15. Just for fun you know.

AR

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Just reading the CB news on Amber a few moments ago made me wonder. Has anyone here played blindfold? I reckon it'd be fun to have a mini tourn as part of a bigger event (say, Aus Open). It could be held during the trivia night and set at G15. Just for fun you know.
    I occasionally tried to play games against people without a board (both playing blindfold and without a reference board) never very successful though.

But I've seen alexmdc playing blindfold on FICS.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    I've played blindfold only twice (keeping me eyes closed throughout the whole game, so not even getting an empty board) but against novices, like with approximate ratings of 1000-1200 or something like that.

It is fun but I'm not sure I can do it in a 15min game and not make bad mistakes. I played without a clock, I reckon I took about 20 mins thinking time each game, and I played about 200-400 points lower than my real OTB strength. So playing blindold makes me play at about 1600-1800 (only my estimate). Basically I only miss a few small things, like an in-between move in a long combination.

I also had a look at the Amber reports on Chessbase and am surprised in one of the games a top GM hangs a queen (White playing Qg4 to exchange with the Black queen on h4 thinking there was a White pawn on h3 when it was instead on h2). I am also surprised in another incident a GM has a long think, then just before his time is about to run out, he plays a move, only to realise the computer rejects it as an illegal move, and so he frantically tries again but loses on time! But they do play a fairly quick time control, that makes it hard to remember the position.

Blindfold is possible online? I will try that tonight on FICS.

Oi Jason, weren't you running FR at SydUni?

AR

AR
    I've played blindfold while driving a carload of chess players to Ballarat. Quite a fun way to pass the time.

My eyes were open, I might add.

It's an interesting novelty idea. The problem is, compared to anything with a board:
    1. Each game needs an umpire
    2. You need a slower time limit (and I think you'd need an increment, because you can only move so fast blindfold).

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Blindfold is possible online? I will try that tonight on FICS.
    Check with amdc but I think you has a separate account set up for blindfold play. Then you can play against sighted opponents. They see the board and you don't is basically the way it works, I believe.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Jonathan Sarfati is coming to Croydon Chess next Saturday to run a blindfold simul. Does anyone happen to know what the record is for simultaneous blindfold games for an Australian player?

Jon has played up to 12 simultaneous blindfold games. I am trying to work out whether he would be the Australian record holder ...
    Last edited by Spiny Norman; 04-02-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Jonathan Sarfati is coming to Croydon Chess next Saturday to run a blindfold simul. Does anyone happen to know what the record for simultaneous blindfold games for an Australian player?

Jon has played up to 12 simultaneous blindfold games. I am trying to work out whether he would be the Australian record holder ...
    For Australia it could be the record. It is too far to be the world record though. After Alekhin had 30+ boards, there were a few more improvements but then people stopped trying to improve because it was found that it is incredibly dangerous for the health of a person who gives a simul. So I believe the last record 50+ was achieved by somebody who probably was only IM strength. The guy was diagnosed with incurable disease and was told that he has less than 1/2 a year. So, he decided to try. He lost huge number of kilos as a result. What was even more surprising his incurable disease got cured.

Nobody has tried to beat his record after that.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Jonathan Sarfati is coming to Croydon Chess next Saturday to run a blindfold simul. Does anyone happen to know what the record is for simultaneous blindfold games for an Australian player?

He uses prayer to cheat with God as his second.

CC FIDE Master

a tangent

I am convinced that there are some people who cannot play blindfold or simultaneous. I am one of them.

I might get over 2000 ELO someday from playing Fritz unleashed. But even then the first sentence will apply. I tried playing 2 people at once at a club. [ not blindfold] I got a headache.

I can only manage 10-15 moves into a game before I get lost ... ... and no smart comments about "How far do you get blindfolded?" please!
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC FIDE Master

the best was Pillsbury

In my view the best ever blindfold chess player was the 19th century master Harry Pillsbury. He played many people blindfold while reciting hands of whist.

For anyone down in Melbourne who is interested in attending next Saturday, here's the brochure. Feel free to print out a few copies and put out at your local club ... the more at the event the merrier!
    Attached Files Attached Files

No it isnt a record.

John Kellner has the Australian blindfold record of 17, established at Warbuton in 1973.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    No it isnt a record.
    John Kellner has the Australian blindfold record of 17, established at Warbuton in 1973.
    Thanks for that info Bill ... that's an impressive effort! Is that the Warburton that is just east of Melbourne, or somewhere else?

Thread Information