Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Rules of the Board

I understand there was the customary hoohah on the board today.

please note that the section marked "australian chess" is moderated by Kevin Bonham and myself, and the usual rules apply. If you wish to post elsewhere, the stricter rules of the other moderators apply. So don't post there unless you're prepared to follow the rules. Simple.

I've moved the relevant boards into the one section.

Jeo will consult with me if there is any action contemplated against an ACF person.

In the meantime, please calm down a bit. It's all a bit childish and the hissy-fits are interfering with my Christmas suntan regime.

Cheers - PaulB
    cheers - paulb

CC International Master

Re: Rules of the Board

Quote Originally Posted by paulb

please note that the section marked "australian chess" is moderated by Kevin Bonham and myself, and the usual rules apply. If you wish to post elsewhere, the stricter rules of the other moderators apply. So don't post there unless you're prepared to follow the rules. Simple.

Jeo will consult with me if there is any action contemplated against an ACF person.

In the meantime, please calm down a bit. It's all a bit childish and the hissy-fits are interfering with my Christmas suntan regime.

Cheers - PaulB
    1.I agree and accept this all. In fact throughout the threads, I have stated that the compromise brokered by Kevin and Jeo is very sensible, and having you and Kevin modertate teh 4 ACF forums, and be consulted on the suspension/explusion is the way to go

2. Are the other Chesskit Admins like Gandalf also going to follow the enlightened and sensible arrangement that Jeo has reached with us?

From my undertanding this was all going fine after the initial teething troubles, until Gandalf suspended matt. in direct vilation of what I thought was the agreed arangements
    Always do your Best

Why are we always asked to calm down (and even hints to apologise) when all we did was reacting to some very nasty and questionable actions from the other party?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Gandalf's powers are at rest for now, as are mine. The other two have just as much influence as admins, if not greater, though they do not have real admin features. I was about to give up, as you could detect from my posts, when one of them told me to give it another chance.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peanbrain
    Why are we always asked to calm down (and even hints to apologise) when all we did was reacting to some very nasty and questionable actions from the other party?
    to err is human...to forgive divine

every day is a new day with new beginnings
    Always do your Best

Re: Rules of the Board

Quote Originally Posted by paulb

Cheers - PaulB
    Understand this Paul.

YOU have a lot of unhappy BB users.

Suggesting we all calm down or suggesting they are hissy fits wont /dont help the situation.

CC Candidate Master
    Many people have overreacted and will eventually realise this. The "problems" that people cite are better solved - in fact, easily solved - by polite discussion, rather than by chucking a mental and indulging in personal attacks, which seems to have been the norm over the past few days. New Year's Eve hangover perhaps?
    cheers - paulb

I see one of the problems as being your casual dismissal of all this.
    People are complaining but you dont appear to be listening.

CC Candidate Master
    I'm very interested to see if there are insoluble problems, as opposed to temporary hitches and glitches. SO far all I see are the latter.
    cheers - paulb

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I have long-term concerns about the private nature of this board, the mixed moderation standards in different parts of it, and the culture clashes between the different sources of posters on it. Potential negative impacts of these include sudden loss of posts, confusion and discouragement to new junior members from the Chess Kit side, banning of our members if they (eg drunkenly) say the wrong thing in the wrong section by mistake, among others.

It is too early to say these will be problems. It is also too early to say they will not be.

The portents have been less than brilliant so far, although absolute collapse has in each case been averted.

There have been overreactions on all sides (including the odd one from me here and there) and I'm hopeful it will all blow over. It may not, though. Happy to give this a go and see what happens, but I'm rather nervous about it.

I really think the optimum solution would be a BB with these features, but truly independent of this site or at least its other forums.

If that involved paying Jeo something for his efforts in setting it up I wouldn't be opposed to that.

After all, what's the good of having a best post BB prize to encourage good posting if the way the BB is going has the opposite effect?

I also think it should be recognised that while many people did engage in abuse over what is going on, some also expressed their points intelligently and thoughtfully. I don't mean me here - I'm talking about many others. It hasn't all been childish, there are plenty of legitimate concerns in there.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    I am thinking of changing my handle here to "Nelson" as in Matthew Nelson Mandela Sweeney. It is entirely appropriate under the circumstances that everyone hold me in due reverence. This is the start of a beautiful new era where I say soothy sagey stuff and you all agree with a CL-esk fawning.

After yesterdays storm, I looked at the various attitudes of posters and saw that their reactions could not be characterised by just one parameter. Some of you may recall the "Political Compass". In the same way as thqat characterised peopl,e I propose that thier are two scale sat work here. They are the Go/Stay and the Kill-Them-All/SecondChance scales. For example.

Bill : Go/KTA
    Gandalf: Stay/KTA
    Jeo: Go/SC
    Nelson a.k.a. Matthew: Stay/SC

Another facet of yesterday was the number of peolple calling others over-reactors and to chill. This is not the whole story. The so called over reactors are an important part of the mix because they counteract the numerically greater under-reactors!

Finally, a brilliant idea. Why can't Chesskit run two BBs on its site? - ACF and ChessKit. They could run cheek by jowl - the Adults Only and the Junior's. People could use posted URL links inside this new bicameral forum so that they remained linked but seperated by the neccessity of being a member of both BBs.

What say Karthic and Gandalf?
    What say the ACF regulars?

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney

Finally, a brilliant idea. Why can't Chesskit run two BBs on its site? - ACF and ChessKit. They could run cheek by jowl - the Adults Only and the Junior's. People could use posted URL links inside this new bicameral forum so that they remained linked but seperated by the neccessity of being a member of both BBs.

hi Matt and his new persona (which looks a lot like the old neanderthal, but looking to the right)

Two BBs defeats the purpose of CK asking the ACF to join; which apparently was to bring the intellegence of the experienced ACF posters to the juniors and uninitiated on the CK board.
    CK need the wealth of experience developed by the ACF posters (even with their warts).

starter

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Free-ee-ee Matthew Sweeney
    24 hours in captivity
    he cannot post
    while chess lover runs free

So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by starter

hi Matt and his new persona (which looks a lot like the old neanderthal, but looking to the right)

Two BBs defeats the purpose of CK asking the ACF to join; which apparently was to bring the intellegence of the experienced ACF posters to the juniors and uninitiated on the CK board.
    CK need the wealth of experience developed by the ACF posters (even with their warts).

starter
    starter,
    It works both ways.
    So chesskit wanted us to add experience.
    Paul wanted new features.

Old old board was YAbb the new board is phpBB.
    Perhaps as Kevin says there is another road.

1) Restore the old ACF BB.
    2) Create a standard phpBB board run off the ACF site. If we need assistance in setting this us then the ACF could consider paying Jeo for his assistance.
    3) So that we get the additional features like fen/pgn we pay Jeo for the use of those features that he has developed that we want.
    4) His members that wanted to could join the new BB.

I am thinking of changing my handle here to "Nelson" as in Matthew Nelson Mandela Sweeney. It is entirely appropriate under the circumstances that everyone hold me in due reverence. This is the start of a beautiful new era where I say soothy sagey stuff and you all agree with a CL-esk fawning.

After yesterdays storm, I looked at the various attitudes of posters and saw that their reactions could not be characterised by just one parameter. Some of you may recall the "Political Compass". In the same way as thqat characterised peopl,e I propose that thier are two scale sat work here. They are the Go/Stay and the Kill-Them-All/SecondChance scales. For example.

Bill : Go/KTA
    Gandalf: Stay/KTA
    Jeo: Go/SC
    Nelson a.k.a. Matthew: Stay/SC

Another facet of yesterday was the number of peolple calling others over-reactors and to chill. This is not the whole story. The so called over reactors are an important part of the mix because they counteract the numerically greater under-reactors!

What say Karthic and Gandalf?
    Dont kid yourself, Nelson.

Mandela was in prision for well over 20 years, you were gone for less than 24 hrs.

Also you have this tendency to try and pigeon hole people hence your new matrix.

Its not as simple as go/stay and KTA/SC.

There are some who are neither go/stay but are undecided because they are not sure the benfits outweigh the disadvantages.
    Likewise there are others whose KTA/Sc is that they have major vconcerns that this same debacle wont re-occur.

Unfortunately Paul B does not seem to want to listen to those BB users who have asked that the old board be restored, but instead did his heels in.

Perhaps he is concerned that restoring the old board would been seen as a personal defeat on his part.

The fact is when you make a decision without consultation you always run such a risk.

Thread Information