Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned

C.O.M.M.O.N Man tourney and NSW Transfer championship.

Copied from another place

NSW Transfer Chess Championship
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N
    and
    NSW Open Transfer Chess Championship

100% of all entry fees paid back in prizes!

Commonman Weekender entry $40 ($20 for Health Card holders). Prizes: 1st and 2nd will be the same in 3 to 5 equally sized rating divisions, and pro rata 2 equally sized junior rating divisions. Juniors eligible for junior prises only. Estimate 1st places $120, 2nd places $80.

NSW Open Transfer entry $20 per team. Outright 1st wins Trophy + all non-Junior entry fees collected. Best performed Junior team (1st) wins all junior entry fees collected + Trophy. (This Championship is not currently a NSWCA recognised title - we live in hope.)

Commonman Weekender: 25/26 June 2005. Entries from 10 am. Half point bye available by arrangement. Games 60 min followed by 10 sec/move. Saturday R1 10:30, Lunch 12:30, R2 1:00, R3 3:15 (Transfer Open starts Saturday 7 pm) Sunday R4 10:00, Lunch 12:00, R5 1:00, R6 3:15, and an early finish ~5:30 and Free Beer! (or other drink)

NSW Open Transfer: Saturday evening 25th June 2005. ***Entries can only be made in person between 10:00 and 10:30 am.*** 7 round Swiss, start 7 pm, finish 9 pm.

Venue: Wollongong Collegians Club, Princes Highway Wollongong 30 minute drive from Sutherland, or 2.5 hours from Canberra.
    Accommodation less than $100 for 2 persons: Keiraview Accommodation 4229 9700, Downtown Motel 42298344, Sky Accommodation 4228 9320.

Info: Matthew Sweeney, 42299107, 0402407873, mhjs@bigpond.net.au, p098.*******.com/b**************

starter

As he notes his so called "NSW Open Transfer Chess Championship" is not recognised by the NSWCA and it is unlikely it will be.

For starters we would want any such event to be open to a far greater number of participants especially juniors and holding it in Wollongong at 7pm on a Saturday night does not meet that requirement.

If he or anyone else wanted to put a proposal to the NSWCA to run a NSW Transfer Championship in Sydney on a weekend during the day, I'm sure the NSWCA would seriously consider recognising such a title.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 29-03-2005 at 11:26 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    As he notes his so called "NSW Open Transfer Chess Championship" is not recognised by the NSWCA and it is unlikely it will be.

For starters we would want any such event to be open to a far greater number of participants especially juniors and holding it in Wollongong at 7pm on a Saturday night does not meet that requirement.

He he or anyone else wanted to put a proposal to the NSWCA to run a NSW Transfer Championship in Sydney on a weekend during the day, I'm sure the NSWCA would seriously consider recognising such a title.
    Who cares? It's just for fun. We already know the best Transfer players in NSW are Justin Tan and Neil Wright (Ron Scott also is strong) so I'm sure in this case no one really cares what the NSWCA thinks about it.. after all, you aren't called the NSWTCA.....
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Who cares? It's just for fun. We already know the best Transfer players in NSW are Justin Tan and Neil Wright (Ron Scott also is strong) so I'm sure in this case no one really cares what the NSWCA thinks about it.. after all, you aren't called the NSWTCA.....
    And you aren't running anything as an alternative ...

Anyway, we run a very successful fun transfer event in the ACT with ACTJCL. This year we've incorporated it into our "official" calendar as our end of year event. We allow adults to play in the event and have had a lot of success getting Dads to play with kids. Even if the Dads spend half the afternoon looking confused.

We thought transfer (incorporating many of the adults who work with us all year) made a great "break-up" event to end 2005 and plan to try an end of year presentation and informal "function" to follow with maybe some first-time annual awards etc. We always had such things in other sports I participated in. Seems a better place to look at awarding life memberships, clubman of the year and player of the year awards than at some AGM or low profile event.

Chess needs to be more social. Not that the games shouldn't be serious but I like the Adelaide Uni example of more "events" being built around our "events." I thought that was a big opportunity missed in Mt B (I know, I mentioned it again).

Who cares? It's just for fun.
    No one isnt saying it isnt for fun.
    However surely one criteria is that the widest range of players can participate. Holding it in Wollongong at 7pm on a Saturday night misses the mark.
    We already know the best Transfer players in NSW are Justin Tan and Neil Wright (Ron Scott also is strong)
    There is a big difference between knowing and proving. As such they need to prove it in actual competition.
    so I'm sure in this case no one really cares what the NSWCA thinks about it.. after all, you aren't called the NSWTCA.....
    We arent called the NSWLCA or the NSWRCA for lightning or rapid chess respectively but we are still responsible for those titles.
    Also the ACF now recognises the title of Australian Transfer Champion.
    As such it is entirely reasonable that the State associations should be responsible for recognising their respective State titles.
    After all we wouldnt want just anybody claiming to be a State or National champion just because someone used the states name or the word national in its title now would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    And you aren't running anything as an alternative ...
    That is not a valid reason why it cannot be criticised. Everyone knows that juniors love Transfer yet this event is being held at a time and a place that would seem to preclude the majority of them from participation.
    Anyway, we run a very successful fun transfer event in the ACT with ACTJCL.
    Actually I'd like to see the NSWCA do a similar thing with the NSWJCL.
    Chess needs to be more social. Not that the games shouldn't be serious but I like the Adelaide Uni example of more "events" being built around our "events." I thought that was a big opportunity missed in Mt B (I know, I mentioned it again).
    And dont think we didnt notice.

Bill, it is knowing and proving... log onto FICS (easily the world's premier site for bughouse/transfer). You will see 'tantheman' is currently ranked #1 in the world. I think that satisfies your 'criteria'.

Bill, it is knowing and proving... log onto FICS (easily the world's premier site for bughouse/transfer). You will see 'tantheman' is currently ranked #1 in the world. I think that satisfies your 'criteria'.
    I had heard that previously. However just because he is #1 in the world on FICS doesnt mean he would be #1 in a NSW event on the day.
    He may just have an off day.
    After all Kasparov has been rated world number 1 for nearly 20 years but he has lost tournaments to others during that time.

I had heard that previously. However just because he is #1 in the world on FICS doesnt mean he would be #1 in a NSW event on the day.
    also it is all well and good to be number 1 on fics, but are they number 1 on icc as well

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    also it is all well and good to be number 1 on fics, but are they number 1 on icc as well
    Ahahaha....

ICC is rabbit country when it comes to transfer. Me and another decent partner crushed two GM's partnered.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    For starters we would want any such event to be open to a far greater number of participants especially juniors and holding it in Wollongong...
    Be careful Bill. We are the NSW chess association, Not the Sydney Chess association. Events should be made available for other places to hold.... not that i'm saying that this event should be recognised by the NSWCA as being official.

at 7pm on a Saturday night does not meet that requirement.
    agreed. This is probably not optimal but i notice that he has cut his "common man" tournament down from seven to six rounds. Perhaps he is trying to do this Transfer tournament in place of a seventh round, thus trying to add an additional carrot to possible entrants.

He he or anyone else wanted to put a proposal to the NSWCA to run a NSW Transfer Championship in Sydney on a weekend during the day, I'm sure the NSWCA would seriously consider recognising such a title.
    Why does it have to be in Sydney?

To tell the truth i couln't really care about transfer. I suck at it!
    Last edited by Trent Parker; 29-03-2005 at 10:36 PM.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Be careful Bill. We are the NSW chess association, Not the Sydney Chess association. Events should be made available for other places to hold.... not that i'm saying that this event should be recognised by the NSWCA as being official.
    True, thats why we hold the Country Championship outside Sydney.
    However one consideration of holding a NSW ttile event is to do so in a place where you would have the greatest number of potential participants.
    agreed. This is probably not optimal but i notice that he has cut his "common man" tournament down from seven to six rounds. Perhaps he is trying to do this Transfer tournament in place of a seventh round, thus trying to add an additional carrot to possible entrants.
    Who knows. He probably just thought a transfer event would be a good idea and decided to tack it on to his Common Man event.
    Why does it have to be in Sydney?
    Because the majority of transfer players are juniors and the majority of juniors are in Sydney.

The point is if Matt really had wanted to run this with NSWCA recognition he should have approached the NSWCA first, not name his event then complain that the NSWCA doesnt recognise it.
    No doubt he named it as such because he knew it would not be recognised and thus would have another excuse to attack the NSWCA.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 29-03-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    However one consideration of holding a NSW ttile event is to do so in a place where you would have the greatest number of potential participants.
    One could suggest that the same argument could be made regarding the Australian Open.

Who knows. He probably just thought a transfer event would be a good idea and decided to tack it on to his Common Man event.
    Yes of course he is trying to encourage more players to the weekender. I doubt anyone would take it seriously and anyone who did would be laughed out of town by anyone with a clue.

I don't think it replacing a round in the CM though as I don't believe they have ever had evening rounds in that event. Matt must have secured a venue and was presented with the opportunity to run an evening round or a novelty event.

Some people travelling to and from the event from Sydney (and not staying locally) will probably opt out. Which makes me wonder how big the draw will be, since by making it a team event you are immediately cutting your number of entries in the draw by 2.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    One could suggest that the same argument could be made regarding the Australian Open.
    The circumstances there were different.

Yes of course he is trying to encourage more players to the weekender. I doubt anyone would take it seriously and anyone who did would be laughed out of town by anyone with a clue.
    Which is why his name wasnt the best choice. He could have called it the Common Man Transfer Championship.

I don't think it replacing a round in the CM though as I don't believe they have ever had evening rounds in that event. Matt must have secured a venue and was presented with the opportunity to run an evening round or a novelty event.

Some people travelling to and from the event from Sydney (and not staying locally) will probably opt out. Which makes me wonder how big the draw will be, since by making it a team event you are immediately cutting your number of entries in the draw by 2.
    Well the numbers at last years common man event was only 16 players, so I suppose anything that would help increase that has to be a positive.

However I think Libby and the ACTJCL have the right idea.
    Running a weekend event that caters for juniors but allows adult participation would seem the way to go.

CC FIDE Master

Political Correctness

Those who know me would agree when I say that I'm not usually politically correct, but the 'Common Man' doesn't encourage women and girls very much...

Seeing this at women's chess is an important issue, you'd think Matt would have more sense.

On the event itself: Have a transfer tournament fine, but don't try and make it into something special...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Thread Information