Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 110

Thread: My Top 40!

  1. #1
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758

    My Top 40!

    I've been on a RDO today (preparing/packing for the Doeberl!) and with a bit of spare time on my hands today, I thought I would try and come up with my all time top 40 songs!

    It's not a definitive list - there are bound to be songs that I have overlooked. And selecting 40 was a difficult enough task in itself, let alone trying to sort them out into order (ie try not to be too critical of me for the 1 to 40 order of them)!

    Nonetheless, feel free to agree or disagree with my selection! I have tried to be as objective (balanced) as possible, even though there is a bit of a bias towards the 70s and 60s in my selection (sorry guys and gals, but overall music was better then than in the 80s, 90s and 00s - although all eras have their share of good and bad songs - and I have included a reasonable selection of 80s, 90s and 00s songs in there)!

    It was a difficult task trying to narrow it down to 40 and I feel an "honourable mention" should be made of some of the songs that "just missed out"............Mama Mia - Abba, I'll Stand by You - The Pretenders, Piano Man - Billy Joel, Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell, Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones, Drops of Jupiter - Train, Changes - David Bowie, Under Pressure - David Bowie + Queen, Shaddap Your Face - Joe Dolce, Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor, How Bizarre - OMC, I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor, Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen, Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus, Dont' Go Breaking My Heart - ELton John + Kiki Dee, This Love - Maroon 5, Beautiful Day - U2, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2 and Union City Blue - Blondie.

    Anyway, refer to the next post for my "all time top 40"!!!..............

  2. #2
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758

    Paul S's Top 40!

    1) Dancing Queen by Abba
    2) Hey Jude by The Beatles
    3) Desperado by The Eagles
    4) Nights on Broadway by the Bee Gees
    5) Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel
    6) December 1963 (Oh What A Night) by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
    7) We Will Rock You by Queen
    8) Something In The Air by Thunderclap Newman
    9) Cracklin’ Rosie by Neil Diamond
    10) Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band
    11) Waterloo by Abba
    12) Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
    13) Born to be Alive by Patrick Hernandez
    14) (Remember the days of the) Old School Yard by Cat Stevens
    15) Daniel by Elton John
    16) Sweetest Thing by U2
    17) Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann (and his Earth Band)
    18) Hard Rock Café by Carole King
    19) A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
    20) My Happiness by Powderfinger
    21) All by Myself by Eric Carmen
    22) The Best Disco In Town by The Ritchie Family
    23) Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
    24) Tiny Dancer by Elton John
    25) Black or White by Michael Jackson
    26) Material Girl by Madonna
    27) Sailing by Rod Stewart
    28) Twist and Shout by The Beatles
    29) Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond
    30) Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley
    31) Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes
    32) Jive Talkin’ by The Bee Gees
    33) You’ll Never Walk Alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers
    34) You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Dusty Springfield
    35) Jump by Van Halen
    36) Island Home by Christine Anu
    37) Scar by Missy Higgins
    38) Ring Ring by Abba
    39) Tubthumping by Chumbuwamba
    40) Mickey by Toni Basil

  3. #3
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Looks like the Coma FM playlist.

    Best of luck on the weekend.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Looks like the Coma FM playlist.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Best of luck on the weekend.
    Last edited by Paul S; 24-03-2005 at 08:24 PM.

  5. #5
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    To be an all time top 40 you should try to not repeat any artists. You have too many ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees, Elton John and WAAAY too many Billy Joel songs.

    You have nothing by (for example) Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM, the list goes on and there are many giants who have been missed. Now perhaps not all of them will find a track into your top 40, but on reflection can't you find room for some decent music? I mean KC and the Sunshine Band and multiple Billy Joel songs. What were you thinking?

    Also perhaps you should vary the eras a bit. You have a couple of token efforts from post-1990, but it seems a pretty unrepresented 15 years compared to 1975-1990. Perhaps another way of tacking it would be top 5 songs from each time period 1965-69, 1970-74, 1975-79, etc. Still only one song per artist from the whole list and the end product might be more interesting.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    509

    Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    To be an all time top 40 you should try to not repeat any artists. You have too many ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees, Elton John and WAAAY too many Billy Joel songs.

    You have nothing by (for example) Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM, the list goes on and there are many giants who have been missed. Now perhaps not all of them will find a track into your top 40, but on reflection can't you find room for some decent music? I mean KC and the Sunshine Band and multiple Billy Joel songs. What were you thinking?

    Also perhaps you should vary the eras a bit. You have a couple of token efforts from post-1990, but it seems a pretty unrepresented 15 years compared to 1975-1990. Perhaps another way of tacking it would be top 5 songs from each time period 1965-69, 1970-74, 1975-79, etc. Still only one song per artist from the whole list and the end product might be more interesting.
    Rice, good selections but we are a different generation...
    Lee Forace

    Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

    It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

  7. #7
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberaci
    Rice, good selections but we are a different generation...
    Really good music crosses generations.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    What . . . no Nina Simone??

    AR

  9. #9
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    509

    Music crossing generations...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Really good music crosses generations.
    As an AC/DC fan I couldn't agree more. At the gig at Canberra the youngest was 6 years old! and the oldest was almost 80...
    Lee Forace

    Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

    It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

  10. #10
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    To be an all time top 40 you should try to not repeat any artists. You have too many ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees, Elton John and WAAAY too many Billy Joel songs.
    Not at all. Look at how many hit songs these artists have had! Each of them has had anywhere from 2 to 10 times the number of quality hits than each of the artists you mention (Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM). Why shouldn't an artist be entitled to more than one song in the "Top 40" if they have more than one song that is good enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    You have nothing by (for example) Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM, the list goes on and there are many giants who have been missed.
    Most of these artists are good and some of their songs would not be out of place in my top 40. However, there are only 40 places available in a top 40!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I mean KC and the Sunshine Band and multiple Billy Joel songs. What were you thinking?
    KC's Give It Up is a top song!

    Multiple Billy Joel songs in my top 40 you say? There is only one Billy Joel song there! Sounds like one Billy Joel song is one too many for you!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Also perhaps you should vary the eras a bit. You have a couple of token efforts from post-1990, but it seems a pretty unrepresented 15 years compared to 1975-1990. Perhaps another way of tacking it would be top 5 songs from each time period 1965-69, 1970-74, 1975-79, etc. Still only one song per artist from the whole list and the end product might be more interesting.
    Some eras are better than others when it comes to music. Sure there are some good songs out today, but there are also far too many covers these days for my liking. Also far too many rap songs which (barring the occasional exception) I don't care for. The quality of a song should be the determining factor in selecting songs for a Top 40 and not an era based quota system!

    OK, Barry, lets see your top 40!

    P.S. Barry, with hindsight I should have used a instead of a in my earlier post - sorry about that! I will fix it up now!
    Last edited by Paul S; 24-03-2005 at 08:39 PM.

  11. #11
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Not at all. Look at how many hit songs these artists have had! Each of them has had anywhere from 2 to 10 times the number of quality hits than each of the artists you mention (Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM). Why shouldn't an artist be entitled to more than one song in the "Top 40" if they have more than one song that is good enough?
    OK, maybe quantity is not the strong suit (although I think your argument breaks down with the likes of Clapton and Dylan) but most have had songs which are stand out anthems for a particular era. For example...
    (to pick 10 off the top of my head)

    Stairway to Heaven
    Brick in the Wall
    Layla
    Subterranian Homesick Blues
    Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
    Under the Bridge
    Take a Walk on the Wild Side
    Blister in the Sun
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings

    Are you saying every one of the songs in your top 40 are better these 10 songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Multiple Billy Joel songs in my top 40 you say? There is only one Billy Joel song there! Sounds like one Billy Joel song is one too many for you!?
    you noticed.

    Just to show I'm not prejudiced against Mr Joel, I would give Summer Highland Falls an honourable mention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    OK, Barry, lets see your top 40!
    OK, lets stick to pop (not my favourite gendre) and force a spread over years. My suggestion is to go to the ARIA End Of Year SINGLES charts (Top 50 or 100) and pick one song from each year. From al the charts available (1988-2004). No picking an artist more than once and then we can compare apples with apples.

    The ARIA end of year charts can be found here...

    http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-ch...ear-charts.htm

    My list is here. And I apologise in advance. I had no idea until I was part way through that there is so much crap in the ARIA charts. However, if you are a Black Eye Peas fan you should have no problems (for one song anyway).

    Here is my list...

    1988 Faith - George Michael
    1989 Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc
    1990 Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
    1991 The Fly - U2
    1992 Under the Bridge - Read Hot Chili Peppers
    1993 Everybody Hurts - REM
    1994 Asshole - Denis Leary
    1995 Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue
    1996 Wonderwall - Oasis
    1997 Freak - Silverchair
    1998 Redundant - Green Day
    1999 Weir - Killing Heidi
    2000 Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
    2001 Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
    2002 A Little Less Conversation - Elvis vs JXL
    2003 United States of Whatever - Liam Lynch
    2004 Hey Ya - Outkast (hey, it was a very lean year pop-wise)

    The gauntlet lies at your feet.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    OK, maybe quantity is not the strong suit (although I think your argument breaks down with the likes of Clapton and Dylan) but most have had songs which are stand out anthems for a particular era. For example...
    (to pick 10 off the top of my head)

    Stairway to Heaven
    Brick in the Wall
    Layla
    Subterranian Homesick Blues
    Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
    Under the Bridge
    Take a Walk on the Wild Side
    Blister in the Sun
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings

    Are you saying every one of the songs in your top 40 are better these 10 songs?
    I had overlooked some of these songs. Most of them would be in my "top 100" and 2 of them that I had previously overlooked (Brick In The Wall and Take a Walk on The Wild Side) I think I would probably include in a revised top 40 (although I'm not sure which two songs of my existing Top 40 would have to go)!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    OK, lets stick to pop (not my favourite gendre) and force a spread over years. My suggestion is to go to the ARIA End Of Year SINGLES charts (Top 50 or 100) and pick one song from each year. From al the charts available (1988-2004). No picking an artist more than once and then we can compare apples with apples.

    The ARIA end of year charts can be found here...

    http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-ch...ear-charts.htm

    My list is here. And I apologise in advance. I had no idea until I was part way through that there is so much crap in the ARIA charts. However, if you are a Black Eye Peas fan you should have no problems (for one song anyway).
    I accept your challenge! Yes, you are right, there certainly IS a lot of crap in there!!!

    Anyway, here is my list!

    1988 - Faith by George Michael (we agree!!!)
    1989 - Eternal Flame by The Bangles
    1990 - Hold On by Wilson Phillips
    1991 - Rhythm of My Heart by Rod Stewart
    1992 - Life Is A Highway by Tom Cochrane
    1993 - December 1963 (Oh What A Night) by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons (Note: this was a hit by them in 1976, but appeared at #14 in 1993 - looks like not much happened musically in 1993)!
    1994 - Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Sringsteen
    1995 - Gangstas Paradise by Coolio
    1996 - How Bizzare by OMC
    1997 - Tubthumping by Chumbuwamba
    1998 - Sweetest Thing by U2 (was surprised to see this here in 1998 at #55 - I had thought Sweetest Thing was released around 1990)
    1999 - Believe by Cher (best of a lean year for pop music!)
    2000 - Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus
    2001 - Drops of Jupiter by Train
    2002 - Get The Party Started by Pink
    2003 - Hey Ya by Outkast (quite a lean year - I had to dig up Hey Ya which was #61 on the 2003 list!)
    2004 - Scar by Missy Higgins

    Anyway, must be off now and get some sleep - big day tomorrow - I'm off to the Doeberl!
    Last edited by Paul S; 24-03-2005 at 10:38 PM.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,370
    i would say for top songs that part of the criteria is that the song changed the way music was seen or had a dramatic effect on the performers to come.

    I notice that both of you didnt include Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. No Thriller either by Michael Jackson and clearly the real slim shady didnt stand up for you.

    I am not sure I could come up with a list, but if asked by someone, ill give it ago.

    Having a few ABBA songs in the list I think is fair enough, considering even in this day and age a company was recently willing to pay 1 billion dollars to have them reunite to perform a television type concert.

    In my opinion, that would be a good deal for the tv company.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 25-03-2005 at 02:01 AM.

  14. #14
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Sorry Paul, couldn't accompany you on any long car trip (maybe not even a short one) where you have control of the CD player.

  15. #15
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I notice that both of you didnt include Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. No Thriller either by Michael Jackson and clearly the real slim shady didnt stand up for you.
    Bohemian Rhapsody is largely over-rated IMHO. It was a pop groups attempt at prog rock which by missing the mark entirely almost created a new gendre.

    I think Michael Jackson contribution to pop music is more in the area of choreography and video. He's songs are good without a doubt and very polished but it is their visual presentation which really sets them apart. The song Thriller is not his best but you will notice a Jacko cover made its way onto my list.

    Rap and hip hop was an area I didn't tackle at all in keeping with the pop theme. I do have some favourite songs in that area but as Paul didn't include any I suspect the closest thing to a rap song in his collection to be Blondie. There were a few Eminem tracks in the Top Singles charts but not many and none of real note. You will also notice classical music and several modern gendres not covered like electronic, metal and goth.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •