chmod -x /bin/chmod

Private Messaging

Hello,

To use private messaging, users need to be in the usergroup 'Member' which requires a minimum of 10 forum posts.

Users with a postcount under 10 will not be able to use the private messaging system.

CC FIDE Master

Message down grades

Up until today my account has been able to store up 100 messages, but I logged on today and it says I can now only have 50. Why the change??
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    It is an error. Fixed now.

CC FIDE Master

Bugger

Thanks for fixing it, but I deleted all my messages to make room...
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    An interesting rule.

Having been on various forums of wide and varied subject matters, my normal assumption when joining a forum would be that signing up for membership would be enough to enable me to use private messaging.

The major positive of the particular rule of this site is that it helps avoid members receiving spam from bots through private messaging (and also from flyby members intent only on promoting their own sites!).

However, does it also mean that a member with less than ten posts may have been sent private messages by members who are able to use the private message facility, but the receiver has been unaware of these messages because their private message box indicates that they have no new messages?

Alternatively, if a member with more than ten posts sends a private message to someone with less than ten posts, does the sender receive a notification indicating that the post count of the member they are trying to send the message to is insufficient, therefore their message will not be received?

This also raises the concern that people who have posted only a handful of times may deliberately make nonsense posts with the sole purpose to get their post count up to ten so that they can make use of the Private Messaging function.

Of course, one could argue further that forums that offer 'rewards' for members (by increasing their rankings) based on the quantity of their posts rather than their quality (as is the case in most Internet forums) also encourage unnecessary multiple postings.
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 24-03-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Wink

Of course, a common example of this is people who reply to their own posts every time they wish to add to their thoughts rather than simply using the edit button on their previous post.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Welcome to ChessChat,

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    However, does it also mean that a member with less than ten posts may have been sent private messages by members who are able to use the private message facility, but the receiver has been unaware of these messages because their private message box indicates that they have no new messages?
    Alternatively, if a member with more than ten posts sends a private message to someone with less than ten posts, does the sender receive a notification indicating that the post count of the member they are trying to send the message to is insufficient, therefore their message will not be received?
    I don't think so. If any party has private messaging feature disabled, then there is a notification. Example message:

"ElevatorEscapee has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

This also raises the concern that people who have posted only a handful of times may deliberately make nonsense posts with the sole purpose to get their post count up to ten so that they can make use of the Private Messaging function.
    Well, it obviously is just a barrier, it can be broken obviously, but it's just that little bit harder for spammers.

Most spammers will not bother, the only one that does bother has his URL banned on the post parsing system, so they appear as ****** and hence the link returns a 404 error.

Thank you Skip.

Any extra hurdle to deter spammers is most welcome (it only takes one spammer to cause a nuisance). I am glad that there is also a contingency in place for dealing with those who attempt to overcome the hurdle.

Out of curiousity, I clicked on the links to send a Private Message to you, just to see what message I would receive (for having less than 10 posts).

The following vbulletin message appeared:

ElevatorEscapee, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    This looks like a standard vbulletin message, and is rather generalized. Is it possible to easily edit these messages to provide more specific information relating to the rules of a particular forum (eg the 10 post private message restriction)? Or would that be likely to prove more trouble than it's worth.

Cheers :-)

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Well, not sure I have the time to look into that atm. Maybe in the future.

Heh, I reached the 10 posts, and I see what you mean about the spammer.

Heh, I reached the 10 posts, and I see what you mean about the spammer.
    Well I'm now getting to 10 so I might see what the problem is.

Look forward to the day when I can see any of this. One post to go.

Thread Information