View Poll Results: Who is the real Kevin Bonham?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pauline Hanson

1 7.14%
  • Margaret Thatcher

2 14.29%
  • Mother Theresa

2 14.29%
  • Eva Braun

1 7.14%
  • Eva Braun's Lover

1 7.14%
  • (option implying false claim about my sexuality removed - all those of you who voted for it are homophobes and should seek counselling immediately - KB)

4 28.57%
  • A symbot of all the above

1 7.14%
  • None of the above

2 14.29%
  • This poll is a joke as is its initiator

11 78.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kevin Bonham, stand up!

Kevin Bonham says we don't know the real him, we simply don't understand the really nice person he truely is! Well this is our chance to find out, do you know who he really is?
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

***post accidentally deleted***

[David - I accidentally replied to this post in edit mode when I thought I was quoting, and hence removed all the text except for the bit about the characters above supposedly representing aspects of my personality. Oops!

I can assure readers that the rest was nothing new.

Were it not for the fact that one of your claims falsely implied I was gay (that option now edited out) - I would apologise for my blunder, but given your homophobic trash I suggest we call it both a draw and poetic justice. If you post false claims about the sexuality of any other poster here you can expect a long suspension. - KB]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-03-2005 at 03:19 AM.
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    For a fair poll I think a deprecating option should also be included. That shortcoming has now been addressed.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Great Poll Dave,

I voted for Mother Thatcher.

I think Bon Bons personality is a mixture between Thatchers- "There is no society just individuals", A-social, narcisistic personality. Maggie, daughter of a petty bourgeoisie, with her pathetic individual philosophies really appears to be the correct choice.

However, it dawned on me that Bon Bon also has a puritan streak in him. So I opted for a synthesis between Mother Theresea and Maggie T.

In regards to Mother T, It is well known that this old bag, helped the poor and in doing so helped herself. Some have suggested that starvation was a better option for the poor she helped, arguing that being subjected to propaganda from the Catholic church was to higher price to pay then death.

I find Bonhams arguementitive style operates on the same agenda. You can have an opinion, but I will send you to the Bonham inquisitations if "I-Bon Bon" , rule that the discussion falls outside the boundaries of my moderation.

Thus I nominate his new name as Mother Bon Bon Thatcher. I will use this title in addressing him in the future.

Thanks Fg7

Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Kevin's behaviour has been outrageous!. They way he has treated myself, firegoat, noidea, libby, dion and anyone that dares stand up to him is deplorable. I may have reacted stridently, but from my previous exchanges with Kevin its the only way to deal with him. He has no respect for personal sensitivity.
    I'm not feeling grossly mistreated you know. I didn't feel attacked by Kevin although I don't think my "style" of posting is easy for him to translate as I often feel misunderstood

My opinion (for Kevin & others, the highlighting is important & intentional) -

Australian chess would be well served by a BB full of interesting debate not threads which degenerate rapidly into thinly veiled opportunities to work out personal animosities & grievances. Kevin (& others) should not read that as targeting them (unless the shoe fits) but as a general observation about the flaming that goes on in a lot of threads.

Now maybe it's because I'm a girl that I don't understand that what happens on the field, stays on the field (as in my hubby's footy opponents being able to flatten him or cast aspersions on his "squeeze" but everyone gets together for some backslapping & drinks afterwards). In my experience, girls who don't like you on the court, don't like you off it either. So maybe everyone blusters away here but works productively together (and plays together) in chess.

If you guys are happy with the tone of the BB, and my observations make no sense to you, and my cliche-ridden statements are unsupported by the quality of the debate, then so-be-it. This is me expressing an opinion of my own. Shoot it down in flames if you wish, I shan't bolt off and cry over it.

But when you get up in the morning and find someone has started a poll like this, you do wonder ...

Libby,
    I can fully understand your frustration with all this "men's business". Who would believe it was KB upsetting you and not me!!

Even before you said we should be more civil and classy I had already birthed the thread "Piano or Violin more important" Poll. You, ElevatorEscapee and myself know there is better and I guess it is our burden to enlighten the hoi polloi. Don't despair you are with friends.

I have already being ridiculed by one and sundry but you come and vote and show solidaritory. We may not be appreciated but we have each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    But when you get up in the morning and find someone has started a poll like this, you do wonder ...
    Actually if you started a poll like this we would wonder.
    The likes of DR, fg7 or A/C starting polls like this involves no wonderment whatsoever.

I wish to object to this practice of creating threads for the purpose of ad hominem attacks. It's quite low and cheap actually.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I wish to object to this practice of creating threads for the purpose of ad hominem attacks. It's quite low and cheap actually.

AR
    You hypocrite!!

You have just come from the classy "Piano or Violin" thread and put poop on us for being classy and high brow, now you come over here and put poop on them for being low and cheap. You can't have your cake and eat hopia as well!!

Your sins will find you out.

I can see this Sat is shaping up as a lively one. But I want to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    You hypocrite!!

You have just come from the classy "Piano or Violin" thread and put poop on us for being classy and high brow, now you come over here and put poop on them for being low and cheap. You can't have your cake and eat hopia as well!!
    FMD...good point.

AR

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    FMD...good point.
    Not really as in one case you were disagreeing on tastes in music, in this one you were making a moral point. The cultural cringe vs the fair go. No hypocrisy at all.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Not really as in one case you were disagreeing on tastes in music, in this one you were making a moral point. The cultural cringe vs the fair go. No hypocrisy at all.
    AR has already resigned the game and shook hands on it. No post mortems.

I prefer not to see threads like this one unless very funny to compensate for personal factor. But when attacking the music thread it was not only on bases of taste but also because of being bourgeoisie, i.e., of higher class than himself - could that be also a moral point. When attacking this thread for being low and cheap he is implying that it is of lower class than himself to do so.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Kevin Bonham says we don't know the real him, we simply don't understand the really nice person he truely is!
    Absolute rubbish. What I said was that you don't know the real me.

That you included a gay option in the list when you know that I am heterosexual and strongly opposed to homophobia makes me wonder whether you are a closet homophobe, and also shows you to have an arrested (or more probably, no) maturity. But that's nothing that we did not know already.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    Australian chess would be well served by a BB full of interesting debate not threads which degenerate rapidly into thinly veiled opportunities to work out personal animosities & grievances. Kevin (& others) should not read that as targeting them (unless the shoe fits) but as a general observation about the flaming that goes on in a lot of threads.
    My dissatisfaction with Libby's "oh I'm criticising, but I'm not criticising anyone" attitude has already been aired on the firegoat thread. It is a fact in defamation law that a statement is read as criticising any individual it could be reasonably read as criticising, whether they are named or not. Libby's statement could be read as referring to me (and also to several others) therefore it does in effect refer to all these people no matter what she may say otherwise.

I believe that the proportion of threads that turn into flamewars is small and most of them get split to the non-chess section whenever this occurs.

Now maybe it's because I'm a girl that I don't understand that what happens on the field, stays on the field (as in my hubby's footy opponents being able to flatten him or cast aspersions on his "squeeze" but everyone gets together for some backslapping & drinks afterwards). In my experience, girls who don't like you on the court, don't like you off it either. So maybe everyone blusters away here but works productively together (and plays together) in chess.
    No, it isn't "because you're a girl". The playing of a gender card in cases like this is totally mistaken.

On the main other BB I post on the females are as much into this sort of flaming you deplore as the males. We have males making the same kinds of comments as you are making and females responding by calling them hippies (and worse). One of my best (female) friends got banned from attending a gig by sulky males whose friends she had slagged off online, and could not see why they couldn't understand the principle that except in extreme cases, online stuff should stay online.

Also I have good reason to believe firegoat takes this personally offline, but I haven't needed to attempt to work with him on anything offline to judge whether it affects his ability to do so. Certainly I have had no trouble working with Matthew offline.

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    However, it dawned on me that Bon Bon also has a puritan streak in him. So I opted for a synthesis between Mother Theresea and Maggie T.
    I dislike Thatcher but Mother Theresa is a far bigger insult.

Go Maggie!

Thread Information