Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pballard
    No they're not stalemated at any time, because black can move his pawn.
    Yes, and by the same token in my solution Black can move the king on a8-b8 so again no stalemate.

In that case, both our solutions work!
    I don't think the a8=black P solution works because after Ne2 Black can play Kg2 which becomes messy.

As I said your ideas of promoting to a black piece and promoting the h pawn to a queen to execute simultaneous mate are both right. The only problem is the pawn doesn't work. Promoting to a Black K not only introduces another simultaneous mate but contains even more poignant poetic justice. So my money is on 2.a8=K(black)
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Yes, and by the same token in my solution Black can move the king on a8-b8 so again no stalemate.
    On 2nd thoughts I suspect you're right. I rejected it at first because it was getting late and I wasn't sure of the stalemate rules when one player has multiple kings But I now see that 2 Bd4+ is stalemate in the sense that "the K on a8 is in stalemate because he is not in check and black has no legal moves"; and in that sense both 2 a8=black_king and 2 a8=black_pawn prevent stalemate.

I don't think the a8=black P solution works because after Ne2 Black can play Kg2 which becomes messy.
    No, 3 Bf1 guarded g2. Throughout my solution, neither black king can move, so he's forced to keep moving the pawn.

I suspect your solution is the "correct" one, and mine is a "cook".

--
    Peter

On 2nd thoughts I suspect you're right. I rejected it at first because it was getting late and I wasn't sure of the stalemate rules when one player has multiple kings But I now see that 2 Bd4+ is stalemate in the sense that "the K on a8 is in stalemate because he is not in check and black has no legal moves"; and in that sense both 2 a8=black_king and 2 a8=black_pawn prevent stalemate.

No, 3 Bf1 guarded g2. Throughout my solution, neither black king can move, so he's forced to keep moving the pawn.

I suspect your solution is the "correct" one, and mine is a "cook".

--
    Peter
    i'm thinking of another idea here

i thought of having 4 black kings (or even 5 if the last pawn eventually promotes)

i then thought that if a king is checked then it has to move if no interposing or capturing the checking piece is possible

i also thought that whereas two enemy kings can't stand side to side allied kings logically are able to do so

i was dreaming about new zealand ... sheep .... sheep dog trials !!!

come on you knight and bishop sheep dogs herd those black kings sheep in one at a time into one corner (sheep pen) and find a way to lock them in (checkmate) all at once

stay!!

nooo!!

go onnnnnnnnn! corner him!!

this way ...

BAAAAAAAAA!!!!

eclectic

Yep, see that now. Your solution looks good then but just need to account for a6 instead of axb6, but that is fine and follows similar lines except Ne2 is not required.

1.Kc2 h1=K
    2.a8=Black King
    2... Kb8
    3.h7 Ka8
    4.h8=Q###(triple checkmate)
    Rincewind's answer is the intended composer's solution.
    If a pawn reaches the eigth rank, it must be promoted: getting another pawn (regardless of color), is not a promotion, at least not by definition.

Well done Rincewind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Gil
    Well done Rincewind!!
    Thanks. As noted earlier pballard's solution had the key ideas of promotion from a white pawn to a black piece and h8=Q##. My contribution (promotion to a third black king) was minimal by comparison.

CC Rookie
    That problem was too weird

CC Rookie
    I believe this story was told on one of Jesse Kraai's Chesslecture.com video called A holiday tale.

According to the comments there, George Koltanowski was the original writer of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeluga View Post
    I believe this story was told on one of Jesse Kraai's Chesslecture.com video called A holiday tale.

According to the comments there, George Koltanowski was the original writer of the story.
    Yes. IIRC, the participants were himself and some sort of criminal leader.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”—Milton Friedman

“If a private enterprise is a failure, it is closed down—unless it can get a government subsidy to keep it going; if a government enterprise is a failure, it is expanded. I challenge you to find exceptions.”—Milton Friedman

Thread Information