Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

King's Gambit corner

I have always had a soft spot for the King's Gambit and, since I hadn't seriously played it in a rated game since I was a junior, I decided to dust it off last night. Here's what happened:

Event: The Tal (2005) - Round 3
    Site: Croydon Chess
    Date: 10/3/2005
    White: Stephen Frost (1191)
    Black: Mike Smith (1342)
    Result: 1/2-1/2
    ECO: C37

PGN Viewer

When I got home and started to analyze this I must admit to being pretty frustrated at not having been able to find the wins during the game.

Perhaps next time I won't be so quick to play the "thematic" sacrifice and will look more closely at moves which simply increase the pressure until something breaks down in my opponent's position.

Quick straw poll ... am I alone in my love of the King's Gambit, or are there others here that like to play it too? I've never been brave enough to play the truly scary gambits out of this opening (e.g. where White's King goes walkabout on f1 or where the Nf3 is sacrificed early).
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Quick straw poll ... am I alone in my love of the King's Gambit, or are there others here that like to play it too? I've never been brave enough to play the truly scary gambits out of this opening (e.g. where White's King goes walkabout on f1 or where the Nf3 is sacrificed early).
    I've studied it a little and started playing it in Blitz games a while back but have since cooled on the idea and I don't think I have played it in a rated game.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

JGB,

I played 1.e4 e5 2.f4 Bc5 tonight as per your suggestion. Worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    JGB,

I played 1.e4 e5 2.f4 Bc5 tonight as per your suggestion. Worked a treat.

I am so happy for you. Its a nice opening, and I find the guys playing the white side of the Classical kings gambit declined have little theoretical knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    I am so happy for you. Its a nice opening, and I find the guys playing the white side of the Classical kings gambit declined have little theoretical knowledge.
    Yes, I was an exchange up by move 16 and then he blundered a piece at move 22, and resigned. There was slight contraversy regarding the touch move rule, but at best he was going to be a clean rook down with nothing to show for it.

Here is the game

Opponent - Rincewind
    15-3-2005

PGN Viewer

CC International Master

My experience with King's Gambit

I have been playing the King's Gambit in correspondence and Email for many years. If both player's know what they are doing it leads to a really difficult game. If black is playing for the win the line to play is

1. e4 e5
    2. f4 exf
    3.Nf3 g5

Now

4. h4 (against Bc4 or d4 black plays Bg7 and already is beter) g4
    5. Ne5 and after 150 years the is still considerable vitality in the position.

Be warned the KGA does not lead to an attack for white in many lines. White winds up with a better ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    I have been playing the King's Gambit in correspondence and Email for many years. If both player's know what they are doing it leads to a really difficult game. If black is playing for the win the line to play is

1. e4 e5
    2. f4 exf
    3.Nf3 g5
    I sent Rincewind an article I found where Bobby Fisher claimed the King's Gambit as "busted" by playing:

1.e4 e5
    2.f4 exf
    3.Nf3 d6
    4.Bc4 h6
    5.d4 g5
    6.O-O Bg7
    7.c3 Ne7

and Black intends to castle king-side.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

I sent Rincewind an article I found where Bobby Fisher claimed the King's Gambit as "busted" by playing:

1.e4 e5
    2.f4 exf
    3.Nf3 d6
    4.Bc4 h6
    5.d4 g5
    6.O-O Bg7
    7.c3 Ne7

and Black intends to castle king-side.
    Yeah it was 3...d6 which created the stir. It was his famous waiting move. He did get knocked off by Spassky using it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    Yeah it was 3...d6 which created the stir. It was his famous waiting move. He did get knocked off by Spassky using it though.
    I was aware of his loss playing 3. ... g5 in their very first game (circa 1960) but not that one ... can anyone post the game score? I'd like to look at it.

I was aware of his loss playing 3. ... g5 in their very first game (circa 1960) but not that one ... can anyone post the game score? I'd like to look at it.
    According to The Games of Robert J Fischer (1972) only one person ever played the King's Gambit with the white pieces against Fischer. It was of course the famous game Spassky-Fischer, Mar del Plata, 30 March, 1960. Fischer played 3...g5 (Keiseritzky) and resigns in 29 moves.

Also searching my database I can't find a game where Fischer played 3...d6.

Of course Fischer generally employed 1...c5 against 1.e4 so in the vast majority of his game the King's Gambit was not an option White could exercise.

BTW, Rincewind, congrats on the win ... the KGD would be a very effective psychological choice against a compulsive 2.f4 player methinks.

BTW, Rincewind, congrats on the win ... the KGD would be a very effective psychological choice against a compulsive 2.f4 player methinks.
    Thanks. I outrated my opponent but these compulsive attacks can be dangerous to play and killing off the counterplay where possible is usually the way to go. Still I was surprised how easy it was to win the exchange. Him forcing me to play a6 and then Ba7 meant I didn't have to waste any tempos preventing this bishop from being traded for a knight. His final move was a doosey though.

The controversy was he quickly (and deliberately in my mind) picked up king and bishop in order to play Kxc1 (the only logical continuation after playing c1 in the first place) - after which Nxd3+ wins the queen on f2. However before completing the move he saw the lethal fork and tried to argue that he need only move his king. I insisted that picking up the bishop was clearly a deliberate touch and therefore he must play Kxc1 and he resigned without making that move. He was not happy, Jan.

Here's my latest effort, from last night. My opponent overlooked 9. ... f2! and let me get away with murder, but then I played two horrible blunders on moves 24 and 25 and let him get away with a draw. I can't explain move 24, other than I had some stupid idea in my head that by splitting the rooks I was going to win one of them! Appalling!!!

PGN Viewer

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Frosty, I have not gone through your game as reading SMH but what amazes me is in correspondence chess with no pressure you and myself have made blunders. My game wtih you, under presssure of concrete pour, was the first CC game I have ever played.

But in OTB chess I can't recall making any blunders, my losses was due to their better play and not to outright blunders. Though a lot less time to make moves?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Frosty, I have not gone through your game as reading SMH but what amazes me is in correspondence chess with no pressure you and myself have made blunders. My game wtih you, under presssure of concrete pour, was the first CC game I have ever played.

But in OTB chess I can't recall making any blunders, my losses was due to their better play and not to outright blunders. Though a lot less time to make moves?
    I'm pretty poor at CC but I did pick up some tips from reading Purdy's book (about his World CC conquest):

* Make sure the board is set up right. I have a recollection that he might've had 2 boards for each simultaneous game ... one for the starting position for each analysis session, the other for working through the moves

* Examine, at least cursorily, each move on the board

* Write down your analysis as you go along, don't rely on memory

The problem I have with playing CC here is that its done in spare moments, so I probably spend very little time following those tips above and actually just make arbitrary decisions on the spur of the moment.

When playing OTB its easier to get focused and get your head into the game. Developing plans, etc. Different approach altogether, produces (in me anyway) a different style of play.

I would never play 1.b4 in a tourney, but have no qualms whatsoever playing it in a CC game just for the fun of it. Then again, I would probably not play 1.e4 e5 2.f4 in a CC game (because I think the KG is very suspect) but I do enjoy playing OTB because of the time pressure element. White often gets an opportunity to attack and/or to sacrifice on f7 and that puts pressure on one's opponent. (then again, my recent results with KGA have been very poor).

Thread Information