2005 Brisbane Open

I am replying in this thread as gp coordinator to a post made by antichrist relating to the gp event, 2005 Brisbane Open.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I posted this in Doeberl thread two days ago just to show that even a GP event is clashing with Doeberl and not a word said. I always said that eventually logic would win out (re holding SEC)

Brisbane Open - Easter Weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon 26-28 March)

e are pleased to announce that Brisbane now has its own Australian Grand Prix event on the Easter weekend. It is also a rare opportunity to play in an event with championship time controls of 90 mins a side plus 30 secs a move (Fischer). There will be 6 rounds, with two rounds a day at 10am and 3pm. The tournament will be an ACF Grand Prix category 2 event with $1,500 in prize money. The location is the Marymac Centre at 616 Ipswich Road Annerley. This venue is carpeted, air-conditioned and with good lighting. It has a canteen and bar - and the parking is good.

Prizes: 1st $400, 2nd $300, 3rd $200 plus three ratings prizes of $200 each.
    Entry Fees: Adults $65, Concession $55, Juniors $45 (all entry fees discounted by $10 if received before 25 March).
    GMs, IMs & FMs, and all players with an ACF Main, or FIDE rating of 2000+ enter free of charge (must enter before 25 March).

Whilst we encourage local players to go to the Doeberl Cup in Canberra, we realise for the majority of players this is probably not possible for various reasons. Hence we wish to give Brisbane chess players in particular, and Queenslanders in general, this new opportunity.

It is a Grand Prix event as well!!!
    When I was informed that this event was taking place, I raised this issue with Denis Jessop and Graeme Gardiner about my concerns of a potential clash between Doeberl and Brisbane Open. Some discussion by email ensured about a range of issues.

As ACF president, Denis Jessop in consultation with the organisers made the decision that the events dont clash much at all and having the brisbane open will not affect entries at Doeberl.

Players from the Gold Coast are still being organised to go to Doeberl. I believe that usually there are about 12 players from Queensland that go to Doeberl. We shall see if there is any affect on qld entries going to Doeberl.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    I may not be popular but on important issues I am often correct.

Gray....has GM Roland Schmaltz entered?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Gray....has GM Roland Schmaltz entered?

AR
    i dont know.

AR,
    this guy may be able to tell you, or could put onto someone who could

Graeme Gardiner
    Gardiner Chess
    Phone +61 7 5522 7221
    Fax +61 7 5522 7760
    Email ggardiner@gardinerchess.com
    Webpage www.gardinerchess.com

may be Ipswich Lodge not Victor

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I am replying in this thread as gp coordinator to a post made by antichrist relating to the gp event, 2005 Brisbane Open.

When I was informed that this event was taking place, I raised this issue with Denis Jessop and Graeme Gardiner about my concerns of a potential clash between Doeberl and Brisbane Open. Some discussion by email ensured about a range of issues.

As ACF president, Denis Jessop in consultation with the organisers made the decision that the events dont clash much at all and having the brisbane open will not affect entries at Doeberl.

Players from the Gold Coast are still being organised to go to Doeberl. I believe that usually there are about 12 players from Queensland that go to Doeberl. We shall see if there is any affect on qld entries going to Doeberl.
    The Brisbane Open is a Cat 3 event - it's unlikely to have a significant effect on the Doeberl. Brisbane didnt have an open previously and this seems an anomaly. Due to pressure on the Queensland Calendar, this was one of the few weekends available.
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    The Brisbane Open is a Cat 3 event - it's unlikely to have a significant effect on the Doeberl. Brisbane didnt have an open previously and this seems an anomaly. Due to pressure on the Queensland Calendar, this was one of the few weekends available.
    It is a fantastic week-end which has been wasted for the past forty years (I assume)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    The brisbane open is a category 2 event. Not cat 3.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey gray...what's this I hear German GM Roland Schmaltz is playing in Brissy Op? When is that event?

AR
    Roland and I had a small chat tonight and he is playing in the Brisbane Open.

CC FIDE Master
    One of the reasons why the Doeberl Cup organisers haven't had a problem with this event in the past is that it has been held in Toowoomba rather than Brisbane. Big cities have a much easier time organising events than country towns and the Doeberl Cup organisers certainly appreciate the effort the rural organisers put into holding events.
    Now that it has moved to Brisbane, I for one am less enamoured by this event and if I may make a suggestion to the CAQ: If you feel that there is a gap in your calendar over Easter, why not assist the chess players in Toowoomba in getting the Darling Downs Open up and running again.

[QUOTE=shaun]One of the reasons why the Doeberl Cup organisers haven't had a problem with this event in the past is that it has been held in Toowoomba rather than Brisbane. Big cities have a much easier time organising events than country towns and the Doeberl Cup organisers certainly appreciate the effort the rural organisers put into holding events.
    Now that it has moved to Brisbane, I for one am less enamoured by this event and if I may make a suggestion to the CAQ: If you feel that there is a gap in your calendar over Easter, why not assist the chess players in Toowoomba in getting the Darling Downs Open up and running again.[/QUOTE

Here we go again. I assume there would be a lot more players in Brissy than Toowby, are they supposed to travel both ways many times or pay motel bills and be away from the family. The Doeberl was not handed down from God as the Covenant was. We all respect it but we should not try to corral people.

There was no complainet about the big-paying NZ comp. clashing with the Aust Championship, and some top OZ players did go over, I mentioned it at the time. There has to be consistency -- too late now. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    One of the reasons why the Doeberl Cup organisers haven't had a problem with this event in the past is that it has been held in Toowoomba rather than Brisbane. Big cities have a much easier time organising events than country towns and the Doeberl Cup organisers certainly appreciate the effort the rural organisers put into holding events.
    Now that it has moved to Brisbane, I for one am less enamoured by this event and if I may make a suggestion to the CAQ: If you feel that there is a gap in your calendar over Easter, why not assist the chess players in Toowoomba in getting the Darling Downs Open up and running again.
    Darling Downs is still held. It is run over the QBW weekend. There is no point making the suggestion to CAQ. I raised my concerns over the Brisbane open and category status and got over ruled by Denis Jessop etc. It was not my decision. Therefore you have to speak to Graeme and Denis.

This is a leftover from the old Gough Whitlam - Joh Bjelke-Petersen struggles. Queensland never likes been bossed by Canberra.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    I had missed this thread and have only just become aware of it. I am not aware that that the Doeberl Cup organising committee is concerned about the matter.

What Garvin said in his earlier post is essentially right though the matter goes a little further than that.

When, a few years ago, there was a great to do about the clash between the Doeberl Cup and the Sydney Easter event, I, as ACTCA delegate to the ACF Council, sought to have a rule introduced about clashing GP events. The attempt was put on hold and has since languished (partly through pressure of other things) though there is no reason why it could not be raised again. But it was discussed in Council and some criteria were mentioned. None of those suggested would have prevented the holding of the Brisbane Open and the Doeberl Cup simultaneously. Moreover, with the greatest respect to Shaun, I think it is drawing rather a long bow to suggest that the holding of events so far removed geographically from each other at the same time is a matter of genuine concern.

I mentioned this history to Graeme when I discussed the matter with him. At the time he said that, far from clashing with the Doeberl Cup in the sense of trying to have CAQ players play there rather than in Canberra, he was actively encouraging them to play in the Doeberl.

Today, Graeme has e-mailed me as folllows:

"Just to advise that I have been recommending to people that they attend the Doeberl Cup. Those that I know are going include Stephen Solomon, Phachara Wongwichit, Matthew Sonter, Ben Lazarus, Alex Jule, Jessica Kinder and Ric Kaspar. I expect Moulthun Ly is going also. There could be others. So I expect you will have roughly the usual number from Queensland."

When I told Graeme originally that I saw no problem with the clash this is what I expected would happen on the basis of what I was told.

DJ

Thread Information