Thread: State Election

CC Candidate Master

State Election

Tomorrows WA state election seems likely to be won by Labour (you can get odds of about 3 to 1 on the Coalition). I haven't followed the election closely, but I feel that the Coalition's leader Colin Barnett has been portrayed in a much worse light than Labour's Geoff Gallop. The two referendum questions on extended trading hours should be interesting.

Hey mate...I heard this bloke on radio yesterday. The journos were goin' on about some arithmetic problem or something. What's up with that?

AR

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey mate...I heard this bloke on radio yesterday. The journos were goin' on about some arithmetic problem or something. What's up with that?

AR
    I heard about it on the radio this morning, Colin Barnett (Coalition leader) produced some financial plan that he'd obviously done on his own as the figures simply did not add up. It sounded like a pantomime at the press conference as the journo's tried to point this out - "Your figures do not add up", 'Oh yes they do", "Oh no they don't". Anyhow his credibility is far from great. I'd just awoken so I didn't catch the specifics.

CC Grandmaster
    It's quite funny the way the WA state election seems to be panning out like the recent Federal election in reverse. Liberals releasing dodgy last minute costings, Labour campaigning on sound fiscal management and accusing the other guy of being a hopeless money manager.

"if you can't add up, you can't run a state"..

"if you can't run a council, you can't run the country"..

CC Candidate Master
    The Gallop Labor government has won a second term, and the majority is going to be roughly the same as last time. The ABC site predicts they will win 32 seats (out of 57), like before.

The Liberals and Nationals did gain some seats, but these were mainly off (conservative) independents or each other!

So much for my potential career as a political analyst - some of Labor's ministers have been pretty terrible but they were all in safe seats (like mine)and there was no 'flow on' effect to the marginals, which I anticipated as quite likely.

The upper house is more unclear, except for the fact that One Nation will lose all 3 of their seats. The Green vote is also down a bit, so the coalition may just get a majority (but this is by no means definite).

If this is the case it will be interesting to see if Labor and the Greens try to get the one vote one value legislation through before the change in the upper house. Last time they were 1 vote short, but one disaffected Liberal turned independent has expressed his support for the idea.

However, one of Labor's promises in the campaign was to give up the one vote one value proposed legislation (may be due to the number of surprise country seats they won last time ). Will they disregard this and jump at what may be the final chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Trizza
    If this is the case it will be interesting to see if Labor and the Greens try to get the one vote one value legislation through before the change in the upper house. Last time they were 1 vote short, but one disaffected Liberal turned independent has expressed his support for the idea.

However, one of Labor's promises in the campaign was to give up the one vote one value proposed legislation (may be due to the number of surprise country seats they won last time ). Will they disregard this and jump at what may be the final chance?
    it took a corruption inquiry and the throw out of a government to get something approximating one vote one value here in qld. Now we have a premier who admires the former premier that was tossed for the corruption scandals

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trizza
    The upper house is more unclear, except for the fact that One Nation will lose all 3 of their seats. The Green vote is also down a bit, so the coalition may just get a majority (but this is by no means definite).
    Is this possible? I just had a very quick look and the Coalition looked to have the following: 3 in Ag, 2 in E Met, 2 in M/Past, 3 in N Met, 2-3 in S Met, 3-4 in SW. They seemed to have good chances on current votes in the two uncertain cases (though I'm not aware of the preference distributions) but that still only gives them 17 which splits the house 50-50 - is there any way they can actually get a majority?

Poor result for the Greens to go down marginally despite huge collapse in One Nation vote. Then again I suppose with the oldgrowth forest issue more or less sorted over there they must be starved of oxygen.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The following have just been posted as Upper House predictions based on current numbers (obviously the preference allocations lead to some unusual outcomes here):

ALP 15 (up 2)
    Liberals 14 (up 2)
    Greens 2 (down 3)
    Nationals 1 (unchanged)
    Christian Democrats 1 (up 1)
    Fremantle Hospital Support Group 1 (up 1)
    One Nation 0 (down 3)
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information