Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

CC Candidate Master

39th Ballarat Begonia 2005

Announcement for the 39th BALLARAT BEGONIA TOURNAMENT
    (12-14th March 2005).

Invitations are extended for the 39th Ballarat Begonia Open to be conducted by the Ballarat Chess Club Inc. The tournament will be FIDE rated and it will be part of the Grand Prix (Class 3).
    It will be held at the regular venue, which offers excellent playing conditions and is located in the heart of the city close to all facilities.

Date: The Victorian Labour Day long weekend,
    Saturday 12th to Monday 14th March 2005.

Venue: AmenitiesCentre, Old Gaol Building, School of Mines,
    Lydiard St South, Ballarat.

Schedule: The tournament will be a 7 round Swiss starting at 1.45 pm Saturday with the final round on Monday at 2.30 pm. The rate of play will be 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move increment from move 1.

Entries: $70.00 adult, $55.00 concession for pensioners and unemployed
    $40 for juniors under 14 years of age.

Prizes: Outright prizes: 1st $1,000 2nd $500 3rd $300 4th $200
    Three Rating Groups: 1st $300 2nd $150
    All prizes are guaranteed by the club.

The organising committee has pre-booked a limited quantity of budget accommodation, which will be allocated on first application basis, so if you are interested please contact us early.

Contacts.Telephone: Patrick Cook 03 5331 6658 or Scott Stewart 0411 465 976
    Postal Box1242, Ballarat Mail Centre Vic 3354
    E-mail: patrickcook1@hotmail.com

Web sites: http://www.ballaratchess.goldlinksweb.com
    or http://www.auschess.org.au/ballarat/bccindex.htm
    Accomodation and tourist activities: http://www.ballarat.com/
    The Begonia Festival: http://www.ballaratbegoniafestival.com/
    Public transport: http://www.vlinepassenger.com.au/timetables/

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Dear Bas,

Top flyer. Nice first prize. I have to get to Ballarat this year.

Cheers David

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Dear Bas,

Have you considered using DGT boards for the Ballarat event? Im sure the pit would be an awesome place for their use. Hopefully Gary Bekker would be able to give you a walk through.

Cheers David

CC Candidate Master
    Hi David,

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7

Top flyer. Nice first prize. I have to get to Ballarat this year.

Cheers David
    I must admit, that I have been wondering what has lately kept you away from the Begonia. Meanwhile, you definitely have missed some interesting competition...!
    Looking forward seeing you again in Ballarat, David!

This year, the group's prizes have increased, whith the others remaining the same as last year's.

With respect to the intruduction of DGT boards, we have discussed this for a number of years (with Gary), but the extra work and the need for a special person to look after the hook-up during the tournament has been the bottle-necks sofar.
    As far as I know (I am not on the organising committee anymore), the use of DGT boards are not planned for this year's tournament either.

Just a week to go! I better book some accom. soon or maybe ill just camp out, whatever.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi all,

Only a few nights sleep, and we will have the Ballarat Begonia (12-14March), one of the (2?) undisputed /definite Grand Slam tournaments in Australian chess. It will be a busy time with the other major (The Doeberl Cup) only one and a half week between them.
    The very good news is that the weather during the Begonia weekend will be excellent (guaranteed, promise!) and that our Begonias look better than ever. No reason to stay away from Ballarat this coming weekend!!

I did follow some of the arguments on the Doeberl Cup thread with interest, especially those about the suggestion by some to have Major and Minor sections considered in Ballarat.
    The main two arguments were: 1) the Ballarat Begonia tournament has now expanded so much (about 120 players), that a 7 round Swiss to e played in one section only, could be viewed as a bit of a lottery near the top of the ladder; and 2) many (of the weaker) players would prefer to play against peers within a more restricted rating field. The introduction of additional groups (eg Major, Minor) would cater for these people, and at the same time solve item no.1

The organising committee has indicated that the Begonia will consider (depending on the number of entrees) applying the accelerated pairing, this year. A possibility not mentioned in the earlier discussions.
    This move would also (partly) solve problem no.2. In addition, I would like to mention that the introduction of additional groups in Ballarat would create an extra logistical burden for a club which is already stretched to the limit, organising a tournament of this size.

Bas

Quote Originally Posted by Bas
    In addition, I would like to mention that the introduction of additional groups in Ballarat would create an extra logistical burden for a club which is already stretched to the limit, organising a tournament of this size.

Bas
    I understand that it might require a small amount of extra work, but I dont believe it would be that high.

Hey my kid did good

Ok, if you insist on asking...He got to play in the pit, he won more points than last year (his two goals) and he came =1st. (with 3 others) in his rating group. AND he was interviewed for the TV news.

Quote Originally Posted by noidea
    Ok, if you insist on asking...He got to play in the pit, he won more points than last year (his two goals) and he came =1st. (with 3 others) in his rating group. AND he was interviewed for the TV news.
    Now there is a proud mum!

Well done

Cute kids are always a must for TV.

I think so, thankyou.
    He actually did a great job. He said it was a great tournament and that we had players from all round the country including a GM and some IM's.
    He also ,mentioned the squad, but they forgot to say NECG...what a missed opportunity. Still he was in the middle of a game.
    I would like to thank sincerely SALLY Yu, James' opponent at the time, who willingly stopped the game so James could be interviewed, and then sat and watched him and suppported him during the interview.

Still he was in the middle of a game.
    I would like to thank sincerely SALLY Yu, James' opponent at the time, who willingly stopped the game so James could be interviewed, and then sat and watched him and suppported him during the interview.
    How awful to do it in the game.

I can remember a news team turning up to a High Schools comp in Canberra a couple of years ago. Because Shannon was one of the few girls playing and also a member of the team that was obviously going to win the tournament, they went and set up a very big light and shined it on her to take some photos. She turned to them and gave them a mouthful and pretty much told them to go away. I found myself having to make all sorts of soothing noises and promise to set up a photo opportunity as soon as the game finished.

CC Grandmaster
    Another good result for Humphrey. Proving his Zonal wasn't a flash in the pan?

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Another good result for Humphrey. Proving his Zonal wasn't a flash in the pan?

Humphrey's game against Johansen was an eye-opener to watch. Nothing off the board for a long time, and although it was clear Johansen was eventually going to win a pawn, the resignation seemed to be very premature. I watched the after-game analysis and it became clear that really good players see deep wins for their opponent.

starter

Thread Information