Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

39th Ballarat Begonia 2005

Announcement for the 39th BALLARAT BEGONIA TOURNAMENT
    (12-14th March 2005).

Invitations are extended for the 39th Ballarat Begonia Open to be conducted by the Ballarat Chess Club Inc. The tournament will be FIDE rated and it will be part of the Grand Prix (Class 3).
    It will be held at the regular venue, which offers excellent playing conditions and is located in the heart of the city close to all facilities.

Date: The Victorian Labour Day long weekend,
    Saturday 12th to Monday 14th March 2005.

Venue: AmenitiesCentre, Old Gaol Building, School of Mines,
    Lydiard St South, Ballarat.

Schedule: The tournament will be a 7 round Swiss starting at 1.45 pm Saturday with the final round on Monday at 2.30 pm. The rate of play will be 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move increment from move 1.

Entries: $70.00 adult, $55.00 concession for pensioners and unemployed
    $40 for juniors under 14 years of age.

Prizes: Outright prizes: 1st $1,000 2nd $500 3rd $300 4th $200
    Three Rating Groups: 1st $300 2nd $150
    All prizes are guaranteed by the club.

The organising committee has pre-booked a limited quantity of budget accommodation, which will be allocated on first application basis, so if you are interested please contact us early.

Contacts.Telephone: Patrick Cook 03 5331 6658 or Scott Stewart 0411 465 976
    Postal Box1242, Ballarat Mail Centre Vic 3354
    E-mail: patrickcook1@hotmail.com

Web sites: http://www.ballaratchess.goldlinksweb.com
    or http://www.auschess.org.au/ballarat/bccindex.htm
    Accomodation and tourist activities: http://www.ballarat.com/
    The Begonia Festival: http://www.ballaratbegoniafestival.com/
    Public transport: http://www.vlinepassenger.com.au/timetables/

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Dear Bas,

Top flyer. Nice first prize. I have to get to Ballarat this year.

Cheers David

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Dear Bas,

Have you considered using DGT boards for the Ballarat event? Im sure the pit would be an awesome place for their use. Hopefully Gary Bekker would be able to give you a walk through.

Cheers David

CC Candidate Master
    Hi David,

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7

Top flyer. Nice first prize. I have to get to Ballarat this year.

Cheers David
    I must admit, that I have been wondering what has lately kept you away from the Begonia. Meanwhile, you definitely have missed some interesting competition...!
    Looking forward seeing you again in Ballarat, David!

This year, the group's prizes have increased, whith the others remaining the same as last year's.

With respect to the intruduction of DGT boards, we have discussed this for a number of years (with Gary), but the extra work and the need for a special person to look after the hook-up during the tournament has been the bottle-necks sofar.
    As far as I know (I am not on the organising committee anymore), the use of DGT boards are not planned for this year's tournament either.

Just a week to go! I better book some accom. soon or maybe ill just camp out, whatever.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi all,

Only a few nights sleep, and we will have the Ballarat Begonia (12-14March), one of the (2?) undisputed /definite Grand Slam tournaments in Australian chess. It will be a busy time with the other major (The Doeberl Cup) only one and a half week between them.
    The very good news is that the weather during the Begonia weekend will be excellent (guaranteed, promise!) and that our Begonias look better than ever. No reason to stay away from Ballarat this coming weekend!!

I did follow some of the arguments on the Doeberl Cup thread with interest, especially those about the suggestion by some to have Major and Minor sections considered in Ballarat.
    The main two arguments were: 1) the Ballarat Begonia tournament has now expanded so much (about 120 players), that a 7 round Swiss to e played in one section only, could be viewed as a bit of a lottery near the top of the ladder; and 2) many (of the weaker) players would prefer to play against peers within a more restricted rating field. The introduction of additional groups (eg Major, Minor) would cater for these people, and at the same time solve item no.1

The organising committee has indicated that the Begonia will consider (depending on the number of entrees) applying the accelerated pairing, this year. A possibility not mentioned in the earlier discussions.
    This move would also (partly) solve problem no.2. In addition, I would like to mention that the introduction of additional groups in Ballarat would create an extra logistical burden for a club which is already stretched to the limit, organising a tournament of this size.

Bas

Quote Originally Posted by Bas
    In addition, I would like to mention that the introduction of additional groups in Ballarat would create an extra logistical burden for a club which is already stretched to the limit, organising a tournament of this size.

Bas
    I understand that it might require a small amount of extra work, but I dont believe it would be that high.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I understand that it might require a small amount of extra work, but I dont believe it would be that high.
    For a starters (no pun intended!) what about the extra arbiters (and admin) you need when you introduce additional groups? How many did you use at Mt Buller for instance? Paid even....
    Also many helpers are available at Canberra every year.
    On the other hand, we in Ballarat are depending on volunteers/club members, who all (want to) play in the tournament itself. Except for one: the single DOP, Kevin Perrin. Hard if one considers a membership base of about 15 people!
    Perhaps it could be done if we start paying those additional arbiters required? Which in turn, can be done if we can attract even more entrees. But then, we would need more price money etc etc. It always will be a very fine balance, I imagine.
    The next question: is the existing venue large enough to cater for several groups. Perhaps I am sounding a bit graygray (=negative) atm with my arguments, but given enough support and a lot of planning, I feel that it can be done ultimately. I personally do hope that it will happen some day...

CC Candidate Master
    Hi there!

How about a list of people who already entered? Or maybe at least a list of top players who already entered?

Quote Originally Posted by Bas
    For a starters (no pun intended!) what about the extra arbiters (and admin) you need when you introduce additional groups? How many did you use at Mt Buller for instance? Paid even....
    Four for the open and three for the juniors,as it turned out this was clearly the wrong number way round.

Perhaps it could be done if we start paying those additional arbiters required? Which in turn, can be done if we can attract even more entrees. But then, we would need more price money etc etc. It always will be a very fine balance, I imagine.
    The next question: is the existing venue large enough to cater for several groups. Perhaps I am sounding a bit graygray (=negative) atm with my arguments, but given enough support and a lot of planning, I feel that it can be done ultimately. I personally do hope that it will happen some day...
    it is easy to sound like i have in the past when the shoe is on the other foot and now you are the organiser and I am the one pitching thoughts and ideas and you have to make realistic and thought out decisions

If the u1600 tournament was in the main hall and attracted 20 or so extra total players, so you had say 150 approx instead of your current numbers, then you might be able to get away with no extra arbiters. Depending of course on how many u use at the moment.

Account Permanently Banned
    hi Bas

Good luck with the Ballarat tourney.

With just 3 days to go before the start of the 2004 VIC OPEN week-ender we had (from memory) 85 entrants paid out of an eventual 97 starters in the tourney. This high early-entry rate was achieved by offering a substantial early-bird discount. Thus two bottlenecks are alleviated
    > collection of money and input of names to SP
    > set-up the correct number of boards etc.

I notice in a few of our tournaments now that juniors and concession entrants are very canny seekers of the early-bird discount; so much so that the concession discount becomes unnecessary.

regards
    starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter

I notice in a few of our tournaments now that juniors and concession entrants are very canny seekers of the early-bird discount; so much so that the concession discount becomes unnecessary.

regards
    starter
    which then means an early bird discount becomes a concession discount for non concessioners who catch their worm early

eclectic

Account Permanently Banned
    ^
    Exactly the benefit I was describing.....good behaviour by more entrants.

starter

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Hi there!

How about a list of people who already entered? Or maybe at least a list of top players who already entered?
    Unfortunately, there is no list available yet, and I am too far away from the organisation to provide details. I was told that the number of confirmed entrees is very similar to last year's, but the bulk of the players simply turn up 'on the day'. Kevin informed me that an American (?Petersen), writing for Chess Life, has entered. I do know that Ian Rogers is not playing and that is about it. Oh, and I am definitely playing....

In reply to graygray who wrote:
    " ....depending of course on how many u use at the moment".

we have 'used' only one arbiter for the last 35 or so years.... Imagine the upheaval in Ballarat (!?), if we all of a sudden have to find another 2 or 3 volunteers to play the roles of arbiter.

Meanwhile, I am planning to do some reporting on this (esteemed) Bulletin
    board as results become available, and as much as my own playing schedule allows me to.
    Games en pictures will be uploaded unto my website:http://www.auschess.org.au/ballarat/bccindex.htm

CC Candidate Master
    Having a break in between round 1 and 2 of the Begonia. Very little time, therefore will have to keep it brief.
    Turnout is 105 players, less than last year but the organisers are quite happy it seems, given the proximity (in time) to the Doeberl. It is believed that some of the Mt Buller 'fanatics' have decided to give chess a break and spend some time with family or whatever...Oh, the trouble Mt Buller has caused..!
    The arbiter, Kevin Perrin, has decided to apply the accelerated swiss draw during the first two rounds. perhaps even three! GWastell suggested 2.5 rounds but I am not sure what he had in mind...
    As a result, we saw already a few interesting games in this round (I believe) with a draw between Mirko Rujevic and Pecak on board 4.
    Hopefully, I can give some detailed results after tonite's 2nd round.Quite a few games were still in progress when I left the venue.
    Daryl Johansen (1) had just won against Angelo Tsekorakis. Solomon (2), David Smerdon (3) and Partsi (5) had also won their respective games. The others in the top 10 also won (I don't remember the order): Jonathan Humfrey, David Hacche, Stewart Booth, Denis Bourmistrov, Drago. Did I forget anyone? Denis may have been seeded 11, now I come to think...
    Anyway, no big dramas so far.
    Got to go..

Bas

Thread Information