Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC Rookie

Central Control, now what?

PGN Viewer

I recently played a game in which I managed to set up the classic central control position as seen above. I got there, yay me, but then found that there really was no great attacks available or anything stunning.

I played on but was not particularly impressed with the follow-up play and chances.

I will let you know what I played and how the game ended up after I here some comments on what is the best course to take.

I have since come across a principle that states "When you control the center, it is usually a good idea to maintain or increase the tension, rather than release it." Is this good advice? I have also read that if you attain this position there is nothing the opposition can do so you can happily continue to develop until a chance presents itself. Not sure about this.

Anyway, I was expecting something more from such a theoretically advantageous and apparently dominant position.

Comments?

(First post btw. Hello. Been looking for a good chess forum and site and to my surprise one of the best is based right here in Aus . Go aussie.)
    Last edited by b1_; 13-02-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    b1, looks to me you have a good amount of space but Black's position is solid without obvious weaknesses and enough space to not get too cramped.

Long term I thinking you have good changes to attack down the 1/2 open f file.

Medium term, not sure what Black's knight is doing out on h5. It looks loose and you might be able to take advantage of that soon (but I can't see anything immediately).

Short term. Black's dark-squared bishop has very few squares. As all minor pieces are still in play it will probably be advantageous for you to swap of that bishop for a knight. Therefore 11.Nd5 looks like a move. This will win you the bishop pair.

That was my thoughts after a brief look atthe position. Hope it helps and I haven't messed up too badly.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    In that position i would play Bd3 followed by e5. Then..... h6 looks like a nice sacrifice
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC Rookie
    Chess nut, the h6 sacrifice was my main threat. As soon as he popped his pawn on h6 I moved my queen in behind my bishop on e3, ready to open up his kings pawn defences with that sacrifice. Indeed, I did want my other bishop on d3 desperately so I could finish him off, but your strategy would require one other move, a3, stopping him doing Nb4, threatening the exchange of the d3 bishop. I thought in the end that too many moves were required to set up what I thought was a too obvious attack, and therefore easily seen, and, with a 3 move prep on my part, probably easily countered.

Barry Cox, I hadn't noticed the cramped state of his black squared bishop. I'm always looking to remove an apponents bishops, preferrably with my knights. However, in this case the resultant position wasn't particularly advantageous.

I think the reason I couldn't find any great threats from this position is because his position was, as Barry Cox mentioned, not particularly weak in any way. In fact I think I recall seeing a diagram of the classic central control position, with the best position against it being something like my apponents in this case.

I think I've just got to learn to be a little more patient, and be happy with a slow build up of pressure, rather than expecting flashy attacks to appear.
    Last edited by b1_; 14-02-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b1_
    Chess nut, the h6 sacrifice was my main threat. As soon as he popped his pawn on h6 I moved my queen in behind my bishop on e3, ready to open up his kings pawn defences with that sacrifice. Indeed, I did want my other bishop on d3 desperately so I could finish him off, but your strategy would require one other move, a3, stopping him doing Nb4, threatening the exchange of the d3 bishop. I thought in the end that too many moves were required to set up what I thought was a too obvious attack, and therefore easily seen, and, with a 3 move prep on my part, probably easily countered.
    Ahhh true true indeed!!

Perhaps an alternative to a3 might be Ne2. This enables Bd3 and prepares to bring another piece on to the K side.
    GO THE DRAGONS!

no one has yet mentioned that e5 is very much playable now on move 11.

A space advantage in itself will not win you a game. A space advantage needs to be converted into something more tangible. e5 is the type of move that changes the position from a space advantage into a potential/real kingside attack.

We have already mentioned the possibilities of sacs on h6, also if you notice, the d7 bishop is defended once, but if the c6 knight moves, the d7 bishop is attacked twice. I am calling white to be have a large advantage in this position.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 14-02-2005 at 02:11 AM.

HOw is d7 attacked twice? IMHO e5 now will enable black to equalise and free up his position.

Eg. perhaps if 11.e5 de 12.Nxe5 Nxe5 and black exchanges of with potential equality. Also in this line White will eventually have an isolated pawn.

Yeah 11.e5 i think is a bit premature.
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    HOw is d7 attacked twice? IMHO e5 now will enable black to equalise and free up his position.

Eg. perhaps if 11.e5 de 12.Nxe5 Nxe5 and black exchanges of with potential equality. Also in this line White will eventually have an isolated pawn.

Yeah 11.e5 i think is a bit premature.
    11. e5 dxe5 12. dxe5 (not Nxe5) then which move do you want to play?

Nxe5 still. If NxN BxB
    GO THE DRAGONS!

PGN Viewer
      And also Black has the initiative.
    GO THE DRAGONS!

What am i talking about?? NxB Doh
    GO THE DRAGONS!

But still. I would prefer White with the nice centre rather than having an isolated non passed pawn in the center where it can be easily picked on.
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    But still. I would prefer White with the nice centre rather than having an isolated non passed pawn in the center where it can be easily picked on.
    this is another of those classic isolated pawn situations where white tries to prove that he has enough of an attack to compensate for the IKP (in this case).

I would like you to actually show me from this position with me being white and you black to prove that this isnt the case.

The e pawn cant be easily picked on as black has more problems to solve before having any thoughts of attacking the e pawn.

So its your move after 12. dxe5

12....a6
    GO THE DRAGONS!

I don't like this line youse blokes are playing. Why does White have to clarify the position immediately? Without looking too deeply into it, I woulda preferred Rad1 on White's 11th.

If Black questions the Bb5, just drop it back to b3 (via a4) or even e2 (preparing an attack on the knight). Then you can do some maneouvres like rerouting the Q to Qf2-g3 and at the same time clearing the d1 Rook against the black Q. 11. e5 is too soon. You gotta prepare your forces for the gang-bang.

AR

Thread Information