Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Gee Bill, when something's in the too hard basket and Peter sends you reeling to the canvass, your usual response is one of the following: to confuse, stay silent, suffocate the readers with quote tags, or if none of that works, threaten legal action.

It is a fact that said "games" never took place. The results were arranged by phone. Can we help you somehow in coming to some sort of decision on what to do?
    All that needs to be done is for you and A/C to put your brains in gear to be able to work it out. I'll help you both out with some hints.

I previously stated in the thread that the event was rated as submitted.
    I stated above that if the games were not played then I would rerun the june rating period.
    It has been established that the games were not played.

You, A/C and others should therefore be able to work out what will happen.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 21-07-2005 at 12:40 PM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Now that wasn't too hard, was it?

No thanks to you.

AR

Now that wasn't too hard, was it?

No thanks to you.
    It was easy for you to have worked that out for yourself.

Account Permanently Banned
    Gee Bill, when something's in the too hard basket and Peter sends you reeling to the canvass, your usual response is one of the following: to confuse, stay silent, suffocate the readers with quote tags, or if none of that works, threaten legal action.

It is a fact that said "games" never took place. The results were arranged by phone. Can we help you somehow in coming to some sort of decision on what to do?

AR
    hi Amiel
    You left this one off your list.
    His two coaches perhaps would be miffed to be left out.
    But a good list nevertheless.

starter

After about three weeks of filibustering and at long last - and it could all have been prevented by one phone call and one sentence at day one.

THAT'S OUR BILL.

Thanks KB by the way, I suspect that you had something causing the Berlin Wall to fall over.

Now for the next battle - so that members (without special permission) can attend council and committee meetings that effect them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    After about three weeks of filibustering and at long last - and it could all have been prevented by one phone call and one sentence at day one.

THAT'S OUR BILL.

Thanks KB by the way, I suspect that you had something causing the Berlin Wall to fall over.
    KB's comments had no bearing on the matter. I stated back on the July 6th in the shoutbox that if the games had not been played I would rerun the ratings and garethcharles said back on July 13th that the games were not played.
    As such it has been obvious since July 13th what would occur.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 21-07-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    KB's comments had no bearing on the matter. I stated back on the July 6th in the shoutbox that if the games had not been played I would rerun the ratings and garethcharles said back on July 13th that the games were not played.
    You fool nobody - you would not do anything unless it was shoved down your throat!

And to prove otherwise concede that you will now contact Gary Bekkers and tell him not to FIDE rate those games! And notify the thread that you have.
    Last edited by antichrist; 21-07-2005 at 03:20 PM.

You fool nobody - you would not do anything unless it was shoved down your throat!

And to prove otherwise concede that you will now contact Gary Bekkers and tell him not to FIDE rate those games! And notify the thread that you have.
    Do it yourself.

Do it yourself.
    I have been informed that the rules state that competition organisers must notify Gary Bekkers not to FIDE rate or to unrate these games.

As it obviously was not me (I only organise SEC) your advice as ratings officer and NSW president for me to do it was incorrect.

Filibustering again you so and so.

So I refer to Post 75 from this thread:

Then your impression was wrong. I was simply defending a friend of mine against the claim that he must be suffering from figments of the imagination.
    Seeing the organiser is your friend and maybe fellow official, who does not post here as far as I know, would you like to inform him to inform Gary not to rate the games?

I expect you to filibuster again for ages on this but it is up to yourself how much time you have to waste and how much of a fool you want to appear to be.

I have been informed that the rules state that competition organisers must notify Gary Bekkers not to FIDE rate or to unrate these games.

<snip>.
    a/c

The forms that Gary gives us to fill in require certification by the DOP/Arbiter and/or the Promoter, if different. We also put similar detail on the SP file.
    Not sure if this helps as I don't know who gets allocated this job at the Dragons Lair.

regards
    starter

Unplayed games will not be FIDE rated

I have amended the FIDE tournament report as follows:

Plyr 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Tot
    1 ZZ x = 1 = 1 = 1 1 1 1 7.5
    2 AR = x 1 1 1 6
    3 NK 0 x 1 1 1 1 0 5.5
    4 LM = x 0 1 1 1 5.5
    5 IZ 0 0 1 x 0 1 1 4.5
    6 RK = 0 1 x 0 0 1 1 4.5
    7 QR 0 0 0 0 0 1 x 1 1 3.5
    8 IZ 0 0 0 0 1 0 x 1 1 3.5
    9 AC 0 0 0 0 0 x 1 2.5
    0 AB 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 x 2

1. The players are listed in tiebreak order.
    2. The tournament Ra = 2160. Quentin Reitmans is expected to gain a FIDE rating from the tournament.
    3. [Three games indicated as = in the crosstable were agreed drawn without play. Gary Bekker]

The failure to play the three games which were agreed drawn means that these games should not be counted for FIDE ratings purposes.

Regards,

Gary Bekker
    gbekker@mira.net

It is terrific that Gary has done the right thing but it could have been done a lot earlier considering the controversy that has taken place for weeks, which he may have known of and could have enquired into. Maybe he could enlighten us.

Otherwise we will be left to speculate that it was only the threat of FIDE action that brought results.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Bill's action, if based on his own arguments referred to in post 126 below as claimed, also leaves something to be desired. Why he should he take the word of a person (Gareth) who is in no way connected with the competition in question?

Surely he should have a written directive from the DOP of the comp. when there is such controversy raging, at least to protect his own and the NSWCA/ACF's backside.

In all those weeks of speculation/controversy why didn't the NSWCA have had their own inquiry? They have time to debate for 30 minutes if I should be allowed to borrow chess equipment! Note, I am only directing criticism at the president here.

So I will ask the question of Bill and Gary, were amended results obtained from the DOP, and if not, why not?

BG post 126 this thread:
    21-07-2005 01:00 PM (refers to post 104 ed.)

(I hope I don't have to issue any apologies after this post)

It is terrific that Gary has done the right thing but it could have been done a lot earlier considering the controversy that has taken place for weeks, which he may have known of and could have enquired into. Maybe he could enlighten us.

__________________________________________________ ___
    <snip>
    hi a/c

I notice you and macavity draw attention to the possible need for Gary Bekker to confirm the accuracy/actuality of results presented to him for processing to FIDE. The need for this task came as a complete surprise to me, but as this thread shows, it needs consideration by him. His role as FIDE Oceania Zone President therefore becomes much more onerous. For the current rating period he would be checking the veracity of 7 tournaments from around Australia.
    It is now obvious how we can assist this volunteer in the future.

Otherwise we will be left to speculate that it was only the threat of FIDE action that brought results.
    Plus the transparency that came via the postings of 3 key Welshers on this thread.

regards
    starter

Bill's action, if based on his own arguments referred to in post 126 below as claimed, also leaves something to be desired. Why he should he take the word of a person (Gareth) who is in no way connected with the competition in question?
    I never said I took the word of Gareth. In post #121 I said it had been established the games were not played. I never commented how it had been established for any given individual. Now for Gareth it was established by talking to Charles which he stated in post #106. As such for those who had not spoken directly to Charles, Gareth's post should have been sufficient. Certainly people reading the BB had no reason to not believe him. Therefore for the majority of people reading this thread it was established in post #106 by Gareth.

Now I had previously said that if the games were not played I would rerun the June period. Since it had been established that was the case then anyone even you should have been able to work out that the games would not count and I would rerun the June period.
    It did not require me to spell it out.

Surely he should have a written directive from the DOP of the comp. when there is such controversy raging, at least to protect his own and the NSWCA/ACF's backside.

In all those weeks of speculation/controversy why didn't the NSWCA have had their own inquiry? They have time to debate for 30 minutes if I should be allowed to borrow chess equipment! Note, I am only directing criticism at the president here.
    I never stated I hadnt spoken to the DOP. I consistently told you and others if you wanted an answer then you should talk to the DOP. Gareth did that and got an answer as did AR. You could have done the same thing.

So I will ask the question of Bill and Gary, were amended results obtained from the DOP, and if not, why not?
    Well I certainly wouldnt be rerunning the June ratings based on results from anyone else now would I.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 24-07-2005 at 02:30 PM.

B1 from When to Resign thread:

I don't like players who resign too early. Some players get a kick out of resigning early thinking it shows their chess prowess. Others do it thinking it shows their sportmanship or something. Others resign early simply out of spite. Personally, I admire a fighting to the finish attitude, whether I'm the one doing it, or it's my apponent. Fair enough if you're a grandmaster, or are absolutely confident you can alway read the intracacies of a position and never make mistakes, but otherwise, set your Resign-o-Meter to the "never say die" setting, and fight on, even if it's just so you can get some much needed endgame practice in.

And there's no point to resigning in a Blitz game unless it's dead obvious it's over. If there are ever going to be major blunders it'll be in a Blitz game, and it would only be a few seconds of wasted time anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill, you seem to have learnt B1's lesson above very well. And Margaret Thacher's advice of never to apologise!

I shall return.

Thread Information