Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672

    Weird zonal error

    Looking at the results on TWIC:
    http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic535.html#5

    I notice that Puchen Wang (NZL 2218) in the standings is listed as Philip Xiao Wang in the crosstable (USA FM 2306). Presumably the former is correct (the official website has no mention of PX Wang), but the question is, why are the standings different from the crosstable? Was it generated from a different SP file?
    Last edited by pax; 09-02-2005 at 03:59 PM.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Yeah...I noticed that last night when viewing the games in Chessbase. Some players are listed with a totally different country. I think that has more to do with the spelling and Chessbase just sorta picks that up automatically. I dunno.

    AR

  3. #3
    . eclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Looking at the results on TWIC:
    http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic535.html#5

    I notice that Puchen Wang (NZL 2218) in the standings is listed as Philip Xiao Wang in the crosstable (USA FM 2306). Presumably the former is correct (the official website has no mention of PX Wang), but the question is, why are the standings different from the crosstable? Was it generated from a different SP file?
    I would have thought FIDE provided players with unique ID numbers (cf database key) so that such confusion is avoided.

    Mark
    .

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaro
    I would have thought FIDE provided players with unique ID numbers (cf database key) so that such confusion is avoided.

    Mark
    They do. That doesn't mean everyone uses them properly!

  5. #5
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,102
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Yeah...I noticed that last night when viewing the games in Chessbase. Some players are listed with a totally different country. I think that has more to do with the spelling and Chessbase just sorta picks that up automatically. I dunno.
    I believe its a Chessbase issue.
    If you look virtually all the first names are nothing but an initial.
    It picks the most likely candidate name from its players encyclopedia.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oceania Zonal starts Sun 30 Jan
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-01-2005, 09:02 AM
  2. Field for zonal starting Jan 30
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-01-2005, 11:01 AM
  3. upcoming zonal
    By bobby1972,1/2 in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-01-2005, 09:28 AM
  4. Entries for upcoming Zonal
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 03:01 PM
  5. Qld Girls and FIDE Zonal
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-08-2004, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •