Page 308 of 310 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310 LastLast
Results 4,606 to 4,620 of 4638

Thread: Cricket

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    This pitch will probably get a rating of poor from the ICC, just like the MCG did back in 2017. So I expect some changes for the Second test match if this does occur.
    Almost:

On Thursday, the governing International Cricket Council handed a demerit point to the Pindi Cricket Stadium. Match referee Ranjan Madugalle rated it “below average”, saying: “The character of the pitch hardly changed over the course of five days and that there has been no deterioration apart from the bounce getting slightly lower. “The pitch did not have a great deal of pace and bounce in it for the seamers nor assisted the spinners as the match progressed. In my view, this does not represent an even contest between bat and ball. Therefore, in keeping with the ICC guidelines I rate this pitch as below average.”

The pitch, though, did avoid the harsher punishment of three and five demerit points which are awarded to those venues whose pitches are marked as poor and unfit, respectively.

CC FIDE Master
    Australia post 556/9d in Karachi. The declaration comes 9 overs into Day 3. They will have a new ball early in tomorrow's play, if they need it.
    FA Andrew Hardegen
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC International Master
    Magnificent bowling by the Australians to bowl Pakistan out for 148 and look almost certain to win the test.

CC FIDE Master
    Curious decision by Australia to bat again and declare the second innings after only 22 overs, rather than enforcing the follow-on. I guess the concern with enforcing the follow-on would have been something along the lines of (i) Pakistan might score 550, and (ii) the pitch might then suddenly disintegrate into a minefield once Pakistan finish batting on it, and that then (iii) the Australian batsmen wouldn't be able to survive the remaining 30 overs or so of play.

I like my plan better than the current plan which carries a much more realistic chance of losing.

But Cummins has "moved the game forward" and will be applauded by the commentators at least.
    FA Andrew Hardegen
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    Curious decision by Australia to bat again and declare the second innings after only 22 overs, rather than enforcing the follow-on. I guess the concern with enforcing the follow-on would have been something along the lines of (i) Pakistan might score 550, and (ii) the pitch might then suddenly disintegrate into a minefield once Pakistan finish batting on it, and that then (iii) the Australian batsmen wouldn't be able to survive the remaining 30 overs or so of play.

I like my plan better than the current plan which carries a much more realistic chance of losing.

But Cummins has "moved the game forward" and will be applauded by the commentators at least.
    I thought Australia batting again was not the best way forward. They managed to get reverse swing going on Day 3 and dismissed Pakistan out for 148. Surely the best time to try and exploit those conditions would have been right then and there. Send them back in again. They needed 408 to make Australia bat again.

Also, Australia have shown in the last few years a concerning trend of not being able to bowl teams out on the final day, which is what they were leaving themselves the task to do again.

Send Pakistan back in, go for the throat straight away. Especially when all Australia was doing was putting on another 100 runs. It is not like Australia were wanting to spend an extra day batting to give their bowlers a rest.

CC Grandmaster
    As predicted above, Australia failed to bowl Pakistan out on the final day, resulting in a draw.

Should be headed for a result in the 3rd test. Pakistan resume on day 5 at 0/78 chasing 351 for victory.

Pretty lean series for Warner, you'd have to say, given the pitches.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Pretty lean series for Warner, you'd have to say, given the pitches.
    Warner's results overseas in Test matches have almost always been lean. His spot is only regarded as safe because of his results in Australia. He will keep having poor results through the rest of the sub continent Test matches, there will be calls to review his spot, he will perform well again back in Australia, rinse repeat.

Lyon picks up 5 fer in the second innings, Cummins 3 to make 8/79 for the match and claim POTM. Khawaja's 596 runs at 165 avg good for POTS.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

Yes well done to Khawaja, Cummins, and the rest of the team.

Khawaja was top score in each Australian innings for the series (if you can count a not-out as trumping an out) which must be pretty rare (I'm sure someone will 'ask Steven' at Cricinfo to find out).

cheers

CC International Master
    Sadly Andrew Symonds has been killed in a single car accident, he was 46 years old.

CC International Master
    Watching the first test between England and NZ. England bowling very well to have NZ 4/12.

CC International Master
    Just watched the final day of the 2nd England - New Zealand test and it was brilliant. England easily chased down 299 thanks to one of the great chasing innings by Johnny Bairstow, 136 off 92 balls.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    England very impressive against NZ chasing down three fourth innings targets between 250-300 in a row.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Yes England have been very impressive chasing down totals especially since they have not be getting a great deal from their openers

Australia is due to play the first test against Sri lanka starting tomorrow. For some strange reason Jon Holland seems most likely to play as the second spinner ahead of Mitchell Swepson. Hopefully we are not going the English was of not playing leg spinners

Thread Information