Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned Arrogant-One's Avatar

Unethical Organisers and Tournament Directors

I would like to take this opportunity to complain about unethical tournament directors who profiteer from running tournaments. They diminish the game by doing so and lower the morale of all chess players who play for a reduced prize fund as a result. The ACF needs to put clear rules in place to prevent this from occurring in the future. After reasonable expenses such as rent and maintenence, as well as the ACF and CAQ rating fees, the sum remaining should be divided by ten with one tenth going to the TD for his fee and nine tenth going to the prize fund. At the rate its going anyone can become rich just by running several chess tournaments - and some unnamed individuals certainly come to mind. It amounts to a guarenteed first prize for BOTH the winner of the Tournament AS WELL AS the Tournament Director/Organiser. This is a practice that must stop and the ACF should start taking it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One
    I would like to take this opportunity to complain about unethical tournament directors who profiteer from running tournaments. They diminish the game by doing so and lower the morale of all chess players who play for a reduced prize fund as a result. The ACF needs to put clear rules in place to prevent this from occurring in the future. After reasonable expenses such as rent and maintenence, as well as the ACF and CAQ rating fees, the sum remaining should be divided by ten with one tenth going to the TD for his fee and nine tenth going to the prize fund. At the rate its going anyone can become rich just by running several chess tournaments - and some unnamed individuals certainly come to mind. It amounts to a guarenteed first prize for BOTH the winner of the Tournament AS WELL AS the Tournament Director/Organiser. This is a practice that must stop and the ACF should start taking it seriously.
    name names (c)

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    name names (c)
    You know perfectly well who he's talking about.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC FIDE Master
    Shhh. You've let the cat out of the bag. Now everyone will give up their 30K to 50K jobs and become rich by running several chess tournaments a year. Who will be left to tend to the farms, heal the sick or run the country?

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Shhh. You've let the cat out of the bag. Now everyone will give up their 30K to 50K jobs and become rich by running several chess tournaments a year. Who will be left to tend to the farms, heal the sick or run the country?
    Hell, I'd leave a 30k job to do it... 30k is jack these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    You know perfectly well who he's talking about.
    do i im a tournament organiser?

By your standerds the organiser doesnt get to make any profit even a small one.

However more importantly no one is forcing you to play in these events.
    Therefore if you dont like the conditions dont play.
    That way if everyone else feels the same as you then the organiser wont make his "massive" profit.

Alex,

are u going to play in the COB starting on thursday at Brisbane Chess Club, i am the dop, so no massive money making scams

Havent we had this argument before and nothing came of it. Dont like the organiser, dont play in the tournament. Maybe that is why you wont play in the COB

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    I would like to take this opportunity to complain about unethical tournament directors who profiteer from running tournaments.
    ok whats the complaint and what is your proof that tournament directors are unethical or profiteers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-one
    They diminish the game by doing so and lower the morale of all chess players who play for a reduced prize fund as a result.
    That may be so but how do they do it, what practices are you talking about?
    The ACF needs to put clear rules in place to prevent this from occurring in the future.
    What is occuring, please tell us.
    After reasonable expenses such as rent and maintenence, as well as the ACF and CAQ rating fees, the sum remaining should be divided by ten with one tenth going to the TD for his fee and nine tenth going to the prize fund.
    Maybe, I still do not understand the extent of the problem, but expenses may be a bit more then that, they may include printing,advertising, clock maintenace, insurance, power etc.
    At the rate its going anyone can become rich just by running several chess tournaments - and some unnamed individuals certainly come to mind.
    Trust me its not a way to become rich, but I do agree that it could be a problem if the tournaments are unrated and there is no competition from other events.
    It amounts to a guarenteed first prize for BOTH the winner of the Tournament AS WELL AS the Tournament Director/Organiser.
    Please explain to us mexicans what is going on in Qld, AO
    This is a practice that must stop and the ACF should start taking it seriously.
    Maybe, but we can't decide based on the information you have given, nor can we give you any help until you clarify the position more clearly. Still it could become a very interesting thread AO

Cheers FG7

CC Grandmaster
    It's a troll. Ignore it and it might go back under it's bridge..

CC International Master
    Hear, hear.

CC Grandmaster
    Sheesh, the thread was quietly slipping below the waves and there you go bringing it right back up to the top!

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Sheesh, the thread was quietly slipping below the waves and there you go bringing it right back up to the top!
    Haha, nice bump GBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Haha, nice bump GBC.
    but no one is actually adding anything of quality to the thread

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    but no one is actually adding anything of quality to the thread
    I could but I'd like to keep my job.

Thread Information