View Poll Results: Should starter keep his competitiveness indexes in his competitiveness thread?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 66.67%
  • No

    4 22.22%
  • Don't care

    2 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935

    Should starter keep his competitiveness Indexes in his own thread?

    From zonal thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Must you post this rubbish in here.
    Cant you keep it in your so called "competitive thread"
    I for one wish that starter would keep his indexes to his own competitiveness thread. Maybe if enough people vote he might just do so!?
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  2. #2
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    ^
    TCN
    Are you just another wannabe MOD like Bill?




    You are a MOD.

    A democratic MOD. asking through a plebiscite.
    That is new for the BB.

    You have not been PMing fg7 for ideas have you?

    starter

  3. #3
    Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MCC
    Posts
    2,809
    Hi,

    Can't claim any credit Starter, sorry. Although it is nice to see a democratic moderator. Makes a nice change.

    cheers Fg7

  4. #4
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    From zonal thread



    I for one wish that starter would keep his indexes to his own competitiveness thread. Maybe if enough people vote he might just do so!?
    TCN

    Well this turned out to be a lemon for you on the BG methodology didn't it. Only 5 posters FOR out of a possible 694 registered posters.
    I think Karthick will be on your wheel about wasting valuable server space by devoting a whole thread to this. And you a MOD. who should know better.

    starter

  5. #5
    Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MCC
    Posts
    2,809
    Dear Starter,


    A good lesson in democracy. It dosen't have to be based on popularity, participation is a legitimate measurement.

    cheers FG7

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,075
    From looking at the current voting results, i see that DR is all on his own for no, could there be something in that for all of us

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    For someone who keeps track of numbers so closely starter sure could use a lesson in statistics.. and how to not misrepresent them.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  8. #8
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    For someone who keeps track of numbers so closely starter sure could use a lesson in statistics.. and how to not misrepresent them.
    BD

    Thanks BD.
    I have had my lesson already from Bill, who has used this tactic (of counting the VOTES in one direction and contrasting with the total population) on more than one issue.
    Feel free to take it up with him.

    Of course the contrast is invalid. No-one is fooled by the tactic; it is just that sometimes the tactic neeeds to be put in stark terms to emphasize how illegitimate the tactic is.


    Why (use the tactic) here? Because TCN created a whole thread as a knee-jerk-reaction to one of Bill's throw-away lines on the Zonal thread. I would have thought a MOD. would have been more disciplined as a poster.

    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 17-02-2005 at 07:07 AM.

  9. #9
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    BD
    Why (use the tactic) here? Because TCN created a whole thread as a knee-jerk-reaction to one of Bill's throw-away lines on the Zonal thread. I would have thought a MOD. would have been more disciplined as a poster.
    Knee jerk?

    I created this thread and poll because i actually strongly agree with Bill when he posted...

    Must you post this rubbish in here.
    Cant you keep it in your so called "competitive thread"
    And i wanted to see the opinions of other regular posters.... because there is no point in splitting a thread if people want the "competitive index" to stay in the thread.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  10. #10
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    TCN

    Well this turned out to be a lemon for you on the BG methodology didn't it. Only 5 posters FOR out of a possible 694 registered posters.
    I think Karthick will be on your wheel about wasting valuable server space by devoting a whole thread to this. And you a MOD. who should know better.

    starter
    the same could be said about your competitive index crap.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  11. #11
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Knee jerk?

    I created this thread and poll because i actually strongly agree with Bill when he posted...
    TCN

    Well you could have said you firmly agree after his post on the zonal. Creating a thread, with a poll, seems over the top.


    And i wanted to see the opinions of other regular posters.... because there is no point in splitting a thread if people want the "competitive index" to stay in the thread.
    Splitting which thread?

    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 17-02-2005 at 11:04 AM.

  12. #12
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    the same could be said about your competitive index crap.
    TCN

    On the contrary; I think Karthick is interested in traffic. The competitive thread has generated 615 posts and 7519 views; contrast with the thread you have started.


    starter

  13. #13
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    TCN

    Well you could have said you firmly agree after his post on the zonal. Creating a thread, with a poll, seems over the top.
    Thats your opinion. Not mine.


    Splitting which thread?

    starter
    At one stage i was tempted to split the zonal thread, ridding it of the competitiveness crap, creating another thread or dumping it in your competitiveness thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    TCN

    On the contrary; I think Karthick is interested in traffic. The competitive thread has generated 615......
    And how many of these posts are yours? How many of those that are not yours are strictly linked to the thread? I assume that at the start of this thread most of it is arguements as to how useful/useless/flawed the competitive index is.

    posts and 7519 views;
    Views to me means nothing. I click on a thread to get it off "unread". Doesn't mean i read the thread.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  14. #14
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    Well Starter. I think this poll has more respect than other polls floating around.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    At one stage i was tempted to split the zonal thread, ridding it of the competitiveness crap, creating another thread or dumping it in your competitiveness thread.
    TCN

    Before you start a campaign to split each and every thread at the slightest sign of a divergence from the title I invite you to read fg7's thread on thread-splitting. Not only were the merits of infrequent splitting well explained by a number experienced posters, but that thread itself would have had at least 6 splits based on your 'tempted' campaign.

    And how many of these posts are yours? How many of those that are not yours are strictly linked to the thread?
    You can do your own homework TCN; you have the tools.


    I assume that at the start of this thread most of it is arguements as to how useful/useless/flawed the competitive index is.
    You admit to not reading the thread, but you assume the content (to suit your point of view).

    starter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A little history from the Mexicans
    By firegoat7 in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 389
    Last Post: 30-11-2005, 01:58 PM
  2. Rules of thread splitting- basic rights
    By firegoat7 in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 23-02-2005, 08:37 AM
  3. Starter is famous!
    By Brian_Jones in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14-11-2004, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •