Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Why was www.mtbullerchess.com soooo bad?

Please tell me why www.mtbullerchess.com was so bad. I heard that the webmaster was getting paid for this. That's a joke. From day 1, the information has taken a long time to get up, it was only available in some huge long word document that took ages to come up and not in HTML format.

And during the event, the standings/crosstables weren't available. WHo is responsible fot this? THe information is very poorly set out, no photos. IT is a complete shambles. THere is nothing clear about it. On the first page you see when you load hte webpage, there is an article about eh Australian Open, what about the Australian Junior? Why wasn't there 2 links-1 to the Australian Open and 1 to the Australian Junior? WOuldn't that be clearer.

IT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE. KARTHIC YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED>

You cant just blame the organisers for this miserable effort, the whole website is a complete mess. There is no order or logic to it at all. It is all over the place. WHO AGREES?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    HAHAHAHA That is just funny ^^; I vote this post as best post of 2005. WHO AGREES?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    LOL, even funnier now that I know who you are.

Moderators, "Find IP Addresses for user" -> doc, "Depth" -> 2 and hit search. The results are extremely funny, especially if you remember the short debate about the website last year.

Should I post the results here or does someone want to take a guess who doc is first?
    Last edited by skip to my lou; 30-01-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    LOL, even funnier now that I know who you are.

Moderators, "Find IP Addresses for user" -> doc, "Depth" -> 2 and hit search. The results are extremely funny, especially if you remember the short debate about the website last year.

Should I post the results here or does someone want to take a guess who doc is first?

does he wear "corduroys"?

Mark

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    No.idea. @__@

Account Permanently Banned
    doc

The previous poster to ask a question about the logic of the site itself was banned.

Quick; make a copy of your 26 posts if any of them you want to preserve.

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    doc

The previous poster to ask a question about the logic of the site itself was banned.
    Who was that?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Who was that?

CC Candidate Master
    I'm not pointing the finger at anyone - mainly because others have done that very effectively including some organisers (doubtful whether that is an appropriate word in a number of cases) who have in advertently fingered themselves simply by posting. However, Ian Rout's words on the thread "Mt Buller web site wishlist" were prophetic.

"1. Prompt updates. Nothing kills the drama more than having to wait until the next morning or late into the day to get the results. Of course this is partly a function of the prioritisation by the organisers but the web design can help a lot by having a simple mechanism whereby any available pair of hands attached to a functioning brain with minimal training can enter results. I won't advocate any particular method as I'm sure you can think of a million ways to achieve it.

2. Games backup. The direct on-line transmission of games always fails so a simple mechanism by which a couple of games can quickly be manually posted is probably a good idea - just a designated page where new games would appear in text would do. Some people seem to expect all games to be available within seconds of a round finishing which is not feasible but on the other hand no games at all would be pretty poor, just a couple to amuse the slavering masses shouldn't be a huge effort.

3. Easy navigation. Important stuff to be obviously accessible from the front page, not having to go through half a dozen pull-down menus to get one table then do the same again for another etc."

And on the same thread STML advised that the games could have been uploaded to the site with the greatest of ease, ie the '03 arrangements. However, that obviously required that the paid "professional" responsible for this matter at the event:

(a) undertook the necessary risk management analysis, buzz phrase for "thinking it through", and prepared contingency plans just in case there was equipment failure;
    (b) had the necessary skills to upload the data; or, if not
    (b) required and was provided with the necessary training; or, if too complicated
    (c) sent the sp files to the web-master in a timely fashion, ie not 4am, and in a logically named structure;
    (d) actually structured their working day properly, as was apparently done in Adelaide, with the focus being on the provision of accurate and timely information.

So if I have read a number of posts accurately, STML could only place on the web-site what was provided from the Mt Buller end and only if that was provided in a logically structured manner if provided at all.

It appears it wasn't hence Ian's words came true.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison
    . . . including some organisers (doubtful whether that is an appropriate word in a number of cases) who have in advertently fingered themselves simply by posting.
    That sorta gives a new meaning to "wan.ke.r", doesn't it?

AR

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    The internet connection issue is being fixed. I'll be adding extra connections to make it fully redundant.

As I've stated before, the website engine is about 70% automated. The engine itself is not quite user friendly at the moment, which means I am probably the only one that can use it properly. It will be around 95% automated around March. Since it's 70% automated, I don't do much work after the tournament starts, in fact, the work I would do after the tournament starts can be calculated in seconds per day. If I have the information, it doesn't take long at all to publish it (as witnessed in 03).

The engine itself is getting better and better. It was using flat file text DB, then we used SPDE, both requires generation of files and then upload. It will soon be made so that you upload the SP files and the website displays all the relevant data. Theres also that photo album module I sat there coding because I thought I was going to get photos, not the mention the player profile module, or even chesslib (which is now one monster of a db search engine). Luckily it didn't go to waste; because it can be re-used, quite easily.

However, this system is completely useless if theres no input, as is any system. The processing capability is there and that at very high speed, where was the input?

Now I was not at all suprised by the Identity of the thread starter; it is so blatantly obvious, for me anyway.
    Last edited by skip to my lou; 30-01-2005 at 06:08 PM.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Username: doc
    Search Depth: 2
    Positive Matches: adelandre, AES
    I.e Alex Saint or Andrew Saint

I cannot be 100% sure which of the two doc is, but I am 99% sure.

Account Permanently Banned

The perfect web-site. Just a pity about the data.

Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    Who was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Who was that?
    Gee guys, are so many banned around here you lose track or sumfink?
    Do you forget what you do and why?
    Were they no clues at all to which banning I referred to?

Let me refresh you.
    A poster asks a question about the web-site just populated with some new information. The poster presses a button on the web-site and the info. does not match what K. has just posted in detail on this board re entries to Mt B.
    The poster asks for help to resolve the anomaly.

Oh no you don't says K.!!!
    You guys are using a shared PC...and that is just not allowable. No hot-desk (touch-down desks) allowed here. Oh no. Just monogamous PCs allowed. If more than one set of hands touches the key-board who knows what will happen.

K. looks around for his ON-OFF switch (it is the well-worn one just under his knuckle).

Out damned spot out. Only hours after the original post; such efficiency.

Oh. And the crime you ask? See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Commentator
    Seven entries can be viewed at confirmed entries.

starter

ps
    K.
    Can you leave the SAINTers active until tomorrow and the Punters Club will run a book on when you pull the pin.
    Last edited by ursogr8; 30-01-2005 at 06:54 PM.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Gee guys, are so many banned around here you lose track or sumfink?
    Do you forget what you do and why?
    Were they no clues at all to which banning I referred to?

Let me refresh you.
    A poster asks a question about the web-site just populated with some new information. The poster presses a button on the web-site and the info. does not match what K. has just posted in detail on this board re entries to Mt B.
    The poster asks for help to resolve the anomaly.

Oh no you don't says K.!!!
    You guys are using a shared PC...and that is just not allowable. No hot-desk (touch-down desks) allowed here. Oh no. Just monogamous PCs allowed. If more than one set of hands touches the key-board who knows what will happen.

K. looks around for his ON-OFF switch (it is the well-worn one just under his knuckle).

Out damned spot out.

Oh. And the crime you ask? See below.

starter

ps
    K.
    Can you leave the SAINTers active until tomorrow and the Punters Club will run a book on when you pull the pin.
    Why misrepresent the facts? The reason your other two accounts were banned is because you failed to give me a reasonable answer. I asked you: "Do you own Commentator and Thunk" and you just dodged the question.

If you suggest Commentator got banned because he (you?) questioned the website, then read above. There was no input, so there can not be any processing, nor output.

Multiple people are allowed to use the same PC and Internet Connection, all you have to do is respond to my query and say "Yes, my friends x and y are using it too"

You are a fool for deliberately mis-representing facts. The saint brothers will not be banned. Doc will be banned, after he is given sufficient time to respond, as you had been given.
    Last edited by skip to my lou; 30-01-2005 at 07:17 PM.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    > Gee guys, are so many banned around here you lose track or sumfink?

Gee starter, are so many fools around here you lose track or sumfink? Not many fools, just a few fools with many accounts.

Thread Information