Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NSWCA January Weekender

You would never know it, but there is (apparently) a NSWCA weekender being played at North Sydney Leagues yesterday and today.

Perhaps the NSWCA wanted to try to keep the numbers playing as low as possible, considering that this is the first post (start of thread) on this tournament (as I type it is mostly over - the final round starts at 4pm today!!!). Regardless of who is responsible, it is disgraceful that this post of mine is the first bit of publicity (albeit somewhat negative) for this event!

Maybe there has been a low player turn out to to the exorbitant entry fees (for those who did not pay up before 25/1/05) and the NSWCA are embarrassed?

Why did I not play even though I had this weekend free? Well, two main reasons:
    1) Due to not knowing wheteher or not I would have this weekend free until Thursday 27/1/05 afternoon, I would have had to pay a rip-off (for a run of the mill weekender) entry fee of $75 (keep in mind that the prize money is $2330 based on a minimum of 64 players). $75 entry fee is poor value for money for a run of the mill weekender even for someone relatively well off financially like myself - what must pensioners etc think?
    2) I object to the NSWCA supporting the dead horse of the GP. I have said enough about this in other threads, so I won't repeat myself here. As a result, I have made a decision not to play in any GP weekenders this year due to the shemozzle of the GP over the last 2 years (although I may make an exception for the Doeberl Cup). I reckon that the NSWCA would have got more entries if it had advertised the tournament as having $2500 in prize money and NO GP category rating (instead of $2330 and Category 2 GP rating). I am not prepared to prop up this GP farce whereby the ACF rips off Australian chess players any more and as a NSWCA member I object to the NSWCA supporting this farce!

Anyway, why has nobody running this tournament bothered to publicise this NSWCA January Weekender event on the BB and elsewhere?

What are the results, how many players, who is arbiter, any incidents etc etc with this event? Or is this expecting too much? Is anyone interested? Does anyone care? Well, it seems that nobody else can be bothered with this event, so why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    You would never know it, but there is (apparently) a NSWCA weekender being played at North Sydney Leagues yesterday and today.

Perhaps the NSWCA wanted to try to keep the numbers playing as low as possible, considering that this is the first post (start of thread) on this tournament (as I type it is mostly over - the final round starts at 4pm today!!!). Regardless of who is responsible, it is disgraceful that this post of mine is the first bit of publicity (albeit somewhat negative) for this event!
    Why doesnt this surprise me.
    Last year you complained about the time limits and the number of rounds.
    We reduced the time limits and increased the round numbers.
    Seems you just cant be satisfied.

Maybe there has been a low player turn out to to the exorbitant entry fees (for those who did not pay up before 25/1/05) and the NSWCA are embarrassed?
    What a load of uninformed rubbish.
    The NSWCA Council determined to offer early entry fees lower for this year than for last year. It is $55 this year and $60 last year. We did however decided to increase the fee for those that failed to enter esarly. It was $75 this year and $70 last year.
    We did however increase the junior fee from $30 last year to $44 for early entry and from $40 to $60 this year as the junior fees were to low.

Why did I not play even though I had this weekend free? Well, two main reasons:
    1) Due to not knowing wheteher or not I would have this weekend free until Thursday 27/1/05 afternoon, I would have had to pay a rip-off (for a run of the mill weekender) entry fee of $75 (keep in mind that the prize money is $2330 based on a minimum of 64 players). $75 entry fee is poor value for money for a run of the mill weekender even for someone relatively well off financially like myself - what must pensioners etc think?
    A completely misrepresentation of the situation.
    The NSWCA has only ever required pre-registration to get the early entry not pre-payment. As an ex NSWCA Council member you are well aware of this.
    In fact I even pointed this out to you when you raised it at the NSWCA AGM.

2) I object to the NSWCA supporting the dead horse of the GP. I have said enough about this in other threads, so I won't repeat myself here. As a result, I have made a decision not to play in any GP weekenders this year due to the shemozzle of the GP over the last 2 years (although I may make an exception for the Doeberl Cup). I reckon that the NSWCA would have got more entries if it had advertised the tournament as having $2500 in prize money and NO GP category rating (instead of $2330 and Category 2 GP rating). I am not prepared to prop up this GP farce whereby the ACF rips off Australian chess players any more and as a NSWCA member I object to the NSWCA supporting this farce!
    Yes, well your non support/criticism of the GP is well known.
    The NSWCA Council supports the ACF GP.

Anyway, why has nobody running this tournament bothered to publicise this NSWCA January Weekender event on the BB and elsewhere?
    Although it wasnt advertised here to suggest the NSWCA didnt advertise this event widely is untrue.

The NSWCA snail mailed each and every recent member and past member with actual details of the event in a mailout prior to new year.

They have since then emailed all NSWCA members with an email adress as a reminder.

The event has been advertised for over a month on the NSWCA website.
    It has been advertised in every ACF Bulletin since #298 of 22nd December.
    I havent seen it but I believe Peter Parr advertised in in last Mondays SMH.

What are the results, how many players, who is arbiter, any incidents etc etc with this event? Or is this expecting too much? Is anyone interested? Does anyone care? Well, it seems that nobody else can be bothered with this event, so why should I?
    It is a weekender.
    I would expect the results up early this week on the NSW website.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 30-01-2005 at 04:16 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    I heard it managed to attract an incredibly small turnout of 82 players, which is one of the largest Sydney weekender roll ups I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    I heard it managed to attract an incredibly small turnout of 82 players, which is one of the largest Sydney weekender roll ups I can recall.
    Thanks for the feedback, Shaun.
    We had hoped the lower entry fee for adults and reasonable prize money would attract a good turn-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Why doesnt this surprise me.
    Last year you complained about the time limits and the number of rounds.
    We reduced the time limits and increased the round numbers.
    Seems you just cant be satisfied.
    Yes, OK, I'll admit I was focussing too much on the negatives in my post.

Yes, making it 7 rounds and a reduced time limit (to make it playable over 2 days) for this year was a positive step (compared to the silly schedule of last year).

Still, this doesn't excuse why nobody involved with the running of this tournament gave it no publicity at all on this forum!

What a load of uninformed rubbish.
    The NSWCA Council determined to offer early entry fees lower for this year than for last year. It is $55 this year and $60 last year. We did however decided to increase the fee for those that failed to enter esarly. It was $75 this year and $70 last year.
    We did however increase the junior fee from $30 last year to $44 for early entry and from $40 to $60 this year as the junior fees were to low.
    A $20 differential between registering a few days before the event and turning up on the day (or registering after 25/1/05) for a weekender is excessive. A $10 discount is sufficient. A $75 entry fee (for $2330 prize fund based on 64 players) is too much (especially for average rated players) for a run of the mill weekender.

A completely misrepresentation of the situation.
    The NSWCA has only ever required pre-registration to get the early entry not pre-payment. As an ex NSWCA Council member you are well aware of this.
    In fact I even pointed this out to you when you raised it at the NSWCA AGM.
    Maybe so. However, the way the entry form looks, it appears that one has to post a cheque (ie pre-pay) with the entry form to get the early discount. Maybe the NSWCA should clear up the wording on their entry forms? I know that when I was handling NSWCA tournament enquiries for about 6 months in 2003 that some players had (understandably) been under this impression.

Yes, well your non support/criticism of the GP is well known.
    The NSWCA Council supports the ACF GP.
    If it was run as it was in 2002 (eg regular GP updates on the website) I would be quite happy for NSWCA events to be part of the GP. However, the GP is now too far gone due to its neglect over the last 2 years and therefore should no longer be supported by the NSWCA.

Although it wasnt advertised here to suggest the NSWCA didnt advertise this event widely is untrue.

The NSWCA snail mailed each and every recent member and past member with actual details of the event in a mailout prior to new year.

They have since then emailed all NSWCA members with an email adress as a reminder.

The event has been advertised for over a month on the NSWCA website.
    It has been advertised in every ACF Bulletin since #298 of 22nd December.
    I havent seen it but I believe Peter Parr advertised in in last Mondays SMH..
    I was referring to the BB (nothing about the January Weekender until my post) and email (I did not receive an email about this event, so I would presume that others would not have got one either). I should have made this clearer in my original post.

It is a weekender.
    I would expect the results up early this week on the NSW website.
    I am sure they will be.
    Last edited by Paul S; 31-01-2005 at 12:03 AM.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    there was a number of drop-outs.... ended up being something like 78-79 (or maybe 80) by the end. A lot of names i havent seen before.

There was also a visiting IM who played..... I think he was one of the 3 who got equal first.......
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Hi Shaun

If that is the case then that is a good result (for a Sydney weekender) and I can be prepared to live with a bit of "egg on my face" under these circumstances!

However, us Sydneysiders still have a way to go to reach the dizzy heights of what you Canberrans have achieved with the Doeberl as far as player numbers go! Anyway, there is a good chance I will see you in Canberra this Easter!

Hello Trent,

Can you tell me who was dop so I can get the sp files for 2005 gp points.

Cheers,

Garvin

Lee Forace was dop but i think it may have been norm greenwood's machine that was used.
    GO THE DRAGONS!

CC Grandmaster
    It's a weekender for crying out loud - what do you want, live blow by blow updates?

Anyone who wants to play a weekender is not going to come here for info if they have any brains. The info has been available on the NSWCA website for months, and was posted several times on the ACF newsletter. Even someone like me who hasn't played a weekender in about 8 years (until this weekend) managed to know about it.

The visiting IM Emil Ungoreanu (sp?) lost twice on the first day, and didn't show up for the second. Three players finished first on 6 points: FM Erasmus Gerigk (GER), Pedro Tidoy (PHI), and Ronald Yu. Pedro played an incredible combo to beat Erasmus in the last round to catch up after he looked like running away with the tournament.

You played in the tournament?

Did i play you?
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Yes, OK, I'll admit I was focussing too much on the negatives in my post.

Yes, making it 7 rounds and a reduced time limit (to make it playable over 2 days) for this year was a positive step (compared to the silly schedule of last year).

Still, this doesn't excuse why nobody involved with the running of this tournament gave it no publicity at all on this forum!
    Simple the NSWCA Council advertised it widely through various other channels.

A $20 differential between registering a few days before the event and turning up on the day (or registering after 25/1/05) for a weekender is excessive. A $10 discount is sufficient.
    the council does not see it as excessive. the aim is to discourage people from entering late.
    A $10 late fee does not encourage enough people to enter early.
    As such dont expect a change.

A $75 entry fee (for $2330 prize fund based on 64 players) is too much (especially for average rated players) for a run of the mill weekender.
    Stop misrepresenting the situation.
    The entry fee is $55. The late fee is $75.

Maybe so. However, the way the entry form looks, it appears that one has to post a cheque (ie pre-pay) with the entry form to get the early discount. Maybe the NSWCA should clear up the wording on their entry forms? I know that when I was handling NSWCA tournament enquiries for about 6 months in 2003 that some players had (understandably) been under this impression.
    Be that as it may thats not what you said.
    You said:
    Due to not knowing wheteher or not I would have this weekend free until Thursday 27/1/05 afternoon, I would have had to pay a rip-off (for a run of the mill weekender) entry fee of $75
    That satement has no basis in fact as you well knew you could pre-enter without paying.
    Therefore as far as I am concerned it was just an attempted beatup on your part.

If it was run as it was in 2002 (eg regular GP updates on the website) I would be quite happy for NSWCA events to be part of the GP. However, the GP is now too far gone due to its neglect over the last 2 years and therefore should no longer be supported by the NSWCA.
    Your thoughts on the GP are well known.
    However the NSWCA Council runs chess in NSW not you and the NSWCA Council supports it.

I was referring to the BB (nothing about the January Weekender until my post) and email (I did not receive an email about this event, so I would presume that others would not have got one either). I should have made this clearer in my original post.
    Again you are trying to get out from under what you said.
    You made it quite clear you were talking about advertising other than just the BB otherwise you would not have used the word "elsewhere" when you said:
    As such your suggestion that you only really meant the BB rings hollow.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    You played in the tournament?

Did i play you?
    Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Round 1
    I thought so.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Code:
    1  Gerigk, Erasmus       OS    2280 6     38:W 39:W 15:W  3:W  4:W  7:W  2:L
    2  Tidoy, Pedro          OS    2226 6     59:W 32:W 14:W  8:L 11:W  9:W  1:W
    3  Yu, Ronald            NSW   2092 6     46:W 29:W 31:W  1:L 26:W 12:W  7:W
    4  Rej, Tomek            NSW   2225 5.5   16:W 23:W 22:W  9:W  1:L  8:W  5:D
    5  Hu, Jason             NSW   1873 5.5    0:W 19:W  8:L 17:W 28:W 10:W  4:D
    6  Bautista, Edgar       OS    1870 5.5   69:W 41:D 21:L 54:W 45:W 28:W 15:W
    7  Tan, Justin           NSW   2257 5     47:W 43:W 26:W 10:W  8:W  1:L  3:L
    8  Zvedeniouk, Ilia      NSW   1978 5     52:W 36:W  5:W  2:W  7:L  4:L 32:W
    9  Yap, Aaron            NSW   1892 5     35:W 44:W 68:W  4:L 27:W  2:L 25:W
    10 Murray, Bruce D       NSW   1990 5     49:W 37:W 27:W  7:L 22:W  5:L 20:W
    11 Fitzpatrick, Brian    ACT   1927 5     66:W 13:D 41:W 21:W  2:L 25:D 29:W
    12 O'chee, Kevin         NSW   1983 5     21:D 50:W 45:W 20:D 23:W  3:L 24:W
    13 Mendes Da Costa, Alex NSW   1877 5      0:W 11:D 20:L 59:W 39:W 24:D 21:W
    14 Suttor, Vincent       NSW   1904 5     63:W 76:W  2:L 36:W 24:D 20:D 22:W
    15 Stojic, Danny         NSW   1968 4.5   64:W 40:W  1:L 37:W 20:D 38:W  6:L
    16 Hoole, Jeyaranjan     ACT   1524 4.5    4:L 71:W 19:W 39:D 21:D 27:W 31:D
    17 Wu, Edwin             NSW   1584 4.5   75:W 26:L 34:W  5:L 53:W 31:D 39:W
    18 Adler, Nathan         NSW   1263 4.5   23:L 58:L 50:W 47:W 36:W 30:D 40:W
    19 Grcic, Milan          ACT   1841 4.5   65:W  5:L 16:L 69:W 58:W 23:D 38:W
    20 Chan, Owen            NSW   1835 4     53:W 25:D 13:W 12:D 15:D 14:D 10:L
    21 Illingworth, Max      NSW   1839 4     12:D 60:W  6:W 11:L 16:D 44:W 13:L
    22 Bautista, Elpidio     NSW   1850 4      0:W 28:W  4:L 66:W 10:L 37:W 14:L
    23 Ali, Mosaddeque       ACT   1734 4     18:W  4:L 49:W 68:W 12:L 19:D 30:D
    24 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab    ACT   1578 4     42:L 65:W 35:W 31:W 14:D 13:D 12:L
    25 Escribano, Jose       NSW   1611 4     34:W 20:D  0:D  0:D 33:W 11:D  9:L
    26 Yu, Michael           NSW   1859 4     73:W 17:W  7:L 46:W  3:L 29:L 47:W
    27 Paxman, Jonathan      WA    1790 4     56:W 33:W 10:L 48:W  9:L 16:L 46:W
    28 Bolens, Johny         NSW   2109 4     58:W 22:L 47:W 29:W  5:L  6:L 44:W
    29 Tse, Jeffrey          NSW   1729 4     61:W  3:L 69:W 28:L 46:W 26:W 11:L
    30 Redgrave, John        NSW   1790 4      0:W 68:L 38:D 41:W 32:D 18:D 23:D
    31 Dunn, Michael Gl      NSW   1832 4     51:W 72:W  3:L 24:L 64:W 17:D 16:D
    32 Slidziunas, John      TAS   1737 4     77:W  2:L 64:W 33:D 30:D 48:W  8:L
    33 Bollaart, Jeroen      OS    1801 4     50:W 27:L 44:W 32:D 25:L 43:D 48:W
    34 Wong, Yan             NSW        4     25:L 73:W 17:L 35:W 44:L 51:W 59:W
    35 Kresinger, Frank      NSW   1489 4      9:L 55:W 24:L 34:L 74:W 61:W 45:W
    36 Reynolds, Paul J      NSW   1636 4     67:W  8:L 72:W 14:L 18:L 65:W 55:W
    37 Pickering, Anthony    NSW   1657 4     74:W 10:L 62:W 15:L 66:W 22:L 49:W
    38 Keuning, Anthony V    NSW   1600 3.5    1:L 51:W 30:D 40:W 68:+ 15:L 19:L
    39 Doan, Peter           NSW   1772 3.5   54:W  1:L 58:W 16:D 13:L 52:W 17:L
    40 Descallar, Levi       NSW   1757 3.5   57:W 15:L 52:D 38:L 42:W 41:W 18:L
    41 Mandla, Blair         NSW   1614 3.5   70:W  6:D 11:L 30:L 59:W 40:L 58:W
    42 Whiteside, Benjamin   NSW        3.5   24:W 45:L 48:L 51:W 40:L 64:W 43:D
    43 Rachmadi, Herman      NSW   1665 3.5   71:W  7:L 46:L 65:W 49:D 33:D 42:D
    44 Low, Frank            NSW   1609 3     55:W  9:L 33:L 56:W 34:W 21:L 28:L
    45 Kordahi, Nicholas     NSW   1741 3     60:D 42:W 12:L 52:W  6:L 49:D 35:L
    46 Losh, Gary            NSW   1524 3      3:L 77:W 43:W 26:L 29:L 56:W 27:L
    47 Dickson, Ian C        NSW   1560 3      7:L 56:W 28:L 18:L 54:W 53:W 26:L
    48 Troshenkova, Irina    NSW   1573 3     68:L 53:W 42:W 27:L 55:W 32:L 33:L
    49 Sewell, Rob           NSW   1511 3     10:L 61:W 23:L 72:W 43:D 45:D 37:L
    50 Forbath, Alex         NSW   1633 3     33:L 12:L 18:L 57:L 67:W 74:W 60:W
    51 Tracey, Michael J     NSW   1454 3     31:L 38:L 75:W 42:L 57:W 34:L 70:W
    52 Nichas, John          NSW   1595 3      8:L 74:W 40:D 45:L 73:W 39:L 54:D
    53 Adler, David          NSW   1397 3     20:L 48:L 74:W 76:+ 17:L 47:L 64:W
    54 Cohn, Jason           NSW   1362 3     39:L 59:D 60:W  6:L 47:L 73:W 52:D
    55 Phillips, Andrew      NSW        3     44:L 35:L 71:W 63:W 48:L 66:W 36:L
    56 Parker, Trent         NSW   1367 3     27:L 47:L 67:W 44:L 75:W 46:L 66:W
    57 Guo, Emma             ACT   1060 3     40:L 64:L 63:L 50:W 51:L 72:W 65:W
    58 Greenwood, Norman     NSW   1518 2.5   28:L 18:W 39:L 62:W 19:L 60:D 41:L
    59 Boyce, Jamie          NSW   1547 2.5    2:L 54:D 70:W 13:L 41:L 62:W 34:L
    60 Soltysik, Adelaide    NSW   1215 2.5   45:D 21:L 54:L 77:D 63:W 58:D 50:L
    61 Schuetz, Fred         NSW   1260 2.5   29:L 49:L 65:L 67:W 70:W 35:L 63:D
    62 Zaja, Tomislav        NSW   938  2.5   76:L  0:W 37:L 58:L 69:D 59:L 74:W
    63 Ross, Bill            NSW   1482 2.5   14:L 70:L 57:W 55:L 60:L 75:W 61:D
    64 Korbe, Heinrich       NSW   1489 2     15:L 57:W 32:L 70:W 31:L 42:L 53:L
    65 Wills, Colin          NSW   1424 2     19:L 24:L 61:W 43:L 72:W 36:L 57:L
    66 Szeto, Jonathan       NSW   1484 2     11:L 67:W 76:W 22:L 37:L 55:L 56:L
    67 Beaven, Dieter        OS         2     36:L 66:L 56:L 61:L 50:L 69:W  0:W
    68 Ungureanu, Emil       OS    2373 2     48:W 30:W  9:L 23:L 38:-  0:L  0: 
    69 Parsons, Colin J      NSW   1381 2      6:L 75:W 29:L 19:L 62:D 67:L 72:D
    70 Mccormack, Daniel     NSW        2     41:L 63:W 59:L 64:L 61:L 71:W 51:L
    71 Baldwin, A(Tony) C    NSW   1413 2     43:L 16:L 55:L 74:L 77:+ 70:L 75:W
    72 Tsui, Edison          NSW   755  1.5    0:W 31:L 36:L 49:L 65:L 57:L 69:D
    73 Karayi, Valsalan      NSW   1426 1.5   26:L 34:L 77:W  0:D 52:L 54:L  0: 
    74 Frerer, Samantha      NSW   941  1     37:L 52:L 53:L 71:W 35:L 50:L 62:L
    75 Soltysik, Sebastian   NSW   840  1     17:L 69:L 51:L  0:W 56:L 63:L 71:L
    76 Nicholson, Scott      NSW   1649 1     62:W 14:L 66:L 53:-  0:L  0:   0: 
    77 Exler, Rudolf         NSW   1323 .5    32:L 46:L 73:L 60:D 71:-  0:L  0:

Thread Information