Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grants for Chess Clubs

Hi all

http://www.grantslink.gov.au/index.htm

is the website to get all the info on Govt grants. Can be a bit tricky to find what you are looking for but easier than trawling every Departmental website.

Thought I'd mention it now as there is a new round of Volunteer Small equipment Grants closing on 4 March.

I heard about the 2004 round of Volunteer Small Equipment Grants when I went to the ACT Sport & Rec Club Development Sessions. Many Clubs there had obtained the grants. They are not "chess" grants (ie not for chess sets really) they are for things your Club volunteers require. For us (ACTJCL) that may mean an application for a laptop & printer, USB flash drive, demo boards for coaches, prepaid mobile phone for our main playing venue (we have no public phone), noticeboard, kitchen equipment etc.

Maximum grant is $3000 but they seem to prefer approving many small grants rather than large ones. You can apply for $3000 in stuff and they may only approve some smaller expenditures and put a line through the big ticket requests.

Blurb is -

Organisations can apply for grants to buy small equipment items that support the work of volunteers by making it easier, safer and/or more enjoyable. Under the Volunteer Small Equipment Grants 2005, priority will be given to organisations that: - have relatively small operating budgets with limited funding resources and a relatively high volunteer to staff ratio; - demonstrate that their requested equipment will provide maximum benefit to all their volunteers by making their work safer, easier and/or more enjoyable; -demonstrate that the organisation's work supports families and/or strengthens their local communities; -have requested equipment that will have maximum benefit in the local community for a small outlay; and -have not received funding under VSEG 2003 or VSEG 2004. Previous applicants will need to reapply.
    Website & applications http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facs...rants_2005.htm

Aside from anything else (and the fact that ACTJCL wants money so you shouldn't clog up the application lists ) - a Chess Club applying for these grants & awards is a profile building exercise in itself. This is FREE money - you do not have to match the grant from Club funds (although you do have to acquit it obviously). You also get into the networks to find out about future grants and can make useful connections.

ACT Sport & Rec must mirror a lot of what is available in other states. We regularly apply for their stuff so check out what you might be able to get as well.

For example, this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/developm.../fundgrnt.html our players going to World Youth apply for, and receive, the Individual Travel Assistance.

this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/developm...ts/fundog.html we are applying for a Women's Grant (missed out in 2004 but try, try again)

this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/developm...ch/coawds.html we participate in the "thanks" program (even receiving two Industry awards in 2003)

this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/developm...rds/awdsr.html we won a 2002 Industry Award for Innovation. We also nominated ourselves for the 2003 and will nominate ourselves for 2004 Awards. Apart from a yummy free lunch - HUGE media, govt and industry networking opportunity.

Libby

Thankyou Libby,

I wish for more people like you in the chess community...sharing and helping.

Thanks Libby! I put our application in yesterday as soon as I saw your post. Its a really easy application process, only took me about 20 minutes online (once I organised our new club an ABN and a TFN through the business portal, which I hadn't bothered to do yet!). Really appreciate you sharing the information.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Thanks Libby! I put our application in yesterday as soon as I saw your post. Its a really easy application process, only took me about 20 minutes online (once I organised our new club an ABN and a TFN through the business portal, which I hadn't bothered to do yet!). Really appreciate you sharing the information.
    How did you go Frosty?

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

libby!

as a generally somewhat impractical person myself, i am not only in unholy awe of you, but also in dire need to sincerely thankyou for such timely and valuable direction, like all the most brilliant of insights this one cries out to be heard as it cuts through the wastelands of sub-priority. Simple. "obvious" , yet oft overlooked.

CC FIDE Master

Libby's Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    Thankyou Libby,

I wish for more people like you in the chess community...sharing and helping.
    We need more like Libby in Australian chess. At Mt Buller I chatted with her over the phone and described her as a "Breath of fresh air into ACT Chess"

She replied with a classic... "At least I'm not a fart!"
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    How did you go Frosty?
    No word yet. Its been 6 weeks since applications closed, so I'm assuming that we were not successful. Did anyone else apply for their chess club and, if so, we're you successful?

Or perhaps, with a bit of luck, the notifications haven't gone out yet?
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Frosty,

I applied and have not heard anything yet. I had a problem with the last question (the form didnt want to accept it), did you?

Cheers Fg7

P.S I want to thank Libby for providing this link.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    I was watching SBS the other day and apparently they have some grants for sporting clubs for equipment etc. If i remember correctly there is a link from the sbs homepage. One may try to get their chess club a grant.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facs...rants_2005.htm says

All applicants are encouraged to check this website for future updates as a list of successful organisations will be published here.
    As an ex-public servant, I wouldn't necessarily think I was unsuccessful if I hadn't heard anything in 6 weeks I have no idea what the turn around is on this particular grant. It is a national program so they may well have a lot of "paper" to shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    I was watching SBS the other day and apparently they have some grants for sporting clubs for equipment etc. If i remember correctly there is a link from the sbs homepage. One may try to get their chess club a grant.....
    Link is http://www.sportscover.com/sponsorship.html

Quote Originally Posted by Liberaci
    We need more like Libby in Australian chess. At Mt Buller I chatted with her over the phone and described her as a "Breath of fresh air into ACT Chess"

She replied with a classic... "At least I'm not a fart!"
    As I recall Lee, you were sure you misheard me at the time

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Thanks Trent - I've just put in my (ACTJCL) application. It's an online application and not too tricky. There are four rounds of grants and one apllication is valid for all four rounds. First round closes tomorrow if you want to get in for that one. Will we win? Not sure what the profile is for this sort of grant but the website says -

Thank you for your application.It has been submitted to the SSF judging panel.
    To find out if you have been successful, please watch Toyota World Sports on SBS on:

Round 1: 16th May – 7pm
    Round 2: 25th July – 7pm
    Round 3: 3rd October – 7pm
    Round 4: 12th December – 7pm
    Also this list of 2004 recipients http://www.sportscover.com/ssf_ben_list.html doesn't suggest to me that you need to be very high powered to apply.
    Last edited by Libby; 14-04-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Frosty, I applied and have not heard anything yet. I had a problem with the last question (the form didnt want to accept it), did you?
    I don't remember having a problem at the time ... but I have FINALLY found my printed copy of the application after about 15 minutes of frantic searching (because I usually am very thorough about filing and administration and couldn't work out where the bally thing was hiding). I eventually found it buried 1/2 way down in my "Marketing and Promotions" file. No idea how it got there ... but alls well that ends well and it now has its own file in the "Grants" section of the filing cabinet. So, enough of my anal retentive nature vis-a-vis filing ...

The last question that I have here was #18 "Do you give consent for the Department .... blah, blah, blah ...?" to which I answered "Yes". That's it.

Perhaps you mean't the question before, #17, which was to do with partnerships with business, government and other community organisations? There was a rather more wordy response to that, but again, I don't recall having a problem with it at the time.

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Dear Frosty,

The first from was fine. It was the costing form afterwoods that was the problem. It didnt seem to allow me to multiply the cost at the ending. What I did was mention this in the disclaimer box, so hopefully somebody can understand why i left the total blank.

Cheers Fg7

Thread Information