Round 7 - 7.00pm Thursday 17 March

Time controls 40 moves in 70 minutes plus 30 seconds per move
    then game in 15 minutes plus 30 seconds per move

Entry fee
    $50
    $40 concession
    $10 late fee for entries not received and paid by 5 pm 3 February

Special conditions
    All players must be members of CAQ. Non-members may join prior to start of play (annual fee $10)
    Before the tournament commences a player may request a half-point bye in any one of the first five rounds

Entries/enquiries
    CAQ Inc
    PO Box 5014
    Mt Gravatt East Qld 4122
    Tel: 3411 3445
    Fax: 3349 2745
    email: garvingray@optusnet.com.au
    Direct bank deposit of entry fee may be made to CAQ account
    with National Bank -
    BSB: 084-120
    Account No: 20501-7068
    Account name: Chess Association of Queensland Inc
    As reference, quote COB plus your name

link to caq advert: http://www.caq.org.au/htm/cobad.htm
    Last edited by Garvinator; 29-01-2005 at 01:43 PM.

I have one question about the time control:
    I have been playing around with the red dgt2000 and have been trying to set this time control. I want to know, do I have to preset the 40 move time control? I dont seem to be able to get the timer to add the second 15 minutes unless I set the move counter. Is there a way around that using the previously advertised time control?

I have been using option 23 and 25 on the red dgt clocks. Maybe other ideas
    Last edited by Garvinator; 29-01-2005 at 01:55 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Afaik, the DGT clocks only add the time for the second time control after one of the players has used up all his time for the first control. If you were testing this by merely pressing the lever forty times back and forth, that may be the source of the (perceived) problem, as the time would not be added yet. If I could find my DGT somewhere in the basement, I could tell you just which buttons to press.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_vee
    Afaik, the DGT clocks only add the time for the second time control after one of the players has used up all his time for the first control. If you were testing this by merely pressing the lever forty times back and forth, that may be the source of the (perceived) problem, as the time would not be added yet. If I could find my DGT somewhere in the basement, I could tell you just which buttons to press.
    With the DGTXL mode 13 adds the 30 sec after every move as compared with modes 17 and 18 where the 30 sec inc begins after the first time control (which doesn't make sense unless a default number of moves is factored in because if you had to use up your first time amount before you got your second one you'd lose on time ... does that make sense?)

Option 00 allows manual settings.

However I wonder why there isn't something like a usb key and a slot universal to all DGT's so a tournament director can program a particular time control setting into one DGT (the master) then take the usb key and zap it into all the others ... instead of twiddling with all the buttons.

Perhaps in the next version ...

Mark.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaro
    With the DGTXL mode 13 adds the 30 sec after every move as compared with modes 17 and 18 where the 30 sec inc begins after the first time control (which doesn't make sense unless a default number of moves is factored in because if you had to use up your first time amount before you got your second one you'd lose on time ... does that make sense?)
    Mark.
    I have to admit, I don't know the dgt XL. But the question was about the older dgt2000 :-). Any control involving an internal move-counter is difficult in my opinion, as the counter will easily get misaligned with the actual game (timescrambles, taking back illegal moves, forgetting to press the clock, etc.). This can be handled, but requires much more attention from the arbiter (and probably a greater number of them).

Quote Originally Posted by jay_vee
    I have to admit, I don't know the dgt XL. But the question was about the older dgt2000 :-). Any control involving an internal move-counter is difficult in my opinion, as the counter will easily get misaligned with the actual game (timescrambles, taking back illegal moves, forgetting to press the clock, etc.). This can be handled, but requires much more attention from the arbiter (and probably a greater number of them).
    yes exactly, the question was about the dgt2000 hey Skaro, if you can give us 20 dgtxl's we will use them

Jay vee, Basically my testing involved not using the move counter to start with, setting the first time control to about 2 minutes plus a 5 second increment, pressing the lever a couple of times and then letting the time run out, hoping that the second time control would add on when the first time control ran out.

Unfortunately what happened was that as soon as the first time control ran out, it flagged and came up with the minus sign

As soon as I tested it with the move counter, then it worked and the extra time added on once the right number of moves were made.

Can anyone else answer if I have set something wrong?

Think that start date is wrong Garvin...

Correction to the start date for the City of Brisbane Championship

City of Brisbane Championship
    Seven consecutive Thursdays starting 7.00pm 3 February
    Brisbane Chess Club
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Think that start date is wrong Garvin...

Correction to the start date for the City of Brisbane Championship

City of Brisbane Championship
    Seven consecutive Thursdays starting 7.00pm 3 February
    Brisbane Chess Club
    it was originally 10th February, then Ian just went and changed it to the 3rd after speaking to Pat. I thought I was the tournament officer, but oh well.

The dates I advertised were correct at the time of printing.

So hadn't you better edit that first post?

Hurry, there's only ten mins left! (stupid editing timeframe).

So hadn't you better edit that first post?

Hurry, there's only ten mins left! (stupid editing timeframe).
    done, are you going to play Mr Dickinson

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I have one question about the time control:
    I have been playing around with the red dgt2000 and have been trying to set this time control. I want to know, do I have to preset the 40 move time control? I dont seem to be able to get the timer to add the second 15 minutes unless I set the move counter. Is there a way around that using the previously advertised time control?

I have been using option 23 and 25 on the red dgt clocks. Maybe other ideas
    Garvin, forget about using the move counter ... apart from the fact that it can be wrong (the clock could be pressed again if a player hasn't placed a piece on a square correctly, or perhaps the players forget to press it for one move, both cases would make the move count on the clock different from the actual move count in the game), if you were using an old-fashioned analogue clock, you wouldn't adjust it until one of the flags had fallen anyway, regardless of the number of moves made.
    Just set the clock to have one time period of 70 + 30s and then the second period of 15 + 30 s and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Garvin, forget about using the move counter ... apart from the fact that it can be wrong (the clock could be pressed again if a player hasn't placed a piece on a square correctly, or perhaps the players forget to press it for one move, both cases would make the move count on the clock different from the actual move count in the game), if you were using an old-fashioned analogue clock, you wouldn't adjust it until one of the flags had fallen anyway, regardless of the number of moves made.
    Just set the clock to have one time period of 70 + 30s and then the second period of 15 + 30 s and you'll be fine.
    i have been playing around with the dgt2000 again and still on option 25 it doesnt add the second time period unless you stipulate a move number in the first time control.

I believe this time control can be set as fide have used it in the past, i think at the last semi open libyan chess championship.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    done, are you going to play Mr Dickinson
    I haven't played chess in months (apart from the correspondence).. I'm taking a break from it for a little longer, so no to that and no to the Tin Cup.

I haven't played chess in months (apart from the correspondence).. I'm taking a break from it for a little longer, so no to that and no to the Tin Cup.
    i wasnt asking about the tin cup it is six rounds and $50 so I wont be there.

Round 1 results:

Code:
    No Name                          Loc  Total  Result   Name                     Loc  Total

1 Edwards, Jacob A (1)          1989 [0]      1:0    Tangimetua, Tyson (15)   1330 [0]  
     2 Humphrey, John (17)           1277 [0]      0:1    Peters, Stephen J. (2)   1912 [0]  
     3 Alkin, John (3)               1762 [0]      1:0    Richards, Wilfred (18)   1231 [0]  
     4 Lyons, Kieran C (19)          1220 [0]      1:0    Buciu, Aurel-John (6)    1633 [0]  
     5 Flitcroft-Smith, George P (7) 1631 [0]      1:0    Grenfell, Regina (20)    1118 [0]  
     6 Scott, John D. (22)           1098 [0]      0:1    Leidal, Tamas (5)        1654 [0]  
     7 Al Zaher, Louay (9)           1593 [0]      1:0    Johnston, Andrew (23)    1085 [0]  
     8 Wilson, Sean (24)             837  [0]      0:1    Duggan, Howard (10)      1581 [0]  
     9 Korenevski, Oleg (11)         1572 [0]      1:0    Rogers, Jim (25)         786  [0]  
    10 Borrill, Mark (26)            735  [0]      0:1    Nutt, Jeff (12)          1525 [0]  
    11 Leidal, Gabor (21)            1115 [0]      1:0    Lloyd, Martyn (27)            [0]  
    12 Vogel, Robert (30)                 [0]      -:+    Buciu, Avram (13)        1444 [0]  
    13 Holt, Stuart (14)             1436 [0]      1:0    Wilson, Bernie (31)           [0]  
    14 Mckay, Nicholas (28)               [0]      0:1    Chelebichanin, Nenad (8) 1613 [0]  
    15 Bailey, Cameron R (4)         1761 [0]      1:0    Summers, Terry (29)           [0]  
    16 Russell, Luthien (16)         1289 [0]     .5:0    BYE

Thread Information