Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    And George and Garvin were trying to convince Roman to sponsor the Aus Champs in Brisbane in 2006. I had assumed that this meant they were working together on this as well.
    Then why does Garvin try to hang so much shit on George here?? I do realize that Garvin is relatively young and would probably score below average on the IQ test, but still...

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Graeme Gardiner is involved in Brisbane 2006 - with or without sponsorship from Accor.
    Ah, but there were/are two Brisbane bids in the pipeline. One was the Gardiner/Humphries bid and the other was the Gray/Howard(?) bid. Sadly the second bid tried to sabotage the first bid by bagging Graeme out to Roman in an effort to secure sponsorship money.

And George and Garvin were trying to convince Roman to sponsor the Aus Champs in Brisbane in 2006. I had assumed that this meant they were working together on this as well.
    this is in fact incorrect. George doesnt have any plans for the 2006 championships anywhere. I was looking at accor sponsorship for 2006 in qld, but unless there is a major change, I have abandoned those plans after the month at mt buller.

Originally I was hoping for some kind of deal for 2006 championships, but after a conversation with Roman, i realised this was a forlorn hope.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Then why does Garvin try to hang so much shit on George here?? I do realize that Garvin is relatively young and would probably score below average on the IQ test, but still...
    It seems they must have had a falling out at some stage, although when I was there they seemed as thick as thieves.

It seems they must have had a falling out at some stage, although when I was there they seemed as thick as thieves.
    I think to be fair to Garvin, he actually wanted the whole thing to work and he recognised (at least in most of my dealings with him), that customer service was important. On many occasions over the last 6 months, he was the one to try and come up with a rational solution to a problem and George was the one who stepped in and squashed it.

it is called being second in charge and trying to give the impression that we are a unified organising team. But more and more I realised that I couldnt support most of the decisions George was making, especially after George unloaded on Michael Lip.

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    George was telling all the junior parents that it was definitely back in Mt Buller in 2007 and that he would be running it......
    Under what authority would George be able to make such a claim?

Yeah it seems to be a repeating pattern in oz chess. Executive power on a volunteer basis leads to a niche market in the chess scene with a paying gig.

In fact there are an incredible amount of examples of this behaviour that litter the Australian chess scene. I presumed the ACF was running the show, but maybe there is actually nobody.

Cheers FG7
    P.S I wouldn't suggest Graham Gardiner is beyond reproach either in regards to this

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Don't know as I understood it was all up for review by the ACF and George was only 1 of a number of people on the review sub-committee.

I presumed the ACF was running the show, but maybe there is actually nobody.
    Once George agreed to assume liability for any losses and also to take profits, it then became a business enterprise.

P.S I wouldn't suggest Graham Gardiner is beyond reproach either in regards to this
    I am not opposed to businesses in chess. Although I have always done my work on a purely volunteer basis, I see a valuable role for chess businesses in chess development. It needs to be married with an ethical outlook and I feel Graeme has this.

CC Grandmaster
    None. Even after the sub-committee reports, future events still need to be proposed and accepted by the ACF before any guarantees can be made about future events.

Some general comments:

Quote Originally Posted by AES
    Adelaide: central location, heaps of restaurants and hotels, activites a-plenty. Always a winner. Having the venue at the University was great due to its location in the city and spacious grounds. The venue itself was exceptional. Ian Rogers described playing conditions as very good. [9/10]

Venue

Adelaide very good [8/10] 4th floor Adelaide Uni. Great venue because it was spacious and there were rooms next to the playing hall where people could talk, buy chess books, tvs, canteen etc.
    I agree with this. I didn't play the Champs but was there at the time and it is an impressive venue.

Website

Mt Buller: good. [6/10] Fancy setup but hello, where is the information? Where were the pictures? Information was very poorly set out. We had to scroll through a huge word document
    I was disappointed with the lack of pictures.. digital cameras are not hard to come by these days and it really wouldn't have taken all that long to upload some.

Internet Coverage

Mt Buller: average. [5/10] It's a pity. While the live games were exceptional with 8 boards in total, thanks Karthick!, the lack of standings/crosstables was inexcusable. I think the blame lies faire and square with Karthick who was always sent the files. But that is just my opinon.
    I don't think this is accurate. I know there were times when Karthick was simply not sent those files - he was waiting, waiting, waiting for them and they never came. What really should have happened was to specify a consistent time of when they would arrive, upon which they could have been instantly transferred. You can't expect K to stay up past 1am waiting for those files.

INTERESTINGLY, both Mt Buller and Adelaide had the same time to prepare. So there are no excuses in regards to the amount of time.
    I agree with Garvin here, it's unfair to make such a one-dimensional assessment as everyone is quite aware of the negative impact of having Cordover withdraw.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    My Experience

The recent delay with the website is because my net connection broke due to storms. Site should be updated soon.

SP Files:

But before this problem (around round 10 of junior?), I was sent a lot of these files after 1AM, some times at 3AM and on a couple of occasions 4AM (and usually this is the day after the round).

PGN Files:

PGN's were damn late, like 2 or 3 days late, with files usually jumbled up, games not in the right file, and files not clearly labelled, and basically confused me, as you can see in the zip file there are multiple naming standards, multiple (1) files, etc.

Photos:

After asking for information many times, I just got tired of all this. I was told the organisers at Mt Buller did not want to give me pictures, which is probably true, I think they want to sell their CD's and make some profit or something.

News:

I got a couple of news items from Garvin which Charlez Z had wrote, but the first one, came extremely late. It was also written by George (which was extremely poor quality) and which was later rewritten (by Garvin; Much better this time), and then I wrote one using the information in both.

Online Signup:

This was much more successful than any of us had thought it could be. We recorded some US$3,000 in signups (not bad for a first time). As far as I am aware, there have been no complaints regarding the online signup and it was fairly easy to use.

Sponsors:

The sponsors did not co-operate while I was creating the website. They wanted their logos on the website and they sent me some huge 5MB files. I just searched the net instead and found some alternative pictures, which they refused to send me.

Also, George got someone to help with the brochure, and was working on Mac format. When I requested some file format, I was told that I have no idea what I am doing and that I should rewrite the whole thing into MS word manually.

I have also heard some things that George has said, and I am shocked that he would behave in such a way to his customers.

The 03 Open set the standard, in terms of tournament and website.

Please note I was forced to work with George and team. The only reason I accepted to work with Cordover is because he obviously realises the power of such media, and placed a very high value on the website, however it is unfortunate that some of these Victorians go straight to serving up legal threats and/or documents when there is a conflict.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray

Alex, I notice in your evaluation that you dont say a single bad word about the Adelaide Championships. No event is perfect and each event can be improved on next time. I am sure there were negatives about how the Adelaide events were run, but you dont mention them in detail, or with the same negative language that you used for Mt Buller problems.

Unfortunately, this gives a massive indication of bias towards the Adelaide events.
    Garvin the reason Alex doesn't mention negatives about Adelaide is not bias. Any negatives to the Australian Championships were really quite minor(I seem to remember some of the floorboards in the playing hall of the closed division creaked slightly if you walked in the wrong place). Basically the tournament was very well-run and smooth. My most annoying moment was being told in the 1st round I (as Black) couldn't decide what side the clock would go on, which was my fault for not knowing the rules(arbiter decides where clock will go in a normal-length game).

CC Candidate Master
    With regards to the Adelaide Event, all in all i was very happy with it and proud to effectively be in the main organiser role and working with a great, experienced team. In saying that, I have also learnt and enjoyed working with the Mt Buller team, although it is no secret in saying we had our challenges. Scott did mention some of the disadvantages, others were:

1) The heavy lack of funding. We had a great sponsor in Avairs Lidums but it was difficult to find extra cash to support the event. I used my contacts in the Union Building to get a $2000 union grant, and reduce venue hire/cleaning costs to $1000, and get a cheap BBQ on the first night. Even then the budget was still tight, so I personally funded some of the players refreshements - and things such as colour bulletins and fancy tournament brochures were not practical. Everything was volunteer apart from arbiters who were not paid as much as Mt Buller. The Canteen made no money whatsoever and was a service to players rather than a money raiser - debatable whether this should have been switched.

2) The high entry fees - unfortunately I was brought on board after the entry fees/basic prize structure had been submitted and passed to the ACF. This could have been lowered in my opinion, and any loss would have been overcome by increase in numbers. Having said this no players complained during the event as we gave them plenty of free refreshments, cheap canteen/lunch food, and free newspapers and all sorts of other stuff.

3) Lack of experience in live games & only dialup connection - lead to frequent dropout of the connection, and problems at times. Only four boards was a bit limiting. We asked for more from Gary Bekker but some had been tied up overseas which I was a little frustrated over (are they meant to be prioritised for the Champs?). However, we overcame this by entering games during play on our bulletin board.

4) Final night party compatability: Unfortunately the final night party could not cater for everyone and was too loud and raucus for some - we perhaps should have had two periods - quiet talking and loud dancing. But the players liked the 15 free cartons of beer and 5 free casks of wine.

One thing I would have liked at Mt Buller that we had in Adelaide was the Public Lectures, but this did take a bit more organising effort and is not a priority. In adelaide, Alex Davidovic and Alan Goldsmith kindly volunteered their time to lecture during the day on the previous days /current days games, and top playres (such as Rogers, Johansen) commented in the evenings on their games that day. Cathy Rogers was extremely helpful by couriering the moves up to the lecturer from the main playing hall.

Hope these comments may also prove helpful for the queensland mob.

Cheers, Andrew
    Last edited by adelandre; 25-01-2005 at 06:22 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Is the 2006 Juniors definitely going to held in Brisbane and if so does anyone know the dates.

Quote Originally Posted by faeces gambit
    Is the 2006 Juniors definitely going to held in Brisbane and if so does anyone know the dates.
    As far as I am aware no formal bids have been made to the ACF yet for the Australian Championship or the Australian Junior.
    The only known fact is that QLD intend to submit bids for both events.

Thread Information