Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The Aus Junior for 1989 was held in Brisbane from June 24 to July 2nd and was won by Peter Cotton.
    Thanks Bill. I couldn't remember the exact dates, although I do clearly remember the SACA trying to have the event not recognised as an official Australian Junior on the (reasonable) grounds that as the school holdays didn't line up for all the states, SA juniors (and possibly others) were unable to attend.

try series not parallel ...

The events could always be held consecutively instead or concurrently ie at 2 rounds per day ... a bit like the way Brian Jones partially? arranged the Australian Open at Penrith.

Would the junior events be held first, or the regular events?

FIDE doesn't mind 2 rounds per day for top events these days, do they?

Maybe it only allows 2 rounds per day every second day.

Oh well, the blitz, lightning, rapid, bughouse,... national conference!! could be held on those spare half days.

Imagine what a fun packed fortnight it would be !!

Mark

I am a parent of a junior who, horror of horrors did NOT play up. My reasoning was manifold, but in terms of the posts to date...It was an easier option for my kid to play up but then I realised that he was just trying to avoid the pressure of being expected to win. Learn to play under pressure..sort of... and don't avoid a challenge by playing a tournament where you are not expected to do well. Many parents I spoke to said that what was the point of playing in that tournament as so and so was going to win. This saddens me as it gives the message that you only play where you have a chance of winning. This is junior chess...no one knows what will happen.

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Hello,

While I sympathise with No Ideas discussion, I certainly believe that chess is a unique game that offers deep psychological insights into human character. That considered I would ask no idea, "since when has winning been the main focus for chessplayers?", and secondly, "if chess is a competitive game what did you think the outcome would be?"

Look beyond results. If your child shows talent, that talent will manifest itself naturally. Its all about the journey, not specifically one result.

Secondly, competition is not a negative. Competition is good , provided, you enter into it with the right mind framework, in which you don't comprimise yourself. Competition forces you to compete against others in difficult circumstances. This is not necessarily a bad thing, provided the result is not the be all and end all.

Stick around chess long enough and it will show you- your self, art, culture, belief and humanity. In that way it is like any art pursuit. Caissia has never been just about the result it has always been lived.

Cheers FG7

I agree. I said that I didn't want my junior to choose which tournament to play in based on whether he would be under pressure or not. There were other reasons why he didn't play up, based on what I could manage . I had another junior with me who was playing in the mornings, and a non chess playing kid with me. I don't think I could have had one kid playing in the morning and one in the afternoon and still entertain the two who were not playing at the time.
    my junior plays chess for the love of the game but winning is fun.

CC FIDE Master

Players playing up

A couple of years ago I had a debate with Brett Tindall, about the pros and cons of 'playing up'. My opinion at the time, is that a keen ambitious player should always play up, but Brett made a good point, that playing in your natural division provides a different sort of pressure. If player 'A' is 1500 and he/she plays in the minor (U1600) than the aims are going to be different than if the same player plays in U2000 event.
    A few years back I played Doeberl major and scored 1/5 (I took 2 byes), and at 1100 statistically I had a good event. 2 draws with players 1500+, but I didn't play well, and I didn't really care... so I went off partying into the night...
    The last year I played the minor I was about 1550, and my intent was to win. I made it to 4/4, but blew a sandshoe in R6 and ended up on 5/7, I took the event more seriously, because I expected myself 2 win.
    Playing up is useful, but its not the be all and end all...

Balance is needed....
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Thread Information