Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Almost correct Peter Jovanovic had visa problems so missed the first round, so he was not a loss.

OK what can I say - lets do some word associations to describe the situation here.

Chaos
    Anarchy
    Faulty Towers (not our hotel, but many others)
    Inspector Cloiseau

Hopefully it is day 2 and things will get better. I went to the technical meeting yesterday with Darryl and Manuel. I have gone to many of them over teh years - I have never before seen anyone (the Welsh head of delegation), stand up and almost cry and ask for a boycott of the opening ceremony as a protest and be met with thunderous applause.

The technical meeting (which is supposed to discuss chess started off with a tirade from M Touze blaming the delegations for the problems - too many parents came - they were expecting 950 children not all these extras! and the delegations didn,t travel together - how were they supposed to cope with this and no-one except Australia has done all their photos (Well no-one was telling anyone to do it - I overheard an american say they had had their photo taken so I went and found the photo place and rounded everyone up and got the photos done, but no-one told us to do it.)

In spite of being told we would hqve multiple buses, so thqt the younger kids could get home after their game and go to sleep their is only one bus a night at 9:15. When I asked for a second bus for the little ones; I was told teh Australians were trouble makers. However that was early in teh day - I now think they think we are at teh good end.

Manuel has a car and is ferrying people home 4 at a time. We finally managed to get a bus home and got home at midnight last night.

You have to race around the buses and negotiate with a bus driver to take you. Julie was doing this and the Welsh guy butted in and ordered the bus driver to take them - when Julie gently indicated she was talking first he told her to piss off;

We,ve also had a Russian Push Jak off a seat - fortunately Jake, Mum didn,t see

On the whole we are fine - we have good conditions - hotel is good rooms are great and we are not far from, the venue: The organisers told everone at teh meeting that the reason we had a good hotel, was that we were the first or second to book and pay A lot of people are very unhappy and angry:

The first round did start late, but notas late as crete and I think it should be good today - first round is always difficult: Opening cermony is fun: Moulthun carried the flag, because he is Aus Junior Champion and I asked Manuel to accompany him as a thank-you for all he has done for the team. Hae a lovely photo of them that I will try and put up - might be when I get back.

The worst part is we have to go to teh venue at 12:45 and don,t get back to our hotel until 10 pm or later (and have to fight tooth and nail for a bus).

Coming ho,e last night some-one made the comment that you couldn,t create this much chaos if you deliberately tried.

I am not going to rate this tournament yet - defintely worse than Greece, but ot sure about Spain yet. The people are very nice here:

Must go

I think part of the problem with on going problems like this ie it keeps happening from world youth to world youth is that the organisers and head honchos know that the tournament will still go ahead and the players will play.

Sometimes a stand needs to be taken and the players, administrators etc of all the teams should refuse to play and stick to their guns until things are done well.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I think part of the problem with on going problems like this ie it keeps happening from world youth to world youth is that the organisers and head honchos know that the tournament will still go ahead and the players will play.

Sometimes a stand needs to be taken and the players, administrators etc of all the teams should refuse to play and stick to their guns until things are done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    Oh let's not go there again!

AR

But were you expecting it to be any better, perhaps it is revenge for us beating them in the Rugby.

Good Luck today to the team.

I thought it was a bit late this morning [Aust], (last night/early morning) [France] that James let me know his result by sms.

Whilst you are at it Jenni, why don't you ask about their website?
    John Cronan

Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    I'm hopeless with international times etc but have the kids started yet? First game was on 19/7 so I thought we might have some results?
    Hi Libby,

Try this convienient website:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_FR.aspx

John Cronan

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Oh let's not go there again!

AR
    C'mon, I was being (relatively) good

CC Candidate Master
    World Juniors webpage

http://www.echecs.asso.fr/(0eywmfvstqtovava3mskh5r1)/Default.aspx?lg=en

Quote Originally Posted by ggardiner
    World Juniors webpage

http://www.echecs.asso.fr/(0eywmfvstqtovava3mskh5r1)/Default.aspx?lg=en
    Thanks Graeme, that one works.

And Vaness is in the Girls Under 16 after all? We don't have a girl in the u18?

PS Congrats to some fast starters in Luthien, Moulthen & Junta (and anyone I forgot).

Yesterday flowed much better - the actual tournament is being very well run and the arbiters are good.

We had fun with the bus last night. I had checked with the organisers and been told 10B was our bus leaving at 9:15. Everyone was finished by about 8 and my enthusiastic parents decided to go and hunt for our bus. Bonnie Wu came back and said she had found it and everyone who had finshed dinner rushed off to hold places. Jenny Cronan had made an Australian Bus sign, the bus driver was pro Australia and Bonnie,s husband sttod at teh door refusing entry to any non Australian (there was no way teh Russians were goign to beat us this time!)

I arrived at 20 past 8 we only had 4 more people to go and we were ready to set off. Unfortunately one of teh organisers arrived, tore up both bus signs (us and theirs) and said it was not our bus. It turned out that although their sign said 10B it als said 10. Apparently the bus was first a 10 bus and took people somewhere in the sticks then cme back to the venue, became a 10b bus and became ours. So we were evicted and told to wait until 9:15. We ended up walking home instead - very pleasant and social walk. Took about 40 minutes.

All are well and working hard. Peter has arrived and drew in the second round with the boy Gareth beat. Peter said he wasn,t sure why the boy accepted his draw and we told him that he had turned down Gareth,s draw and then lost, so he probably wasnt in the mood to take any more chances against Australians!

The French stuffed up Vaness category and it is better for her to play the under 16, so we left her there.

Dinner was good last night - I had 4 varieties of potatoe. Others managed to get some meat; but not me!

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Moulthun up to board 7. Another win would be nice

Scores after 3 rounds

Open under 18

Gareth 2
    Vincent 1
    Peter .5

(both Peter and Vince suffering the NF effect)

Open under 16

James O 1
    James C 1
    Chris Wallis .5

Girls Under 16

Vaness (Candy-Cane) 2
    Heather Huddleston 1.5
    Miona Ikeda 0

Miona is loving every game and has become motivated to continue with chess when she gets back to Australia

Open Under 14

Moulthun 2.5
    Junta 1.5
    Edwin 1
    Dereck 1

Girls Under 14

Tamzin 1.5

Open Under 12

Zhigen 2
    Justin 1

Girls Under 12

Luthien 2
    Molly MGarity 1.5
    Sally Yu .5

Open under 10

Yi Yuan 1
    Jake McCook 1

Girls under 10

Emma Guo 1.5

Daily % a bit less than usual - we have 12 out of 22 playing for first time; so a bit of an inexperiened team.

Day 1 - 38% day 2 50% day 3 38%

Quite a lot of security and bag searching (and really cute guard dogs)! When a local boy rode his bike up to the door of the restaurant area the guard and the dog attacked him - it was a bit scary to see them taking it so seriously:

We still don,t have any registration tags - would be nice to have them, but realistially there are too many people to enforce them anyway.

So far we have 10 people on 50% or better, with Moulthun the best performer with a +2 score. He has a very hard one today. Tomorrow is a doubled up day, so no time to internet.

what is the nf effect?

also double days, your fav hey Jenni

Official site is up again http://www.belfort-echecs.com/?lang=en

After 4 rounds everyone is on the board -

U10 B
    Yi Yuan 2/4
    Jake McCook 1/4

U12B
    Zhigen 2/4
    Justin .5/4

U14B
    Moulthun 3.5/4
    Junta 2.5/4
    Edwin 2/4
    Derek 1/4

U16B
    James c 2/4
    James O 1/4
    Chris .5/4

U18B
    Gareth 2/4
    Peter 1.5/4
    Vincent 1/4

U10G
    Emma 1.5/4

U12G
    Molly 2.5/4
    Luthien 2/4
    Sally 1.5/4

U14G
    Tamzin 1.5/4

U16G
    Vaness 2.5/4
    Heather 2/4
    Miona .5/4

And here http://www.echecs.asso.fr/(0eywmfvstqtovava3mskh5r1)/Resultat2.aspx?URL=Tournois/2005/Belfort/BelfortEquipes&Action=Cl is where we rank as a national team (by top 10 results)
    Last edited by Libby; 23-07-2005 at 08:26 AM.

After 6 rounds (double header last night) -

U10 B
    Yi Yuan 3/6
    Jake McCook 1/6

U12B
    Zhigen 4/6
    Justin 1.5/6

U14B
    Moulthun 3.5/6
    Junta 2.5/6
    Edwin 2/6
    Derek 2/6